Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pike service problems (‘Gutted’ content)
  • RubberMallet
    Free Member

Hello again after getting plenty good advice a couple of days ago, I ordered th TFTuned lowers service kit (which arrived next day i.e today). So I followed the instructions and got the lowers off no problems with a little bit of mud/water/oil coming out as expected. Next step remove the foam o-rings and problems begin, both of them are partially wedged under the seals that house them, arghhhh. Maybe I dont need to remove them after all. Check instructuions/manual etc. Yes I do need to shift them and clean them.

Grunt pant panic

I have removed them but they are more erm… C shaped than O shaped, the good news is that I have managed to coax out the remainder from the seals. I then notice that the left upper is scratched and worn in rings starting about two inches from the bottom and in two inch intervals untill just below the exposed section….? The other upper is fine. What could have caused this and how can I make it better.

Will the nice TFT people sell me just the foam rings or do I need to spend £30 on a seal kit …sigh.. as I said ‘gutted’ and I tried so hard.

Oh the anodizing is already disappearing from them as well. I will do better!

STATO
    Free Member

is scratched and worn in rings starting about two inches from the bottom and in two inch intervals

Thats bushing wear, worst case you could need new uppers if its bad, or.. If they arnt too bad you probably still want new bushings and seals in the lowers to prevent it getting worse.

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Right so that would be £30 well spent then, cheers!

IA

Err no – new bushings is a send-it-off job, and will cost you £.

New uppers is a lot of cash too. Chances are if they’ve started to wear, they’ll get worse.

What’s caused it? Chances are you’ve not serviced them in a while? People seem to think this is just a fox issue, but I’ve seen more worn RS than Fox…

I’d call up TFT, sure they’ll give you good advice and be able to advise you on costs etc…

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Sorry just caught up with you. I have ridden them hard ish i supose for a year and nebver serviced them, doh! I will call TFT on Monday and see what they say. Might just have to reassemble them as best I can and ride them into the ground. No more Rockshox for me tho!

Cheers for advice, I am not spending wods on them I will replace em first!

Cheers again!

kiwijohn

No more Rock Shox? It’s not there fault you haven’t looked after them.

RubberMallet
    Free Member

That is very true, but each to there own and I only ment to suggest that a lower maintenance fork could be the way forward. I totally accept responsibility for not lookin after them and even failed to learn from my past mistakes with the Revs! And they are great forks.

Any hoo, for those who care, I just dismantled me old revs and butchered the foam rings to fit in the Pikes (sounds harsh but really it seems OK). They are back together and feel great so its a short bouncy test ride tomorrow to see what happens!

To be honest I think I will stick with Rock Shox, its just another pleasant element of bike fetteling to give them a small service every month or so.. I do fear these ones are on the way out tho….. Thanks for the help forum world.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The cause of this is a lack of clean lube oil in the lowers. A pity considering a lower lube change is a 10 minute job.

If you keep them well lubed they should last very well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pike service problems (‘Gutted’ content)’ is closed to new replies.