Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • pinnacle arkose 4 freehub problems
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

anyone got a 2017 arkose 4?
    mine is great except the freehub. product recall on this so.

1 new freehub – not fixed problem – returned after 1 minute
    1 new wheel – not fixed problem – returned after ~150km

it is now in the shop for “something different” but they can’t find anything of similar quality.
    So far they have tried to fob me off with a mavic cross ride wheel – 24 spokes is not really ideal for a cross / commuter / adventure bike that will be pannier laden.
    Then a SLX hub (cup and cone) to replace the nice cartridge bearing hub.

I’m now waiting for a call back……………….

Just interested to see if others have had the same issues as me

chriswilk
    Free Member

jameso???

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whats actually wrong with the freehub?

flyingmonkeycorps

The freehub on mine is knackered, but it’s a 2015 Arkose 2 and has done a good few thousand miles so I don’t feel like it owes me anything.

cp

Then a SLX hub (cup and cone) to replace the nice cartridge bearing hub.

I’d take an SLX cup and cone any day! Your existing hub is obviously not a particularly nice cartridge bearing hub.

jameso

Sorry for not spotting this earlier. Sounds like the issue -soft freehub pawls- has caused damage to the ratchet ring. We can replace both if thats the case, sorry if that wasn’t spotted or offered as an option.

The hub is good, a nice KT unit that’s certainly not the cheapest we could’ve specced, but a batch of duff pawls has caused recall+replace for a few brands. It only affects late 2016 and current 2017 Arkose 4s.

MIP if you want to discuss options Chris.

chriswilk
    Free Member

jameso – this is exactly the problem.

first one – clonking and slipping after a few 10’s of km.
    Freehub replaced – but shop did NOT test ride the bike.
    Slipping after 10 metres of riding.

Second return to the shop and I got a whole new wheel.
    This was good for about 200km and the problem re-occurred.
    I was told this was the upgraded wheel.

Third return to the shop, and i’m told there is another upgrade to the wheel. Should be getting bike back today.

My concern is that the fault is not with the pawls or springs. When they are engaged they will not move. in my engineering view, there must be poor tolerance between the axel and freehub body, allowing some movement and causing pawl disengagement.

Shame really, because the wheels is the main reason I went for the more expensive 4 rather than the 2 or 3 in the range. And the rest of the bike is spot on for what I need.

My real issue is with the incompetence of the workshop staff at this particular store…..

jameso

Second return to the shop and I got a whole new wheel.
    This was good for about 200km and the problem re-occurred.
    I was told this was the upgraded wheel.

I expect they may have thought the wheel was upgraded but it wasn’t – the issue with the hubs is the pawls, unless the ratchet ring has been damaged by any slippage.

chriswilk
    Free Member

interesting, so you confirm there has only been 1 upgrade??

I was clearly told that there were 2.
    first one (my first full new wheel) was not strong enough so they have issued a second upgrade.

Just called and been told that the wheel has arrived, but it will take them 2 days to fit it! bunch of shysters

jameso

RE 2 upgrades question, not sure as I don’t know any more than you’ve told me here sorry. I know all the wheels we have as spares of the spec matching the Arkose 4 ’17 have been fitted with new f/hubs, what I meant was perhaps the wheel sent out was from before that refit.

stugee
    Free Member

Jameso, I’ve sent you an email. I’m having issues with the freehub on a recently purchased arkose 4 (2016) and I’m looking to find out where to get replacement pawls.
    Thanks
    Stuart

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘pinnacle arkose 4 freehub problems’ is closed to new replies.