Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Please help make my bread more tasty
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi all, I am using a breadmaker and am getting good results after a little practice.
    I just want the bread to have a bit more flavour, i have used a variety of flours, i prefer wholemeal although i often do a mix of white /wholemeal

what do people add to their mixes?

Thanks in advance!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Oats is a good one, try those seed mixtures as well.
    I mix white and wholemeal and get pretty tasty results.

jacksta
    Free Member

rye flour and granary flour is good. I usually do 1/3 rye or granary plus wholemeal and white. you need the white or it gets a bit tough and heavy

pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseeds. you can get a good pre mix from Holland and Barrett or mix to taste

chutney13
    Free Member

fennel seeds and onion.

also used to do a malted loaf, generally half and half with white.

xcgb
    Free Member

Liking these ideas thanks guys!

xcgb
    Free Member

Oats is a good one,

normal porridge oats? I have added the remains of muesli and that helps

Cougar

Onion / sun dried tomatoes / olives?

uplink
    Free Member

Yell.com> bakers

HTH

poppa
    Free Member

Salt.

glenp
    Free Member

Do you mean that it’s not as tasty as regular shop-bought bread? Probably not enough salt in that case. Heaped teaspoon per pound flour, but you can go more.

Those packets of multi-grain and malted flour are nice – try half and half with regular white flour, and don’t skimp on the salt.

xcgb
    Free Member

Glen, yes I am adding 1.5 teaspoons of salt to 450g flour but i am trying to keep it healthy,
    maybe i need to up it a fair bit then!

wwaswas

Oooh, oooh, I can tell my flour joke;

Woman walks into health food shop and says to store keeper: “I’ve just got a new bread machine and I’m looking for some interesting flour to use with it”

Shopkeeper: “Spelt?”

Woman: “Errr, F-L-O-U-R, of course!”

igmc.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

IMO use no salt at all. Concentrate instead on the quality of your flour. English, fresh, and organic.

White flour added in might make it more like shop bread, but dilutes any flavour. Nice for a change but it soon gets dull.

If you must fill it with salt it doesn’t really matter what crummy ingredients you use though, it will kill you early, and taste horrible anyway.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Have to agree with those who’ve said salt, can’t remember offhand but I think I use 5g per 500g of flour

BadlyWiredDog

Malt Extract is great for flavour in granary or wholemeal bread. Try playing around with flour mixes, just adding 20% granary flower to white flower.

There’s a good, cheap paperback that someone suggested on here months ago, er, ‘Fresh Bread in the Morning’, I think it’s called, lots of interesting alternatives to standard loaves and much nicer generally than the recipes supplied with bread machines ime anyway.

beamers

Here mine:

Clicky

Tastes great every time.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

A really easy upgrade to most recipies is just to add an egg.

Treat it as water/milk, whatever fluid your using. ie if its 300mils of water, just make that 300mils including the egg.

Easy.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Oh, and reading beamers clicky reminded me of trick number two. Change the fat (usually veg/olive oil) to butter, or half and half at least.

beamers

I used to use Olive oil (4 tsps I think) and the bread was coming out quite crumbly, i.e no good for making sarnies with.

Replacing the oil with butter sorted it.

smiffy

The really best way to tasty bread is not use a breadmaker, or use it only to get it ready for baking and then bake it properly.

bread needs to go straight into a hot oven, not get gradually warmed up in a sweaty box.

Try it and you really will tell the difference.

And treat organic suggestions with a suitable amount of salt.

willard

Lard. Oil is good (olive especially) but you can’t beat a bit of lard.

Failing that, toast up some cardamon and fennel seeds and put them in the mix.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers guys!

beamers

The really best way to tasty bread is not use a breadmaker, or use it only to get it ready for baking and then bake it properly.

I’m sure you are right. However, it takes 5 minutes max to put the mix in the machine and then 30 seconds max to take it again having turned into a loaf and having had a full nights sleep in between.

Zero faff for not a bad bread result. 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

A gram of crack should do it.

grunty
    Free Member

best way to get flavour is to use a ‘starter’ that has been left for 12-15hrs and then make the bread.

Bread, the old fashioned way (ex-baker)

xcgb
    Free Member

A gram of crack should do it.

Not in the morning surely?

Stoner
    Free Member

my advice is a combination of others above. We’ve been making our own bread for 5 years now. You get better results by hand than with a machine.

Salt is neccesary for a fully developed flavour. It wont kill you.
    A starter usually gives a more sour flavour but a really good texture.

Olive oil can work well enough as a fat if there’s plenty of protein in the grain, but hard fat makes for a better consistency loaf (Lard or butter)

Our daily loaf is a wholegrain mix, allisons dried active yeast, salt and olive oil. Awesome “meaty” toast which is how we usually eat it. A bit too heavy for use as sandwiches for me but the wife likes her sandwiches like that. But then she eats homemade musili and seed mix for breakfast….

carlosg
    Free Member

Chopped walnuts and honey , oh yes it’s lurvley!!

woody2000

Bit of parmesan or marmite instead of salt if you like

xcgb
    Free Member

marmite eh hadnt thought of that!

Fancy a cheese and onion one though, are fresh onions ok or do they need to be dried?

portlyone

Mashed potato in place of some of the flour.

Gives the texture a lovely soft feel though you have to be handy when it comes to the kneading part.

Houns

Erm how’s about slicing it and using the slices to form one of those new fangled sandwiches? 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

Grow your own sourdough yeast! Seriously tasty.

TheFopster
    Free Member

If you are using sugar, use honey instead. Also +1 for malt extract. And another +1 for a starter made day before.
    Must go. Got an inexplicable desire for a sarnie…

theotherjonv

don’t know if it would work in a breadmaker but mix a healthy chug of this into the mixture

http://www.mysecretkitchen.co.uk/products/jumping-jack-chilli-jam.html

and then cube up some strong cheddar and add that too.

Delicious cheese and pickle bread.

[my wife is a consultant for My Secret Kitchen, so in the interests of fairness, other pickles could be substituted. But the results would be nowhere near as good 😉 ]

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Please help make my bread more tasty’ is closed to new replies.