Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Please help having a Rohloff problem !
  • sutty
    Free Member

Right guys, really need someone to shine some light on this, just had to get back home stuck in 7th gear 🙁 bloody hard work when i’m surrounded by hills & live at the top of one lol !
    anyway i purchased this rohloff rear hub off the STW forum last year & have really, only just got round to using it. Basically when it’s cold it works fine but once the hubs warmed up, which is roughly after about an hour, it won’t engage in the first six gears. the shifter rotates freely but for some reason the gears won’t engage inside the hub! i have given the hub an oil service & changed the cables but it is still happening 🙁 !
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem or if anyone has a clue what the problem might be & how to fix it ?
    PLEASE HELP THE NEEDY & GIVE INFORMATION FREELY 🙂
    Cheers guys, in advance !

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

can’t help, but rohloff are meant to be VERY good at looking after peoples hubs (even 2nd hand).

i’d get in touch with them

fortunately i never had to try it when i had mine…

kaesae
    Free Member

Mee! I want to try and find out what’s causing it 😀

The only problem is that there are some idiots stalking me, if they turn up we should ignore them! or nothing will get done.

kaesae
    Free Member

At some point in the mechanism it is being interupted, you need to determine what is going on, can you run the hub through it’s actuation and see at what point the process is interupted?

For example can you run the hub through it’s full range of function with the casing removed to see what is happening or can you determine what is happening from the characteristics or traits that it shows when operated, is there any sign of excessive wear on internal or external components, that would indicate excessive tightness between components?

Can I see a photo of the hub?

Stoner
    Free Member

if you remove the clickbox and move the shifter peg manually with pliers do the gears engage or does it spin freely without changing the gears?. If the former, then maybe the click box is worn and spinning on the shifter peg (or the click box is not screwed on properly.

If the latter then send it to rohloff as there’s obviously something wrong inside, and it’s def not the kind of mechanical device you want to be fettling with if you’re not familiar with it. Id have a stab at most things mechanical, but a rohloff is just too much esp when the manufacturer support is so good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Someone in this thread has no idea how a rohloff operates clearly judging by the post :s

Is it iust giving no drive connection at all or is it skipping ?

Has it got a click box ? ( ive only worked on my own which is clickbox)

Remove the click box and go through the gears 1 x 1 using an 8mm spanner to turn at the hub

Ride the bike in between and determine if it works that way

If it works then is likely a cable/clickbox or shifter issue – next step would be to check the clickbox set up as first time i did mine it took some fiddling to get it all right

If it doesnt work at the hub with the 8mm spanner id suggest there may be water content in your oil perhaps freezing up and stopping the plannetary gears engaging

Worth bringing it in the heat for a while and performing a full drain , cleaning oil , new oil service ? Could possibly also be over full of oil and once it thins out with the heat of riding it allows the hub internals to move freely

trail_rat
    Free Member

Agree with stoner – even if you open it and find a problem you have a 99% chance of not being able to fix it anyway

kaesae
    Free Member

Stoner do you need to rotate the hubs action to seat the click box?

How do you seat it ❓
    😀

Found this in rohloffs site 😯
    http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/

kaesae
    Free Member

How do the rohloff hubs compare in terms of weight to a normal hub and gears set up?

sutty
    Free Member

cheers all, but i’m still confused lol ! it shifts fine for about an hour of riding & engages in all gears ! it just seems to be when the hub gets warmed up, hence that’s why i thought it needed a clean & oil change. i’ve done that but it’s still the same. it just seems strange to me that it works fine for about an hour & then starts playing up & not engaging in the first six gears but works fine from seven to fourteen !
    anybody any ideas ?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It does sound like it’s borked inside.. Basically, the first seven, and the last seven are the same range sets engaged with or without an overdrive. It sort of explains it here:
    sciencey bit
    If it’s not cured with an oil change, then I’d suspect that the overdrive (or whatever they choose to call it) is not engaging.. Speak to SJS Cycles, but I’d bet it’s got to go back to Germany.
    I’d make sure though that the shifter is engaged on the click box mechanism at the right point. Turn them both to the shifter and the engagement octagony thing to the end of their stroke and then re-engage them?

sutty
    Free Member

cheers will try that & speak to SJS on monday. Just seem strange why it does work & becomes intermitant after an hour of riding but i suppose these things are sent to try us 🙂
    i totally understand how the rohloff hub works & how to service,set-up etc but just can’t get to the bottom of this problem & have to agree that it will probably have to go back to germany to solve it 🙁
    i was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their rohloff ?

kaesae
    Free Member

How hot is the hub when it stops working ❓ over heating might cause it to be come unpredictable, just a thought 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

Let’s see the hub, is it a disc brake version? ❓

sutty
    Free Member

disk brake version with clickbox & the hub isn’t hot, just normal operating temperature when the blighter gives me some grief 🙂

kaiser
    Free Member

be suprised if SJSC have any interest in helping you unless they’re making money.they’re experts at bigging the rohloff up and exaggerating ( read some of their literature written by Andy Blance ). I love my rohloff and have had a couple of problems one which involved posting back to Germany for new bearings. The other was a stiff freewheeling mechanism which when I initially spoke to the workshop guys at SJSC they didn’t have a clue about. An hour later after reading the manual and the use of a hammer ( recommended tool) all was well again. I’d be 99% certain that if you contact Rohloff customer services they’ll sort it for you and return free of charge (outgoing postage will be your responsibility ) They go to great lengths to keep the somewhat false legend that their hubs are pretty much bullet proof.Great product though despite it’s shortcomings and Fantastic customer service even if you’re not the original purchaser.
    Can you keep us updated please
    Also might be worth posting on the rohloff section at the SJSC’s /Thorn forum… some real geeks there who can completely strip the hub into all it’s individual pieces and reassemble with little difficulty.

sutty
    Free Member

Finally a Result ! believe it or not, it was just one of the pawl springs that was worn slighty 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Please help having a Rohloff problem !’ is closed to new replies.