Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pike spring help?!
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

What spring would people recommend for 95kg in riding gear?

I have been running a medium for a while and haven't found it too bad but if I slow the rebound down it can bottom out so I was thinking of going firmer. I can't find any guide online and don't know whether to go firm or x-firm.

Anyone help?

peteimpreza

The answers are on the TF Tuned site if you dig around.

peteimpreza

Found it

Like me you need an x-firm or an air fork.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I've had a good look over there and can find a rear shock spring calculator, but only this for pikes:

My Pike coil fork feels soft. What can I do?
    The standard spring fitted in these forks is a Medium, which is suitable for a rider weight of 65-75kg, all kitted up. If you’re over this, you’ll need a Firm or X-Firm spring. If you’re over 100kg, you’d be better to consider an air fork as the X-Firm won’t be suitable for extreme riding.

I could guess from this that I need an x firm, but am worried I'll end up with too harsh a ride!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Sod it, I'll go for an x firm.

Cheers.

peteimpreza

Well my set up is not harsh

fivespot
    Free Member

If you slow the rebound down and it bottoms out, you have TOO much rebound dialed. I am about 92-3kg kitted out, always run a std. spring in my (Pushed) Pikes,never bottom out. Try a bit more compression damping ! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn't go for an X-firm if I were you. RS spring weights are generally a bit OTT. I'm about your weight, maybe a bit more and I've had 3 coil RS forks and never used more then a firm. Indeed firm was utterly perfect in my Pikes……

craig1975
    Free Member

If your looking for an X-firm i have one for sale, £25 posted.. email is in my profile

fivespot
    Free Member

PeterPoddy….is that tapered spacer still doing the job on your Pikes ?

MarkN
    Free Member

I have not long had my medium swapped for a firm. With all the gear I come in just under 82kg, yeah I know fat b*gger 😆 If you are only just bottoming out with the medium spring then maybe just 1 step up will be enough. Have you seen this link.
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf
    It gives some guidance, failing that have a chat with TFtuned for some good advice.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I actually had a change of mind at point of ordering and went for a firm – so cheers craig, but not necessary.

fivespot – When TF tuned serviced my forks a couple of weeks back they recommended a stronger spring. I declined (because I could only just afford the service having been to the alps the week before – where I f**ked my forks up!). The engineer did warn me that if I started bottoming them out then putting more compression damping on would only screw the seals in the motion control (again). I noticed when they got returned that the sag seemed a little more than before, and when pumping through a section yesterday they bottomed right out – hence me thinking of a stronger spring. I did notice that the rebound was set to a much slower setting than I would normally have so I gave it a couple of turns and it seemed a little better.

Mark – thanks for the chart. That was exactly what I was looking for. I would agree with Peter from that chart that RS seem a little OTT.

I'll give the firm a blast for a bit and see how I get on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pike spring help?!’ is closed to new replies.