Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Please tell me why I shouldn’t buy . . .
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

. . . one of these . . .

Sorry ’bout the size 😕

I’ve tried to get the damn thing out of my head but it won’t go away. Please tell me that 4″ of travel is plenty for my old bones and that 7″ will only end in tears.

I’m off out for a quick ride.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

You know the correct number of bikes to own is x+1, where x is how many you already have. If you think you want it, you probably do.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1 – Terrible name
    2 – Terrible paint job
    3 – You’ll only want to change it after six months anyway! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

4″ of travel is plenty for your old bones and 7″ will only end in tears.

Sounds like you need one then 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Do you ride downhill courses and jump massive gaps?

If you’re worried about looking after old bones look at 5″ but 7″ and all that weight, and those angles will be so wrong you can’t imagine.

jackthedog
    Free Member

It looks fun to me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nahh, sod it, get one!

If only for that MAHOOSIVE rocker arm!

tinsy
    Free Member

No reason not too, and every reason to go to the Alps with it….

mamadirt
    Free Member

No Gary I mince down d/h courses and ride around massive gaps 😉

Love the name, paintjob and MAHOOSIVE rocker arm but I have to agree that 5-6″ would be the more sensible option (thank God I’m far too old to be sensible).

Just had a quick blast in the local woods for which my Tazer is perfect . . . even forgot to turn my fork lockout off on my fave little drop 🙄

If only I could afford both . . .

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have had the pleasure of riding with a bloke who had one of these. It was astoundingly heavy.

kimbers

i have this

and i feckon love it

if i could tho id get the stinky above, same travel but newer, lighter and stiffer i reckon

use mine for dh days at aston, cwmdown anywhere steep, it is soooooooo much fun

mamadirt
    Free Member

S’OK, it’s all passed over now. I’ve just seen the front page 😛

zaskar
    Free Member

Why not?

-looks a like fun dh toy. Go for it!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Aren’t Kona Stinky frames made out of lead?

The one I had as a hire bike a few years back seemed to have its own gravity field and trail side debris flicked up towards it settled into an orbit by the end of a run.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

S’OK, it’s all passed over now. I’ve just seen the front page

What’s she after now? 😯

Speaking of mahoosive rocker arms:

I can’t help thinking the pivot is in the wrong place…

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆

buries visa card in back garden

rob1984p
    Free Member

Glad its passed, Stinkys and Stabs have always felt sluggish to me but I rode a friends Coiler a few times and really thought Kona had made a great bike.

Ginormica
    Free Member

Kona = BORING!!

end of 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Stinkys have okay geo, but by **** they are heavy not to mention under specced for the price. Also the ride is unremarkable. They are very robust though – except for the bearings which are made from dried horse dung.

There are many better play bikes for the money and what with you being (presumably) a woman and therefore (presumably) much lighter than the average bloke you might be better off looking at something a bit lighter to haul around.

geoffj

I wish I had the balls / ability / time / space for one 🙂

bruk

Mate has one and great going down but smallest hill has him walking and he is pretty fit.
    I struggle to keep up downhill on a hardtail but if I didn’t take the lazy option of walking with him it wouldn’t be long on most rides before I left him behind.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The saddle is lower than the bars so is WRONG!!
    Why the gas mask on the Stinky?–Ahhhh—-

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Much sexier than a Stinky for the Lady ripper..

Women’s specific freerider, almost worth gettting a sex change for..

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oh yes!! Just been browsing the Transition site as it happens. May have to go and dig up the visa card 😉 . Suppose if I saved instead of all this short-term test pilot nonsense I may be able to afford one by next summer . . . sigh.

Northwind

We ride at glentress on wednesday nights a lot, there’s always a guy there at the same time as us doing the red on a stinky. It doesn’t seem to slow him too much, then again he has legs like tree trunks.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re all right. I had a 2004 Stinky – real blast but even though I built it up pretty light it was still a drag to get to the trails . . . loved my 07 Coiler though which was pretty much the same frame (until I put a dent in it 😳 ).

That Syren is only £866.35 (sans shock) though at the mo’ – reckon the £:$ must be recovering 😀 . Mmmmmmmm, glitter black with chrome decals . . . I’m gonna need a bigger money box.

mamadirt
    Free Member

There we go . . .

THREAD CLOSED

and I have 44p on my desk.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Kona Stinky on ebay – circa £600. Easy.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Don’t think I haven’t been looking 😉 . . . but I have a plan now.

Lost the plot though . . . but hey . . .

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’d have no problems riding that Transition myself..apart from size possibly. It has an ugly sister too.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Couple of reviews of the Vixa and the Kona Minxy head to head over on nsmb and mtbr. Don’t think Norco are bringing the Vixa into the UK though.

The Vixa is a light 152 mm / 6″ travel freeride bike . . . with women’s colours . . .

Purple, gold and bathroom green?? No thanks . . . my eyesight’s not that bad . . . yet 😉

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Heavy, slow and handles like an oil tanker – that’s my experience of a Stinky (and that was the £3k Primo!).

Driller
    Free Member

The Stinky is heavy, but they are great fun when gravity takes over, and they don’t break, well mine hasn’t anyway. There always seem to be loads of last year’s models about for bargain prices.

That rear suspension is super-plush, and the travel seems to go on for ever.

Sure they don’t come with super-bling kit, but you might as well snap off an LX mech when you fall off / crash into a tree / bail on a jump etc, rather than an XTR.

Fun.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Please tell me why I shouldn’t buy . . .’ is closed to new replies.