Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Pippa Middleton writes on cycling in Telegraph
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

as above:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/pippa-middleton/10547206/Pippa-Middleton-how-I-finally-joined-the-cycling-brigade.html

Good to see the Torygraph using talented and seasoned journalists and not celebrity hangers-on to write for them eh? 😡

monkeychild
    Free Member

God, I find her annoying.

aP
    Free Member

It’s a fluff article, but surprisingly positive about cycling.

soma_rich
    Free Member

What a terrible article! Jonathan Edwards would have been the intelligent choice to write about the day he coached Pippa! She’s come across a complete air head.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Was it really cold? Or does Johnathon Edwards like dressing like a gimp?

PMK2060

The general public are more interested in Pippa Middleton than Jonathan Edwards therefore the article is more likely to get read. Plus you would 😆

DanW
    Free Member

Do you reckon she really writes it or is it a ghost writer? 😕 No tthe most riveting read either way.

Wiggle must be happy they get the mark of respect from almostroyolatycelebhangerons

What are triple lens sunglasses that commuters intimidate her with?

mooman
    Free Member

I def would.
    Shite article though. Got the impression she was just humouring the whole cycling thing for the article.
    Cycling brigade. Geeks. Lycra dungarees. Intimidated by them rudely acting as if they owned the roads.

Kinda confirms the whole them and us for me. But I still would ..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Seemed an ok article to me, what was so terrible about it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

He was also sporting a pair of neoprene shoe covers to protect his clip-in shoes.

I having been doing it wrong as i thought it was something to with weather when i rode my bull horned bike

Usual dig at the start and it was so lightweight it shall float away to be forgotten

soobalias
    Free Member

ah, so its clipless that makes you fast, not the skinny tyres

Basil

Given the articles media point placement, I am right behind Pippa.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Oh! Pippa! Shite.

Harry_the_Spider

She’s a life support system for her bum.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pretty inoffensive weekend filler, a few obvious layman errors but generally positive about cycling. What’s the fuss?

jameso

their hard-nosed attitude – some can be incredibly rude – and self-belief that they are the rightful rulers…

: )

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

+1 on that bit!!!!

takisawa2

I too, would position myself right behind Pippa on this, & follow her lead closely.
    I’d stay hard on her back end, but I would have to concentrate to avoid coming off unexpectedly.

Blackflag
    Free Member

The article is fine, and it another advocate of cycling 🙂

The more worrying aspect is that JE is wearing a Rapha top. Is there anyone in the celeb / media circus that doesn’t feel compelled to go down the Rapha route?

jekkyl

Was expecting better lycra pictures of bottom, am disappoint 🙁

wiggles
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    I too, would position myself right behind Pippa on this, & follow her lead closely.
    I’d stay hard on her back end, but I would have to concentrate to avoid coming off unexpectedly

FTFY

ibnchris

Where do I get myself a clip-in bike? They sound like fun…

cheez0
    Free Member

any pitchures?

just askin like..

wallop

Oh Harry, I just spat Cornish pasty all over my steering wheel.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

She has big hands 🙁

spacemonkey

Decent little article IMOv and not pompous or contrived. Offers a good bit of insight to any yet-to-be-converted cyclists who happen to have their interest piqued at this time of year.

richmars

Don’t see anything wrong with it. She cycles. She’s explaining to many non-cyclist what you need to do to got on a bike.
    You can argue about whether ‘celebrities’ should write for the Telegraph, but that’s something else.

martinhutch

Like it or loathe it, more people will read an article about a subject they don’t know if it has a name they do know associated with it.

It was a very positive piece, overall, and probably thanks to a telegraph sub, pretty readable.

ChrisE
    Free Member

So Pip like middle aged, grey haired deaf blokes.

……………..hello………..

C

Superficial
    Free Member

I reckon doing something to demystify enthusiastic cycling is probably a good thing. Not only for drivers but also people are less likely to think of us as a bunch of weirdos with incomprehensible rituals and unnecessary equipment.

bruneep
    tinribz
    Free Member

hs125
    Free Member

Not too bad an article, but too much advertising in it for my liking. I suppose it beats working in a regular job though.

nikk
    Free Member

GO ON, GIE US A KISS!

F OFF U PERVERT!

rickon
    Free Member

The major advantage of clip-in (or “clipless”, their proper and confusing name) bikes, according to Jonathan, is that because the shoe is attached to the pedal you can pull up as well as push down. This makes a huge difference to power and efficiency and goes some way to explaining the warp speed of many urban cyclists.

I’m sure I read an article on research dismissing this.

True story.

epicyclo

rickon – Member

True story.

Got a link by any chance?

I’ve had the resident STW arseholes enraged by suggesting this in the past.

pete68
    Free Member

Good to see that JE is helping to challenge the public perception that cyclists are weirdos though.

rickon
    Free Member

Got a link by any chance?

I’ve had the resident STW arseholes enraged by suggesting this in the past.

I’ll have a look, I was actually hoping someone else would find it for me.

The research looked at different atheletes who preferred the ‘scrape and pull’ and the ‘press’ technique. (I’ve made those up, but you get what I mean).

What they found (IIRC) was that it didn’t matter what technique you used, because you developed the muscles to work in the way you moved… power output was the same.

I’ll have a look – it’s not *my* opinion, just what I read in a sport science article.

Although I’m no slower on flats than being clipped in. Now that’s scientific proof for you :p

ollie51
    Free Member

The major advantage of clip-in (or “clipless”, their proper and confusing name) bikes, according to Jonathan, is that because the shoe is attached to the pedal you can pull up as well as push down. This makes a huge difference to power and efficiency and goes some way to explaining the warp speed of many urban cyclists.

True story.

There’s loads of studies, you don’t really pull up, it’s counter intuitive and contracting an already shortened muscle. Main advantage is that it keeps you foot in the optimal place for power production.

Edit: some people with particularly poor pedal strokes do ‘pull’ through the dead spots, often to compensate for not being able to activate their glutes at all.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Actually a pedalling power cycle analysis shows I do pull up on the pedals ❗

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Pippa Middleton writes on cycling in Telegraph’ is closed to new replies.