• This topic has 74 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Poll: Who can pull wheelies?
  • elliott-20
    Free Member

I love wheelie-ing me.

Probably the first ‘trick’ I ever learned as a kid and just haven’t stopped. 😆

Of the people who can wheelie, can any of them wheelie better than they could aged 15

Probably, but only just. And it took quite a while to find that ‘sweet’ spot on my first FS, especially for manuals.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Yep wheelies no problem but manuals I suck at, just long enough for trail obstacles and the like but that’s it. Wheelies help if you end up at a drop with very little speed, just a quick pedal to
    to take you off the edge.

I do it loads when climbing fireroads, seems to take your mind off the effort because you are trying to balance.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yup, I can wheelie continuously for a good minute or more uphill, including corners in fire roads. Manuals, on the flat I’d be pleased with more than about 30ft but through 2 or 3 rollers is no problem.

Northwind

It is my secret shame. I can do a functional trail manual- like, wheel comes up for long enough to go over a thing- but nothing balance pointy. The one time I really tried, I broke my coccyx and it still bloomin hurts years later so I figure that’s nature’s way of saying NOPE

_tom_
    Free Member

No I’ve never been able to get the balance point and keep on it. Too scared of going over the back I think. I can do manuals through short sets of rollers though, weird.

coastkid
    Free Member

Great for showing off, useless for anything else, learn when your a teenager riding BMX then never stop 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5CeDHKMaA[/video]

stewartc
    Free Member

Just cant get the hang of wheelies, manuals not to bad for short distances.

alpin
    Free Member

yup, wheelies and manuals….

four years ago i couldn’t wheelie. spent six months on Gran Canaria and used to practise on the way to work each morning. had it sorted after 2 months… manuals followed a month or so later, i think.

last summer in South Tirol i went through a speed trap (one of those 🙂 / 🙁 electronic signs) on my back wheel and was clocked at 56kmh! (sad face) i got lots of cheers from the people outside the ice cream shop, too…. 8)

was in London on the weekend and whilst walking along Acton High St two scrotes came past, each on their back wheels, weaving in and out of traffic until a police car appeared and they scarpered! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Even got a Danger Panda Shot

Except it’s not, your hand is on the bar & we can’t see if you are looking st the camera rather than where you are going, but it’s still an awesome pic

takisawa2

No.
    But, I held the unofficial Lichfield BMX back wheel hopping title, with a 100+ score, back in 83′.
    Yeah.

rickmeister

Was going to say coast kid … He never buys front tyres…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Nope. Even as a kid it was never more than a few yards more by luck than good management. I could never find that elusive balance point. I’ve been making a concerted effort to practice – on my big unwieldy 29er no less – but despite *some* improvement I’m still a looonnnggg way off. At least my kids are young and naive enough to be impressed though 😆

carlos
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Except it’s not, your hand is on the bar & we can’t see if you are looking st the camera rather than where you are going, but it’s still an awesome pic

Oh? So it’s a one handed wheelie selfie. Humm not quite got the same ring to it as Danger Panda. Oh well you learn something new everyday.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m arse up, chin on stem XC Jaybouy and seasoned Roadie..

Whaddapoint of a wheelie?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

carlos – Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Oh? So it’s a one handed wheelie selfie. Humm not quite got the same ring to it as Danger Panda. Oh well you learn something new everyday.

It’s ok, the power of the Niche is weak in you, that’s all.

ska-49
    Free Member

Yeah, manual and wheelie happily.
    I can now manual the CX bike for a few seconds and wheelie it reasonably well too. Once you find that balancing point on a bike it becomes pretty easy. I always make sure there is a good back brake though, especially when clipped in 😯

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Once you find that balancing point on a bike it becomes pretty easy

Any tips? Any distance I cover with a wheelie seems to be more a result of momentum than balance. With some practice I do seeming to be getting a bit closer to that elusive front to back balance, but I’m still struggling with the left to right balance. I’m consciously trying not to pull on the bars but trying to sort the front-back balance and the left-right balance is a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time 😆

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Any tips?

Hours of practise 🙂
    I just used to try and wheelie up all the hills coming home from school and them Uni. Wearing a heavy backpack doesn’t hurt either.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I gave up Strava-ing my commute while trying to constantly beat my times a couple of years ago and opted for a different route so I could learn how to wheelie.

It took a whole summer but I’m quite chuffed with myself.

However, I found that I couldn’t do them on my FS MTB?
    I worked out it was because of the huge difference in riding position, so I changed my commuter to a position closer to my MTB and after a while… viola! wheelie both no probs.

When I hit the sweet spot I can manual, but otherwise I rely on the back brake.

It’s a fairly useless skill, but my god it feels great when you get it right!

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d find a flat carpark and just practice.
    I found having the saddle up a touch higher helps to start with.
    Once you’ve found the balancing point drop the saddle again.
    I don’t think it takes that long to wheelie, but to wheelie for long distances takes time.

Note: Do not practice them having just fitted new brakes euro style..You wouldn’t believe how fast/hard you can propel yourself into the floor. I should probably upload the gopro clip of that.

