Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Pippa Middleton writes on cycling in Telegraph
  • Sam

Ever used powercranks? Even if you think you pull up you probably don’t

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Yep it was a full test, at pedals and cranks, data definitely showed I pulled up on pedals!

crosshair
    Free Member

I saw her and Kate cycling near their parents house on Thursday last week 🙂

They were wearing Barbours and full make up and were barely puffing despite them scaling a fairly steep hill. They were followed by security in a black Range Rover 🙂

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

do those tests cover sprinting, do you think?

specifically sprinting up hill, i’d be interested to know if i’m pulling up.. (feels like i am anyway)

i also think technical/slow speed mtb stuff probably includes pulling up

JoeG
    Free Member

She’s got her own website! 😯

http://pippasass.com/ :mrgreen:

lightman
    Free Member

Whether you pull up or not, will depend on your cadence.
    If you’re a fast spinner (100+ rpm), then its likely you dont pull up much.
    The Late Jason McIntyre did an interview and said that because his cadence was so high, he only concentrated on pushing down.
    But, if you’re at the other end, a big gear masher, its really hard to move the bike at any speed if you don’t pull up too because you have to counteract the forces of the other leg.

When going up a really really steep hill (on or off-road) and you’ve run out of gears, you have no choice but to pull up if you want to keep going.

Im a big gear masher so push and pull, and I did a test that showed I was more efficient when I was nearing the end of the test/knackered (I started at a higher cadence than was normal for me) because I was pedalling in circles instead of just pushing and pulling.

zerocool

After reading a lot of the above comments I can’t for the life of me understand why more women don’t take up riding and why most MTB events seem to be sausage fests. Or how us cyclists have a reputation for being rude, a**eholes on the road.

As someone above said, more people probably read that fairly positive article than the combined readership of ST, Dirt and MBUK because it was Pippa Middleton.

Tom KP

faustus

Wow, some people really still say ‘I/you would though wouldn’t you?’ in a non ironic way!? I hadn’t realised the world had regressed to a 1994 episode of men behaving badly…

Junkyard
    Free Member

more people probably read that fairly positive article than the combined readership of ST, Dirt and MBUK because it was Pippa Middleton

More people have read katies Prices Autobiography though – what is your point ? Are you claiming it is always insightful when someone popular speaks?

Fairly positive 😯 it was fluff at best and made as many disparaging remarks as it did positive

steve_b77
    Free Member

I thought it was an OK article, nothing too outlandish and perfect weekend paper fodder.

corroded
    Free Member

By far the worst thing about that article was Edwards’ attire. Why oh why can’t cyclists be depicted as normal people wearing everyday clothing. You don’t need ‘special’ outfits to ride bicycles. Just makes cycling look inaccessible to most people.

globalti
    Free Member

What would the Dutch say?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll have a look, I was actually hoping someone else would find it for me.

There’s at least one article in the journal of sports engineering (or sports engineering journal, or some other re-arangement).

In the study no one measured an upwards force on the pedal under normal conditions, the ‘best’ still didn’t even unweight their back leg. There was a larger difference between runing trainers (thick squichy soles designed to absorb impacts) and cycling shoes, arround 15% IIRC, than cycling shoes to SPD’s.

Standing up in a sprint is probably different but I don’t think they looked at that.

There was an experiment done with hand cranks to see if the riders went any faster whilst using more muscles, they didn’t as power was limited by their cardiovascular systems, so applying that to pulling up on the pedls, there’s no point doing more than unweighting the upcoming pedal, using energy to do that, as the pushing down is more efficient.

epicyclo

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    …There was an experiment done with hand cranks to see if the riders went any faster whilst using more muscles, they didn’t as power was limited by their cardiovascular systems, so applying that to pulling up on the pedls, there’s no point doing more than unweighting the upcoming pedal, using energy to do that, as the pushing down is more efficient.

Thanks.

Much as I thought.

I used to strap my feet in the pedals for the benefit of pulling up but realised it was something that I had to remember to do and it seemed of no benefit when I was tired after a few hours on the bike. Probably something a highly trained pro rider does, but most of us aren’t in that category.

Clover

Funny how Pippa Middleton looks a lot more human in cycling gear.

cookeaa

Its really just a net Zero “Article IMO…

Of course its fluff, Leery blokes who want to see Pippa Middlton in lycra will probably just feel a bit let down (More likely completely put off their stroke by Edwards, Gimp outfitted, Japery)…

“Anti-cyclists” Will read the Negative comments and have their beliefs reinforced, “Pro-cyclists” will Read the positives and choose to hear that message.

Cynics (probably most people reading it TBH) will recognise it for what it is – “Celeb’ Endorsed”, Ephemeral, filler/click-bait of no real consequence.

…More people have read katies Prices Autobiography…

A good summary of modern British media really: Largely talentless, self serving, morons, command an undue level influence over a large proportion of the population… SHOCKA!

You should see some of the tory-graphs other odd-couple Celeb-**** Articles:

N-Dubz try out fly fishing with Andy Mcnab

J K Rowling spends a weekend badger culling with ‘H’ from Steps

Pete Doherty and Jennifer Saunders attend a pottery class

Jennie Bond and Shane MacGowan try Hang gliding

All with Hilarious consequences, Apart from the second one where ‘H’ shot a homeless person by mistake…

What was the point I was making? Oh yeah, who give a monkeys if you pull up? FFS!

Now go ride your clip-in bicycles!

cinnamon_girl

Ghastly and odious leech she is.

cookeaa

Jennie Bond?

cinnamon_girl

Jennie Bond?

Who’s she?

cookeaa

Former BBC Royal Correspondent…
    Presented the Six O’Clock news for a bit…
    Journalist…
    Also did “Cash in the attic”

She’s only been on TV and Radio for the last 25 years or so, quite easy to miss I suppose…

cinnamon_girl

One doesn’t show any interest in such crap. 😐

Thanks for informing me though. 😉

jameso

Welcome to the forum Prince Phillip?

cookeaa

CG, You mean you didn’t watched BBC news at all from 1989-2005ish?

You couldn’t miss the woman FFS, I think she’s moved on to lightweight daytime toss, and reality crap now, she’s probably done “Strictly” or some other such cobblers, but I don’t read Closer, and I wander out to the Garage Muttering when it’s put on TV, so I wouldn’t know about that…

You do know Jill Dando is Dead too, right?

clubber
    Free Member

Jan Dil*o as it was said by the secretary of the company I was working at at the time… 😯

EDIT – wondering if that word should be counted as swearing/offensive… self censored just in case. You can probably work it out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

how do you know this ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have no resentment toward people taking advantage of what opportunity exist for them. You do it all the time. She got “lucky” when her sis married someone famous, that’s all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

She got “lucky” when her sis married someone famous, that’s all.

she can take some of the credit for keeping her ass in shape…

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Pippa Middleton writes on cycling in Telegraph’ is closed to new replies.