Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Please help! Replace AFR shock
  • eighteentee
    Free Member

Hi all,

Please could someone in-the-know help me? I have a 2008 Specialized FSR Endruro Expert which I’m trying to replace the rear AFR shock with a Fox DHX 3.0 Air as the stock AFR is not quite plush enough for me. Anyway I bought one from eBay, recently serviced by Mojo in the hope it would be a straight swap. It doesn’t seem to be that way! It seems too big (even though I got the exact spec off the Spesh website) – had to let all the air out just to get it in the frame and the Schrader valve seems to foul the top pivot.

Poop.

Does anyone know a shock that will fit my frame?

Cheers
    (a greatful noob) 18t

endurojules
    Free Member

I’ve a 2007 Enduro Expert and have replaced the rear AFR can with a DHX air 5.0 216mm x 66mm. The eye to eye is a touch (we’re talking mm’s) bigger, just to the extent that it is a touch tight on getting the upper link bolt through – but nothing to bad. I’m wondering why you are having trouble with the Schraeder valve though as I’ve no problem with clearance on mine…

What frame size are you running andwhich way round are you putting the shock in?

eighteentee
    Free Member

Hi @endurojules,

I’ve got a medium frame. The bike spec says eye-to-eye is 223mm so I bought a 220mm shock. What I actually find when I take the AFR off is that it looks more like 200mm. I’ve double checked the manual and it says 223mm! I don’t understand.

The problem with value is that it really is so close to the top pivot (linkage?) that it feels like it’s fouling. You can see on the original AFR shock that they put the value at a jaunty angle so it clears the pivot rather than the 90 degrees on the DHX3.

Maybe the DHX5 is different in some way? I can’t see it myself as the picture look identical aside from the extra adjustment bits.

Clearly I’ve gone into this with my eyes closed – the DHX I bought seemed like a good deal as its been rebuilt by Mojo so basically it’s new.

As for position, it looks like it will only run with the pro-pedal facing towards the front rather than the rear.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Shock should be 200mm x 57mm on a 2008 Enduro, same as mine. Where did it say it should be 223mm?

endurojules
    Free Member

I’ve just checked my shock out and the valve faces towards the piggy back of the shock – in front of the rebound dial (towards the front of the bike) I’ve Google imaged the DHX 3.0 and it looks like there’s cans out there that face the other way (behind the rebound dial – towards the back of the bike) it sounds like this is the case on yours?
    I’ve seen shocks that have been run ‘upside down’ as it were (so with the can at the bottom and the stanchion at the top – but with the piggy back facing forwards) aparantly this is okay to do but aesthetically it looks wrong…

eighteentee
    Free Member

It says in the manual that eye to eye is 223mm

endurojules
    Free Member

Forgot to say I’m running mine in Low Bottom Bracket / slack head angle mode (the only way!)

eighteentee
    Free Member

Its defiantly pointing 90 degrees out of the side, however you can see that on the AFR the valve comes out at about 40 degrees to avoid clashing with the top of the pivot link.

The Expert hasn’t got different geometry to the others has it? I’m wondering if the manual is wrong in some way?

Damn. Looks like I’m stuck with a useless shock.

khani
    Free Member

Spesh website say this for the 2008 enduro

Specialized AFR Shock w/ Spike valve, air spring, adjustable rebound and low speed compression, 7.875×2.25″

200×57, you sure you’ve got the right manual?…..
    Edit.. Here
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33444&menuItemId=0

Konastoner
    Free Member

7.875 x 2.25″ is the same measurement as 200 x 57mm.

eighteentee
    Free Member

Costly mistake this one – the PDF I downloaded from the Spesh site definitely states 223mm eye-to-eye. Not sure why this should be wrong unless I’m looking at an old revision or something.

Guess I’ll be sticking this back on eBay then…

richwales

Have you looked at the afr service threads on MTBR forums?I found the shock worked really well after doing it. Quite simple to do once you have the bits.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

eighteentee – the Spesh manual has a typo unfortunately. I put a Fox RP23 on the Enduro SL i used to own and put a 200x57mm on which is the correct size (bike was much improved with the RP23 by the way).

Bregante

As above. A hundred million percent certain it’s a 200 x 57. RP23 or Van RC both transform the bike in my opinion (had both on mine over the last year or so)

eighteentee
    Free Member

On this DHX 3 I had to let all the air out to try to offer it up to the frame. Any idea how much to put back into the main body and the propedal bit?

IA

You let all the air out the boost valve? You’re not supposed to run it with less that 75 psi in there, as it can damage the shock – not sure if just compressing it would cause things to get upset internally.

But to reinflate, go for about 100 in the boost valve and similar in the main can should be fine. Or read the manual!

Stevelol
    Free Member

That manual is a misprint, its been known about for ages 🙁 bummer dude

eighteentee
    Free Member

No I didn’t run it at all as it didn’t even fit on the bike. I just had to let all the air out to get it close to it even fitting. I just need to pump it back up again to get it on eBay. It had a £170 service by Mojo last year so it must still be worth a few quid hopefully.

eighteentee
    Free Member

Well I’ve just ordered a 200 x 57 DHX5 so this one’d better fit!!

eighteentee
    Free Member

Well I got my correct sized DHX 5.0 on now. My main issue seems to be the position of the Schrader valve for the main chamber it’s right (and I mean right) at the top of the pivot linkage – I can’t even get a pressure pump on there without leaning on the bike to compress the shock just enough to get it on!

khani
    Free Member

Iirc spesh specced a dhx4 due to the tight clearance of the air pressure valve,
    You could either unbolt the airvalve end to set it, turn it the opposite way round, or get a chubby mate to sit on it while you do it,..
    Edit, I mean on a coil dhx, if you’ve got an air one and are talking about the air spring valve I have no idea, sorry,..

eighteentee
    Free Member

@endurojules, could you send a pic of how your 5.0 fits in the top linkage? Clearly something is different between yours and mine…

corvette
    Free Member

eighteentee, which MY is the shock you’ve put on?

Or if you can say if the shock has the angled valve or not:

Those are 2008 onwards.

eighteentee
    Free Member

This is mine

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Please help! Replace AFR shock’ is closed to new replies.