Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Personalising a frame – removing decals. Adding decals, headbadge to come…
  • Kahurangi

'lo folks

I'm the proud owner of a certain brand of frame. Unpainted 'satin' finish. Rides lovely but I reckon that the stickers looks gash.

I might keep the 'Made in Tennessee…' badge as it's unobtrusive and the 'Inbred' on the top tube. The inbred man, downtube decals and headtube decals are coming off.

Removing the inbred man was easy enough though time consuming – picking at the sticker on it's own wasn't very effective. There was still lots to remove with a microfibre cloth and meths. Rubbing meths over the area softened the sticker up a bit and came off easier.

Anyone had a better experience getting stickers off a similar finish?

I don't want to scour the frame with anything more abrasive in case it leave me with a patchy finish! I guess a good film and a night rubbing on the sofa are in order?

The search for some custom decals/headbadge will come later when I decide if I want downtube decals or a badge.

Militant_biker

You could use Nitro Mors 🙂 I've cleaned the decals off an old frame with that. It's potent stuff though.

druidh
    Free Member

Nail varnish remover (acetone) will melt the stickers and leave the frame untouched.

Kahurangi

Mmm the nail varnish remover seems to be quite melty on the sticker but effective 🙂 Creates a bit more mess than the meths but quicker.

Free Member

tar remover by autoglym/meguairs should fetch them off without much hassle, have used it plenty when removing badges from cars! (not that I am a weird badge removing obsessed weirdo, they were removed because it was in for a full exterior detail…)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Personalising a frame – removing decals. Adding decals, headbadge to come…’ is closed to new replies.