Superficial
    Free Member

Any tips?

Start off going up hills, it’s a lot easier.

Experiment with seat height. I think it depends on the frame (probably something to do with the seat tube angle) but it often makes quite a bit of difference.

Going off the back is OK – if you’re forever scared of doing this then you’ll never progress. Try (with flats, at low speed) deliberately going too far and stepping off the back gracefully. Once you’ve lost the fear of this, learn to ‘catch’ it on the rear brake when you go too far backwards, just before stepping off.

Although people talk about ‘the balance point’, you should spend most of your wheelie time in front of this point. I.e. if you stop pedalling the front will come down. You don’t ever really need to go past the balance point if you’re doing it right (especially up hills).

Side-to-side balance is harder to master but it’s really just practise and if you get to the stage where you’re limited by this you’re doing OK and probably will have developed some ideas yourself. Bandy knees often help.

loverofminkys

Its one of the few things I can really do properly! I can pull up a one handed wheelie no problem, and can on a good day pull up a no-hander. Length wise the best i have done is 4 miles. Tips to learn them is grow up in a village on the somerset levels with nothing else to do! and feather the back brake!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

and feather the back brake!

When I start looping out any attempt to control it with the back brake results in a very sudden return to solid ground for the front wheel. My BB7s are either on or off.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

My BB7s are either on or off.

Not true, it’s always possible to modulate a brake, just be a bit more calm and delicate with them. That level of control is similar to what you’ll need to master wheelies.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Wheelies are the measure of cool. 8)

JPcapel
    Free Member

I would suggest that anyone who can wheelie has been cracking away at the skill from an early age. Trying to pick up wheelies later in life I would expect is harder, but far from impossible.

Some bikes wheelie better than others (short stems, wide bars help). A fairly light weight bike also helps.

Flat smooth ground helps in early days, throw in bumps and it makes the process of balance that bit harder to control.

I’d suggest try saddle lower than usual to aid knees coming out with are key to balance/steering when on the back wheel.

Al boils down to endless practice.

Would agree with a previous post manuals are much harder than wheelies, or coaster wheelies. The manual you have to lean back into, the wheelie is a pop to get the front up.
    I engage the back brake (slightly drag it) from the off.

The perfect wheelie is right on the balance point, so you can stop pedaling regularly and just balance, then add a few more pedal strokes to keep you rolling. I disagree that a wheelie is chasing the balance point just below, that makes a long distance wheelie far too tiring.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Local chav’s do awesome wheelies. They can literally ride anywhere for any distance doing a wheelie, often while one handed.

I guess they get all day and everyday to practice though – and if they trash the bike it’s probably not theirs anyway.

maxtorque

I’ve just started to be able to wheelie for longer than about 5 sec. Unfortunately, my directional control whilst wheelying is, er, poor, to say the least, so right now, my awesome 100m wheelies often end in a ditch/hedge/tree/badger **delete as appropriate!

scaled
    Free Member

Heck, I only really mastered riding no handed yesterday!

I took the Fallowfield loop up to Clayton Vale, it’s so dull that you need something to entertain you. Another couple of rides up there and i should have wheelies sorted.

vonplatz
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    yup, wheelies and manuals….

four years ago i couldn’t wheelie. spent six months on Gran Canaria and used to practise on the way to work each morning. had it sorted after 2 months… manuals followed a month or so later, i think.

Ok, I’ve been trying for a week and haven’t managed it yet. I thought I must be balance impaired but this gives me hope. I’m making it my Holy Grails of skills as people say it’s easy and yet it forever eludes me.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

It’ll take a lot longer than 1 week to master, don’t give up yet!
    As above, you should be right on the balance point, not below it. If you are below it you need to be accelerating continuously to hold the front wheel up. Likewise, if you are trailing the rear brake you won’t be able to maintain it for long. I’d also disagree with those saying saddle down, saddle up will get the front up more easily and bike balanced with the front wheel nearer the ground.

D0NK

Can’t wheely more than a pedal stroke or two before I flop sideways, can manual short distances, eg puddles, short rooty sections, stuff like than. Showboatery has never been my strong point 😉

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

That’s a nope from me, can lift the front up to wheelie over stuff on the trail but that’s the sum of it. I’d love to be able to manual though as this would be much more useful on the trail, plus it looks cool 8)

skiprat
    Free Member

Yep can wheelie with both, one or no hands. Was easier years ago when the headset on my Clockwork (when i was 15) was indexed due to lack of money and lack of maintenance.

Set to straight ahead and off you go……Now the bars move a bit more freely but i still got it 8)

benp1

I’ve been practising a little bit when I take the dog out round my local park. Its a 3 mile route on cycle paths so its easy to practice a bit.

Still rubbish. Can get the front wheel up but typically flop to the side before I get more than 1 full pedal stroke in.

I drop my seat when practising (Reverb) so there aren’t any calamitous moments if I come down badly

No chance of manualling!

I was on a cheap rigid bike the other day and the front wheel came up really easily so I suppose its different for different bikes. I tried it on a boris bike the other day…

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Poll: Who can pull wheelies?’ is closed to new replies.