Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Places to get custom wheel builds?
  • Janesy
    Free Member

Any good places around for custom wheel builds?
    Its for a road wheel set.

Ive looked on JRA – expensive
    Action sports.de – cheap any good?

Any others worth looking at.

On a side note, what are Fun Works N76 light road hubs like? they look light but are they free spinning with good bearings?
    I want to build a pair of Stans Notubes Alpha rims btw.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hoqw cheap do you want??

I looked at pretty much all the uk builders and JRA were the cheapest by a fair way (and did a quality build)

ElShalimo

try Merlin Cycles
    they still make quality wheels

Aidan
    Free Member

Strada http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/

Not had anything built by them but, talking to them on the phone, they’re pretty fanatical about wheels.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where are you based? I know of a few very, very good wheelbuilders I would be happy to recommend.

njee20
    Free Member

Heard good reports about Strada too, some friends have had some top end wheels built by them.

Read something from them regarding wheels that I fundamentally disagreed with though, forget what!

On a side note, what are Fun Works N76 light road hubs like? they look light but are they free spinning with good bearings?

I tried to find out about their N-light MTB hubs a while back and couldn’t find anything, got a couple of folk on Weight Weenies saying they were fine. Imagine they’ll just be Chin Huar or similar with their stickers on, doubt you’ll go wrong.

I’d probably just get these. Or I’d buy the constituent parts myself and have a punt at DIY.

Chainline
    Free Member

I want a set of Carbon Enve AM wheels built up, but I will have the rims/spokes/hubs already…Any wheel builders with experience of carbon that would build them up?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d go to a reputable wheel builder rather than one who’s built carbon specifically, not intrinsically harder.

Janesy
    Free Member

Njee – Yep looking at those ActionSport.de wheels. look good and price is good too.

Sanny
    Free Member

Big Al at Wheelcraft for the win.

01360 312 709

He’ll build you anything you want though I would expect he may advise against Stans as there have been a few rims through the shop and the quality out of the box has been poorer than the likes of Mavic.

Oh and he does mail order.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – Yep looking at those ActionSport.de wheels. look good and price is good too.

And I notice Strada say their hubs are made by the ‘biggest Taiwanese manufacturer’ so they’re almost certainly the same. Search eBay for “6 pawl hub” to find unbranded ones, the constituent parts will still be cheaper than the Action Sports build, you just need someone to put them together, or like I say, DIY!

Trekster

Cheers Sanny, was trying to remember that one.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for Big Al, the guy is a legendary wheel builder for a reason. If you can get to the shop then do, but bring biscuits.

If you do visit, set aside a few hours to shoot the breeze and enjoy his wisdom. Also, don’t ask for your wheels in a hurry, he doesn’t do hurry. His coffee is truly superb though.

He’ll build you what you want, very well, and cheap. He won’t do you black spokes though, no matter how much you whinge.

Wheelcraft is a regular stop off for me when I’m out on the road bike, sometimes to buy, sometimes to chat, sometimes to ask advice. It’s a truly magnificent wee place.

G

Trekster

Not in a hurry
    Will do biscuits if I get the chance to drop in
    I have a dislike for black spokes
    Like the idea of cheap
    From what I have been reading and seen I dislike Crest/Flow
    Think we may have quite a bit in common 😆

Know anything about Flowtec suspension guys thro in Edin?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty good wheelbuilders around, it’s neither rocket science nor magic, I sometimes wonder if I should set up myself…seems a messy shop and ability to talk bike crap with punters works for Al…I’d never manage the latter though.

cruzer
    Free Member

I want a set of Carbon Enve AM wheels built up, but I will have the rims/spokes/hubs already…Any wheel builders with experience of carbon that would build them up?

Ive known daren at strada for quite a few years and hes built up every combination of rim, hub and spoke you can imagine. Has a fantastic attention to detail. Strada are definately worth a call, and a nice biunch of guys to talk to.

If you explain what you riding styles like, budget, and what your looking for they can spec a wheelset to meet your requirements. I have 5 sets build by them now and have yet to send any back for re truing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Places to get custom wheel builds?’ is closed to new replies.