Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pike Stanchion worn.
  • devs
    Free Member

the right stanchion on my pikes has suddenly got worn and scratched just where it goes into the lowers. No oil is leaking but this may have gone a while ago given that they are 2.5 years old and have never been serviced. I’ve been told it doesn’t matter as they are not open bath and someone alse has said that it is terminal. Question:
    If I stop using them and get them serviced and seals etc replaced will it be worth it or will they just die anyway?
    Should I ignore it and run them till they die?

Four candles fine just now! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2.5 years old and have never been serviced

Well that’s the problem.

I’d do a DIY oil change service pronto if I were you. They’ll probably last a while if you do, but there’s little point spending major money unless you intend to replace the stanchions as well, and for that price you might as well buy some decent secondhand forks….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Both folk are right – its not open bath so you won’t loose all your damping oil but the wear will continue and accelerate untill there is a lot of slop in the fork

Change the oil and use until the wear / slop gets too much

grum
    Free Member

DIY service – it’s a lot easier than you might think.

I had this with my Pikes and used the ‘nail varnish’ fix – cleaned them out and changed the oil as well but didn’t bother with new seals. They are still fine basically. At some point I will get new seals I suppose.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Servicing is easy, a seal kit is £20-£30, new stanchions £260. I can give you a hand?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pike Stanchion worn.’ is closed to new replies.