Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • perpetual motion
  • wors

if you created a machine that worked, what would you do with it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Wors, on this forum, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

wwaswas

Given that any perpetual motion machine woudl likely be a closed loop (ie no energy in or out) looking at it every morning and going ‘Oooh good, it’s still going’ would probably all you could do.

D0NK

retire the stw hamster

🙂

wwaswas

this could almost be as interesting;

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/physics_museum/pitchdrop.shtml

The pitch was warmed and poured into a glass funnel, with the bottom of the stem sealed. Three years were allowed for the pitch to consolidate, and in 1930 the sealed stem was cut. From that date the pitch has been allowed to flow out of the funnel and a record kept of the dates when drops fell.

1938(Dec) 1st drop fell
    1947(Feb) 2nd drop fell
    1954(Apr) 3rd drop fell
    1962(May) 4th drop fell
    1970(Aug) 5th drop fell
    1979(Apr) 6th drop fell
    1988(Jul) 7th drop fell
    2000(28 Nov) 8th drop fell

So 8 drops in 80 years. Gripping stuff.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Strap a piece of buttered toast to the top of a cat, butter side up. Drop said cat from a reasonable height.

Watch that bad boy spin!

chvck
    Free Member

Given that any perpetual motion machine woudl likely be a closed loop (ie no energy in or out) looking at it every morning and going ‘Oooh good, it’s still going’ would probably all you could do.

I never really considered that before!

This is pretty cool too:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7YB7eiOeQ&NR[/video]

TheFlyingOx

if you created a machine that worked, what would you do with it?

*dons tinfoil hat*

I’d use it to power my home and vehicles, but make sure no-one ever found out about it for fear of being bumped off by “big oil”. They don’t like the idea of anything that might eat into their nefarious gains from energy racketeering and environmental destruction.

richc
    Free Member

I would try and find out who had been feeding me drugs, as its impossible

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely there are more interesting impossible machines to debate?

*starts another thread*

molgrips
    Free Member

This is pretty cool too:

Yeah not for ten minutes though 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Yeah, must admit I didn’t watch all 10 minutes!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I would publish the details and let anybody, country or corporation make there own power plant without charge. Then i would no doubt be given a position at a distinguished University where I would mercilessly mock the stupidity of undergraduate students for the remainder of my days, smug in the knowledge that I had created the singularly most important machine in the history of mankind.

Unfortunately, it’ll never happen. But a fella can dream.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, must admit I didn’t watch all 10 minutes!

Fast forward to the end and it’s going a fair bit slower. As it obviously would 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

chuckles at DONK

almightydutch
    Free Member

Orffyreus – he’s the man…sadly let down by aincient engineering

Makes for interesting reading, i spent best part of two days looking through all kinds of machines and theories. There was even some crazy Aussie bloke who recently claimed to have done it….not sure what his name was though

molgrips
    Free Member

sadly let down by aincient engineering

Sadly let down by the laws of Physics more like.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The pitch was warmed and poured into a glass funnel, with the bottom of the stem sealed. Three years were allowed for the pitch to consolidate, and in 1930 the sealed stem was cut. From that date the pitch has been allowed to flow out of the funnel and a record kept of the dates when drops fel

Looks like another one is due soon!! Is there a live feed for this?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d love to see a time lapse sequence of this. A few minutes of dripping black fluid against a backdrop of changing decades…

meehaja
    Free Member

As an aside, on a trip to Amsterdam a few years ago, following an evening enjoying local produce and music I woke up the entire room in the hostel, by flicking on the lights shouting “YES! Perpetual-f**King-motion waste water system!” scribbling some plans out and then going back to bed.

In the morning I had a picture of a washing machine with a turbine attached to the water drain, which in turn powered” the machine. Genius.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Molgrips, yeah I agreee with the physics part but that bloke was way ahead of anyones thinking. I reckon he could have made a much more efficient machine with current technologies (but yeah you’re right it wouldnt go on forever)

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Crazy aussie bloke=Brian Collins / Searl effect

DenDennis
    Free Member

come on then boffins, explain why this one doesn’t work! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, yeah I agreee with the physics part but that bloke was way ahead of anyones thinking.

In what way?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

explain why this one doesn’t work!

‘cos it’s silly

not to mention the fact it would be in a state of equilibrium

Shibboleth
    Free Member

DenDennis – Member

come on then boffins, explain why this one doesn’t work!

Because the 2 items (magnet and blade) attract each other equally. The magnet isn’t in a fixed state, pulling the blade – which is what you would need to cause any rotation.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i met somebody who tried to convince me about tesla and two cylinders rotating separated by 1mm of oil that would generate more heat than the electricity used to spin the cylinders could and how this technology would heat our homes. no idea if their was any truth in these discoveries or it’s a big business cover up conspiracy

almightydutch
    Free Member

Sorry Molgrips, i didnt read it back to myself.

he was way ahead of anyone thinking at that time circa 1600’s

elliptic
    Free Member

i met somebody who tried to convince me about tesla … no idea if their was any truth in these discoveries

Tell him to come back when he’s disproved Noether’s theorem.

And then we’ll talk.

DenDennis
    Free Member

BY GOD I THINK I’VE FOUND IT

molgrips
    Free Member

he was way ahead of anyone thinking at that time circa 1600’s

Ahead of his time in what field though? Scamming people out of twenty grand? (I read the wiki page on him).

Doesn’t sound like he did much useful.

i met somebody who tried to convince me about tesla

Ah yes.. Tesla. A good scientist who went bonkers and filled notebooks with incomprehensible writings that some people like to think contained amazing secrets. They seem oblivious to the possibility that they might just be raving nonsense.

almightydutch
    Free Member

just read the Wiki, doesnt say he scammed anyone out of 20k. Although i;m sure he would have taken it if offered but the nutter decided to smash his wheel up. True science loon IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

just read the Wiki, doesnt say he scammed anyone out of 20k

He tried to tho.

Do you think he really created usable energy? Do you think his motivation was the betterment of mankind through technology?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My daughter has invented it – well she is it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My bladder seems to go into a state of perpetual motion after a night on the lash.

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvRzWYCZ2e0[/video] 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘perpetual motion’ is closed to new replies.