Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • "Police Operation in Progress" – signs
  • MoreCashThanDash

Is this just a Nottingham thing?

Regularly see large – 3’x4′ – bright yellow signs announcing that there is a “Police Operation in Progress. We apologise for any inconvenience” on my commute. The sign will be in place for a few days or weeks and then get moved on. Usually to another dodgy part of my commute 🙄

Now, I’ve never seen any trace of the Police or their operations near these signs. Which made me wonder if it was a covert operation. Which kind of defeats the object of the sign?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what these signs relate to?

sambob
    Free Member

Could be anything. There’s one near me at the moment stopping cars to ask about a missing 13 year old girl, she’s been missing since last Thursday 🙁 Peak District btw, so not just Notts.

Cougar

Look in the back of the van, can you see anything that looks like this?

MoreCashThanDash

sambob – that the girl from Whaley – was on the front of the Buxton paper?

This is a regular thing though, on different streets in different parts of the commute – I wondered if it was vehicle checks but never actually seen a copper

restless
    Free Member

I have seen them for about the past year and have no idea what they are for.

There has been one on the A52 Wheatcroft roundabout for about 4 weeks now. 😐

sambob
    Free Member

That’s the one. You local?

restless
    Free Member

I live in South Notts and have seen them dotted around the villages for a period of time and then they disappear and turn up somewhere else 😕

Guess they are like the cardboard policeman you see in supermarkets , but for outdoors 🙄

dawson

There has been one on a side road near Clipstone woodsSherwood Pines for some time and I have seen several round Worksop, Notts too.

vdubber67
    Free Member

We obviously have more signs than coppers in Notts, as there’s one in Ruddington too 🙂

longstuff
    Free Member

And in Beeston!

cozz
    Free Member

often seen upon entering LOwdham, notts – depsite me driving through 4 times a day have never seen any coppers – just signs !

mattbee

I like the ones on the road from Midhurst through Easebourne that warn of ‘Unmarked police cars in operation’….

StuF

Seen a few in Stapleford too, they appear, stay awhile and pop up somewhere else later – but no police in sight

ebygomm
    Free Member

Normally see them round Lowdham, but also in Ravenshead and Linby. Never seen any sign of the police.

sobriety
    Free Member

There were some up in Carlton a few months back, never saw any police though.

joemarshall
    Free Member

In the less nice end of Wollaton as well as Stabbo too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nott’s Police force obviously have too much money to spend on signs.

Just a PR stunt showing the “general” public that actually you do have a Police force in and around this area.

Betcha thats the real reason.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the intention is to let the community know their constabulary is dealing with whatever their local problem is (ASB, car crime etc) with a specific targetted operation (plain clothes cops, CCTV etc).

The cynics of us in the job refer to it as Operation Deploy Sign as that’s all that seems to actually happen.

The truth is something inbetween, in that the signs no doubt stay out way after the actual operation ended. There’s been one in a ridgeway car park for about a year and I’ve never seen any police activity up there.

MoreCashThanDash

I think uplink has resolved the query

sambob – live down here between Derby and Nottingham, but I cover the High Peak for work so get the local rag most weeks.

Trimix
    Free Member

Nick one and see what happens – that will answer the question.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Check the local cafe, that’s where they are 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

Nick one and see what happens – that will answer the question.

I looked, but it was chained to a lamppost and I’m not wandering around my local area with a set of bolt cropper late at night!

sambob
    Free Member

Ah right, not a bad place to be working eh. Second person to go missing from Whaley in the last few months, not good for a town of only about 6000.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘"Police Operation in Progress" – signs’ is closed to new replies.