Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Pictures from Snowdon
  • forge197
    Free Member

Having walked up and ridden down Snowdon twice before and never seen the view due to the cloud and rain enroute to the top, Friday and Saturday provided an amazing view bottom to top.

Mountain was busy this weekend but great atmosphere both days, did Llanberis Path and back down the same on Friday. On Saturday we headed up Llanberis Path then Down Rangers hang a right and back down to Llanberis along what I think is called Telegraph, either way an amazing weekends riding. Stopping both days at the cafe at the base of the Llanberis for some banter.

More here http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s128/forge197/Snowdon/

Should have some video footage later.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

We're riding Coast to Coast of Wales in a few weeks time, north to south, Bangor to Tenby. We plan to be up at 5 in the morning on the first day to get/try to get over Snowdon before the 10am deadline. Hope we have good weather, looks awesome.

forge197
    Free Member

Have fun Steve.

DavidM
    Free Member

Been up there four times. Still never seen a view out from the top. I imagine riding the summit ride would be (even more) ace with the view stretching out infront of you.

forge197
    Free Member

It was stunning, we saw the miners path which we had never seen it was a like a new world at the top.

dandan
    Free Member

I was up there yesterday, on foot unfortunately but all the same what a beautiful mountain

forge197
    Free Member

yes absolutely stunning

forge197
    Free Member

Some video's of getting down the mountain, as mentioned we did the decents in sections hence it's split into short clips.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0BDD8D6081ADB8EA

judderman
    Free Member

stevethebarbarian

whats the '10am deadline'?

forge197
    Free Member

Between 1st May and 30th September no bikes on the mountain between 10am and 5pm

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm

Although voluntary I wouldn't flout it as that would probably result in a full time ban and that would be a shame.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is that volcanic ash/smog in the lake pic?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Looking at the video footage, you had the perfect day for it.

Why did you return down the up-route from Ll and not down Rangers – Telegraph both times?
    What bikes did you take as you suggest that you walked up twice before – was that the case this time too?
    Did you not crash out at Pete's Eats in Ll afterwards?

The views from the top are wonderful on a clear day, but as you say, the human traffic can really spoil a day on the mountain if you select the wrong routes (especially as a walker).

robdob
    Free Member

Hi! I'm going up Snowdon (walked before) in the summer, is the Railway path (from Llanberis) rideable all the way up?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Setting off from the railway ststion car park, there are a few sections part way up and some short sections near the underpass & just beyond, but out of the 1hr 50 (?) it takes to the summit, maybe 15-20 mins or so is walking.

forge197
    Free Member

Ti29er think our riding could be different well up hill at least as of the 2hr + climb 10 minutes was riding the rest was pushing and all pushing on the second day heading up 🙂

We did Llanberis up and Llanberis down one day and Li up Rangers down then Telegraph on the second.

I was on my Chumba XCL, previously I've taken a Commencal Flame which we pushed up Rhyd ddu.

We had post ride ramblings at the tea shop at the base of Llanberis both days, he sorted us out a few years back when a wrong turn landed us msny miles away from where we started around 20 miles by car!!

There was a strange haze on Saturday that might have been volcanic stuff

Ti29er
    Free Member

Are you saying you pushed / walked the whole uphill on day 2? Just how heavy is that bike of yours? 😉

MBR said they rode it all on the way up, though I don't see how you could ride the new steep man-made rock steps or the section just before the underpass.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ranger is such a good trail. nice pics

mk1fan
    Free Member

MBR say a lot of things.

We certainly don't fall into the category of 'mountain goats'. There are some sections that are rideable going up but there are some that aren't so we pushed those.

Was an excellent weekend. Stefan's cafe at the bottom of the Llanberis is brilliant. Fresh soup, great coffee and brilliant cakes. Nice beer now too! He's always been generous to us.

I'd like to run down the Llanberis in one go at some point as it is a nice, long run with some good techy bits – well bits you can make techy.

forge197
    Free Member

Ti29er yep pushed all the way up bike is probably around 34/35lbs with DH tyres on, glad you agree on the steep bit after the railway bridge/underpass would love to see someone ride that bit, never realised how steep it was until I walked up it on Friday as previously we had pushed up the other paths.

I am happy to push and conserve my cycle legs for the downhill, that said I'd struggle to do it in fit's and starts like MBR suggests.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Excellent! going up again on Monday albeit on foot. Hafod Eryri was closed last time we went. I've watched a docu about it being designed & built and read some since and really curious to have a look inside!

forge197
    Free Member

Kevevs – Hafod Eryi was shut at the weekend, halfway cafe was open on the Saturday but not Friday. The train is currently not running to the summit not sure if that has changed yet, but they were doing maintenance on the upper tracks and there is still some snow near the tracks too.

The first time we went up Hafod Eryi was being built, the second time we went up the Foyer area was open with the vending machine but the cafe element was shut.

blackhat
    Free Member

SteveTheBarbarian – are there any published/accepted routes for a Welsh C2c? Having done England and Scotland, I quite fancy the idea of going for the hatrick.

.duncan
    Free Member

those videos have inspired me, must attempt this in the summer.

Although is it a 140mm hardtail job or 100mm xc susser.

forge197
    Free Member

.duncan, either but personalyl with that choice I'd probably go for more travel up front and prepare to be battered up in some places.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I've done it on a 140mm hardtail. No probs but prepare for a beating.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ah, the biggest plate of food I've ever eaten was a 'Gutbuster' at Pete's Eats in Llanberis. I had room for more after, and I'm not a big lad! 😯

Like a pig at a trough, it was. Disgusting.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Pictures from Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.