• This topic has 74 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Poll: Who can pull wheelies?
  • vonplatz
    Free Member

After spending the last few days chasing the elusive unicorn of a decent effortless wheelie, I’m close to throwing the towel in again just like I did when i was 12.

I can get the front wheel up and over stuff no problem but the rolling along on the back wheel with a woodbine nonchalantly hanging out the corner of my mouth seems beyond me. Is it even important?

How am I ever going to pull a decent manual?

wiggles
    Free Member

I can’t wheelie…

… and I even live on a council estate so I am very much breaking a tim honoured tradition.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope

mindmap3
    Free Member

Nope. They’ve never lasted more than a few pedal strokes…my manuals aren’t much cop either.

caspian
    Free Member

Wheelies and manuals – a world apart! Wheelies are easiest uphill, slowly, easy gear. Manuals are far harder I find (can do bmx but nowhere near the balance point on an mtb) but are best learnt using car park spaces to feel some progress, which is essential if you’re going to stick it out.

Good luck!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Nope as above

singlespeedstu

Is it even important?

Hell yes.
    How do you even hope to get a girl pregnant unless you can casualy roll past on the back wheel with a can of stella in one hand and a five sheet construction burning away in your gob?

Superficial
    Free Member

Wheelies are pointless but relatively easy to learn
    Manuals are pretty useful on the trail but way harder to learn

Apart from maybe using a small wheelie to pop the front wheel over obstacles, there’s not much practical use. I love the feeling of wheelies – they’re just fun. But you can’t really do them without being accused of “showing off”.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve never been able to wheelie.

But I can manual fine. Years of riding BMX helped there I guess.

Bregante

I can remember being able to wheelie for ages on my Raleigh Medale racer when I was about 14. Sadly that was the last time I managed it.

gerryberry
    Free Member

I can wheelie. I can also manual, but only sat down…

DrP

Yeah – one handed and everything!!

DrP

jordie
    Free Member

Nope gave up after crashing my Grifter into a wall trying back in 82. I sometimes try again but nope still cant manage it,keeping 2 wheels on the ground is safer.
    J.

carlos
    Free Member

Yup and pretty well too. 😉 Can’t manual more than about 10ft though which is much more useful on the trails. I’d defo trade a manual skill for the wheelie skill

Even got a Danger Panda Shot 😉

vonplatz
    Free Member

Wheelies are pointless but relatively easy to learn

That’s fighting talk where i come from.

vonplatz
    Free Member

Carlos that looks like Spain, are you Spanish?

winch
    Free Member

Yup, I am awesumz. I have witnesses too.

granny_ring

Not me, mind you not tried since being ‘jedied’ but it will still probably be a no!

somafunk

I can only get a few pedal strokes in before it goes tits up to one side or the other and my manuals rarely last 20 yards, but put me on a motocross bike and i’ll wheelie through all the gears and hold it till the tank runs dry 😀

onandon
    Free Member

I can’t wheelie for more than about 20 yards. It wasn’t always the case. I once got thrown off of the velodrome at palmer park in Reading for doing two full laps on my back wheel during a sponsored cycle, age 15 on a raleigh mustang ( the pink n purple one )

carlos
    Free Member

Good eyes. It is, last years trip and it was Awesome.

Nah, not Spanish. Born and bred in Cheshire

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been practising for ages but I’m still rubbish at them! Can hold a wheelie or a manual but not for very long at all… The funny thing with manualling is that the variety where you pump manual for a while through rollers is actuated and held completely differently to the variety where you just keep the front wheel up on flat ground.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I ruined a Superstar front hub trying to learn to wheelie,

I never managed it.

No, I’m pretty crap to be honest.

However, sat at traffic lights with cars in front of and behind me in town the other day, I successfully pulled off a decent track stand for 20 or so seconds and (for some reason still unbeknown to me – I think I was still pissed), wheelied away when the lights turned green. I must have looked like a massive knob, but fortunately I managed to get about 5 pedal strokes, just until I lost my balance – fortunately that was time to put the power down.

I can’t imagine how much of a knob I’d have looked if I messed it up completely.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR0V49GSyIU[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nope, but my son can wheelie all day, & jump off bus shelters & land in control, etc etc.
    Little git.

Moses

No. Nor can I manual. Can someone teach me, please?

zoo200
    Free Member

I ride flatland bmx, I can manual a whole park on a bmx, MTB needs more weight shift and brake control

vonplatz
    Free Member

Good eyes. It is, last years trip and it was Awesome.

I live there (here), the dryness is easy to spot!

mildred

I’m 43 & I was brought up on wheelies. Without wheelies you couldn’t show your face round my way. They were measured in white line – i.e. How many white lines down the middle of the road you could wheelie, then in minutes.

A sat down manual was called a coaster wheelie when I was a lad.

No. Nor can I manual. Can someone teach me, please?

Isn’t that when you get hold of your nob and pull vigorously & repeatedly.

dizcostix
    Free Member

Can wheelie and manual, takes regular practice to keep the distances high though.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Nope.

tomhoward

Funny this thread should come up. Can wheelie an mtb no problem, learnt to manual (on mtb) a couple of years ago on a skills day, and I’m ok at that. Can’t for the life of my seem to manual my 24″ crusier…

But I digress, the best wheelie I have ever done was today, on my…. (wait for it) fast road bike, uphill, passing a mate who was clearly struggling. (Not a steep climb, but a long drag) the glare I got from him nearly knocked me off, I was only saved by my own smugness :mrgreen:

I know, feel free to bask in my orsumz.

mcnultycop

Not properly, for any distance.

breadcrumb

I can wheelie, grew up on a council estate so it was the only way to roll.

I use to be able to manual downhill a bit. Not a chance on my FS, can’t lift the front anywhere near high enough, I wheelie it up then roll for a bit but that ain’t a proper manual.

tomaso
    Free Member

Can wheelie at will. Sometimes for a bit and sometimes a long section of fire road climb. I do it to practice and relieve boredom on dull climbs.

Manuals I flounder badly at and tend to end up on my ass.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah – one handed and everything!!

DrP

You mean, with one hand still on the bar? Amateur. Real dangerfans do it no-handed.

I sense a theme here. Of the people who can wheelie, can any of them wheelie better than they could aged 15? I certainly can’t. I think somewhere there is a photo of me circa 1999, inspired by Jez Avery no doubt, doing a one-handed / no-front-wheel wheelie. I think that was the pinnacle 🙁

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m crap now, lack of practice.

Here’s how to make it look easy, from about 2:20
    [video]http://youtu.be/F7a78EcJ_yU[/video]

And no handed by ‘the other Matt’ from 18bikes at 3:25!
    [video]http://youtu.be/H54sncDBdcc[/video]

northernerindevon

Can’t manual but working on it. Wheelies – I am tres awesome – normal, one handed and the ultimate; the no handed wheelie!

Tis how I got our lass… (resplendent with Stella, five skin construction and a dose of nonchalance! **may not be true!**)

Seriously, wheelies make riding up hill fun. Plus you can annoy your mates by cruising by popping one handed wheelies while trying to push them off! 8)

Superficial
    Free Member

Here’s how to make it look easy, from about 2:20
    And no handed by ‘the other Matt’ from 18bikes at 3:25!

Hmm, they’re both pretty good. Props 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Poll: Who can pull wheelies?’ is closed to new replies.