Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Philosophy corner.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

A friend recently told me:

"Birth and death are the only absolutes. The rest is just filling in time".

Discuss. ❓

Smee
    Free Member

I would put war in there too.

iDave
    Free Member

and tax

nonk
    Free Member

and ****

IanMunro
    Free Member

Birth and death aren't absolutes.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

How so?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Life: in this place it includes inevitable suffering. So be sure you make time to have some fun.

Death: My GF says she doesn't want to buried in a cemetary – "too crowded" 😆

sweepy
    Free Member

The only absolute certainties in life are death, taxes and a nursing student

chewkw
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

A friend recently told me:

Discuss.

Tell your friend he is several thousand years late and has jumped to conclusion. They should be Birth, Aged, Sickness and Death. 😆

walla24
    Free Member

Surely with the occasional spattering of happiness, joy and love?

Enternal optimist here 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

How so?
    Because they are limitations in your perception of reality, rather than absolutes in space/time.
    Or if you want a more tangible form, if you are a fetus in a womb, is birth an absolute?

erbii
    Free Member

nursing student ..? explain please being one or doing one ?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Another absolute is that if you post a picture of your bike on here, people will criticise, well, everything about it, and the state of your paving / pointing / lawn.

andywarner
    Free Member

how would you define an absolute anyway? something we can know without any doubt? in which case death can't be an absolute cos we don't know what follows it. arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh!!!! headf+@k time!!!!

IHN

death, taxes and a nursing student

two out of three so far 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Nothing absolute when you still have a Cartesian classical view of the space time continuum where we are limited merely to epistemological interpretations of quantum theory. I prefer to go beyond into the implicate orders of reality where even there we may not catch a sight of the ultimate ground beyond all that is not 😀

djglover
    Free Member

I like egg nog

bruneep

IHN – Member

death, taxes and a nursing student

two out of three so far

are you dead? 😯

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

That's not philosophy. That's just someone enjoying the sound of his own voice.

ps44
    Free Member

Death ? I'm getting my brain transferred to a Na'vi. Can I hold out to 2145 ? 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

So nobody knows then?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A little background: the originator is a psychologist. Comments?

porterclough
    Free Member

Psychologists are highly trained in knowing about running experiments where you say "red" if you see the word "red" written in green and you are supposed to say the colour. And having theories about vision that patently don't work and were thrown on the scrap heap the moment an engineer and computer scientist looked at the issue. But they don't know a whole lot about philosophy.

John Lennon's "life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" is more interesting.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A little background: the originator is a psychologist. Comments?

Not really.

How about this quote : "My life, and by extension everyone else's is meaningless."

A little background………the originator is Bender in Futurama .

Any comments ?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

the originator is a psychologist. Comments?

What difference does his/her profession make?

And what sort of comment are you after? Are you interested in our thoughts upon the veracity of the statement, or what we think it says about the speaker?

I'm can't be bothered to tell you what I think life is for, but I'm happy to say I find it all far from pointless, unlike your friend by the sound of it.

Your friend's comment is just a cod-philosophical truism: we are born, we die, we do stuff in between. That's obvious.

It's what you do in between and how you do it that gives life meaning, and which can have outcomes with the potential to last beyond death. How does that square with your friend's pompous 'death is the only absolute' statement?

If your friend is unhappy with with the way his/her life is unfolding, he/she should do something about it, not attempt to make excuses like this, which is what it sounds like to me.

On the other hand, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd say after a beer or two in the wrong frame of mind. 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

lol @ Bender comment.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"What difference does his/her profession make? " interesting question.

"And what sort of comment are you after?" whatever you think pertinent.

"I'm can't be bothered to tell you what I think life is for" oh, OK then.

"It's what you do in between and how you do it that gives life meaning," oh, OK then.

"which can have outcomes with the potential to last beyond death. " really?

"How does that square with your friend's pompous 'death is the only absolute' statement?" What do you think?

"If your friend is unhappy with with the way his/her life is unfolding," I hadn't thought of that. Interesting, and food for thought. Thanks.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

interesting question. whatever you think pertinent. really? What do you think?

Who's on the couch here? I'm just an internet idiot, I don't have to validate my views. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"Who's on the couch here?" I don't know, I can't see your space where you are through the internet.

"I'm just an internet idiot, I don't have to validate my views" oh, OK then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"Who's on the couch here?"

mudshark
    Free Member

I ride therefore I am…better than you.

chewkw
    Free Member

porterclough – Member

John Lennon's "life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" is more interesting.

John Lennon is shite and dead. 😆

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Philosophy corner.’ is closed to new replies.