Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Platelet dontation?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

does anyone do this instead of donating blood this? i had a test to find out if my platelet count is high enough at my last blood donor session.
    how long does it take? i'm assuming that its no different to giving blood but they just take the platelets out

carlosg
    Free Member
    matthewjb
    Free Member

how long does it take?

I was thinking about this as well. When I asked the last time I gave blood they said it was significantly longer as Carlosg has said.

Sort of rules it out for a quick lunchtime visit

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

I do it! Did it this morning. My platelet count isnt high enough for a full donation. I do baby packs as I have a rare platelet type that is used for babies whose mothers anti bodies attack their immune system! They ring me every few weeks to come in and donate. It takes me about 40 minutes for a single donation so if you can give full donation should be abotu 1hr 20/30minutes!

MicArms

Me too, high platelet cvount so I can do 3 units at a time. Normally looking @ 2 hours on the machine though, plus all the admin faff before hand..

MicArms

Ans as too how they do it, insert needle, draw blood into centifruge, separate the platelts out, re insert blood. Machine constantly draining your blood, but every now and then the deplateleted blood is returned, approx 6 min cycle.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Me to, more normal Double donation here, I go every 4-5 weeks
    'Plugged In' for about 60-70 mins + forms etc each time.
    about 2 hours in all

The anti-coagulant can give some a slightly odd but very mild tingle in their lips or fingers, sometimes tickles the back of my nose and makes me sneeze
    nothing other than that though

You get a pretty good snack selection nowadays, yum yum

oh and the platelets look like you've wee'd in a bag 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Platelet dontation?’ is closed to new replies.