Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Petrol in a diesel.
  • scotroutes

Yes, that.

How much before smokey engine armageddon?

12l in a 45l tank…..

imnotverygood

Its the lack of lubrication that will damage the engine. Was it a her or a you?

imnotverygood

BTW about 5% petrol is generally considered safe.

Phil_H

Did you start it?
    My mother in law did the same a couple of years back with her skoda. She only realised when it conked out. Local garage sorted it out and it’s still running now.

jimjam
    Free Member

I used to think my vegetable oil with petrol. *Diesels are pretty versatile 😀

Edit: Old diesels.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Is it the Trafic?

sweepy
    Free Member

I’d drain that out if I could, old diesels might cope but not many are that old.

Caher

I think petrol in diesel is not quite the disaster that it is the other way around.

kormoran
    Free Member

Depending on the engine – less than 10% in the tank i’d fill up with diesel and run it through.

Sounds like you have more like 25%, in which case i’d try and siphon.

imnotverygood

I think petrol in diesel is not quite the disaster that it is the other way around

Nope. All that happens with diesel in petrol is that the engine won’t start (or the plugs might need cleaning). Petrol in diesel will do permanent damage.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a small pump for oil/diesel in the shed and you are quite near me, any use?

Junkyard
    Free Member

drain it then refill
    Includes the fuel lines

CountZero

I put £18-worth of diesel in a petrol Astra GTC! In mitigation, the filler flap had a label on saying diesel quite clearly.

oink1
    Free Member

Meh, brim with diesel & carry on 🙂

scotroutes

I brimmed it and drove it a couple of miles into work. Currently parked there awaiting my return later this evening.

It’s the Mrs Urban Cruiser 😳

Inbred456
    Free Member

According to honest john if you fill with diesel and keep tank brimmed the petrol stays at the top of the tank and very slowly mixes with the diesel over time so it doesn’t damage the engine. Don’t let the tank drop below 2/3rds.

scotroutes

Closure.

I called Fuel Fixers and had a guy turn up last night after work. He drained the tank, put in 10l of diesel, started up the car and left it ticking over to check it was OK. His analysis was that as I’d already had 1/3 tank of diesel before travelling the 2 miles to work then nothing else would be affected.

I got home ok.

£300.

I retrospect it would have been safer to leave the car on the forecourt but I had to get to work to take some cyclists back to Fort William and there was no other way.

sweepy- thanks for the offer. Not sure what I’d have done with the 45l of contaminated fuel though 🙂

russianbob
    Free Member

Check your insurance. This is quite often covered with no excess or effect on no claims.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ really ?

Glad the engine is ok OP, in 7 years I owned both a diesel and a petrol car I was terrified of making this mistake.

sammysquid
    Free Member

dad did this to our fiat. i put some two stroke oil in – to aid lubrication and no problems since:)
    car wasn’t worth hassle of draining and the like.

benp1

Much harder to put diesel in a petrol, the nozzle doesn’t fit. The diesel nozzle is bigger than the petrol one

convert

You would have thought there would be a fail safe they could build in – you shove the nozzle down the hole and it ‘sniffs’ the contents to see if it’s giving off petrol or diesel fumes before it starts to flow. Or use different coloured plastic liners on the pipe to the tank and if it senses the wrong colour it won’t start.

wwaswas

You would have thought there would be a fail safe they could build in – you shove the nozzle down the hole and it ‘sniffs’ the contents to see if it’s giving off petrol or diesel fumes before it starts to flow. Or use different coloured plastic liners on the pipe to the tank and if it senses the wrong colour it won’t start.

Leaving the OP out of this I tend to take the view if you can’t put the right fuel in a vehicle then you probably aren’t the right frame of mind to be guiding 2 tonnes of metal at 70mph.

sammysquid
    Free Member

even so you would think that one nozzle could be round and one could be oval…

Daffy

It’s the Mrs Urban Cruiser

It deserves to die anyway…I’d consider it euthanasia rather than murder/carslaughter.

orangespyderman

even so you would think that one nozzle could be round and one could be oval…

Or a big yellow sticker with DIESEL written on it above the filler or something?

Hang on a minute…

zanelad
    Free Member

Leaving the OP out of this I tend to take the view if you can’t put the right fuel in a vehicle then you probably aren’t the right frame of mind to be guiding 2 tonnes of metal at 70mph.

It’s not yet 10 o’clock and we’ve found sanctimonious knob of the day. Well done.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It’s not yet 10 o’clock and we’ve found sanctimonious knob of the day. Well done.

It’s not like there’s a shortage of them on this forum 😆
    Regarding petrol in a diesel,one of my mechanic mates told me that one of the issue’s is diesel lubes the seals on the fuel pump,whereas petrol doesn’t & the pump fails.

wwaswas

at least it wasn’t a baby robin, eh.

or a thread about voting intentions 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s not really a new discovery at STW though is it 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

snaps shut and stops you from filling the car. Called a misfuel device.

Fitted to thousands of cars as an OE thing these days.
    My car has one.

Still doesn’t stop some idiots physically hammering the wrong nozzle past the device to fill with the wrong fuel.

Much like those we get putting diesel in a petrol. By using good aim and spraying diesel down the side of their car (or physically hammering the wrong nozzle into the filler head.)

Doesn’t work so well in countries where they play fast and loose with what nozzle they actually put on the gun though. Or some of the low cost chains who also don’t really care.

Cougar

Ford already have this tech. The unleaded filler is too small to fit a diesel nozzle (like most petrol vehicles nowadays I’d have thought) and diesels have an O-ring which has to be forced open to release a locking flap which the petrol nozzle is too small to expand.

scotroutes

According to “the man” diesel in a petrol car is much more common than you’d think possible in a country where things are designed to protect against it.

He also reckoned that many hire companies are removing any Petrol/Diesel stickers from the filler area. I can’t see what advantage they gain by this but he’s seen it a lot.

scotroutes

Daffy – Member

It’s the Mrs Urban Cruiser

It deserves to die anyway…I’d consider it euthanasia rather than murder/carslaughter.[/quote]Why so? It’s a lovely week car. Ideal for our use and leagues above the 4×4 Panda we also looked at.

brassneck

Did 15L in a near empty 70L tank. Brimmed it mmediately, and kept it full for a few weeks, no harm done. Redex is just petrol AFAIK .. just not bought in 15L quantities 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Petrol in a diesel.’ is closed to new replies.