Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Peoples experiences of 20/24/26 for DJing/pump tracks etc.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

I have been a BMXer my whole life, then discovered MTBing a couple of years ago. This meant that over winter, my BMX hardly gets ridden, so for the rare rides over winter, im rusty and my BMX feels like a death trap, the same applies when i pull the BMX for the beginning of trails (DJing) season when it gets to spring.

To be fair though, the BMX has always been a little bit of a battle once the jumps get big enough. When im stressed/tense or just not on top form, i find things really, really hard, which kills any fun and makes me ride my bike less. Stuff i can ride without any issues when im in a good mood, becomes impossible when im not on it.

So looking for peoples experiences who have been in the same boat.

Friends who have made the passing over to big wheels do say it makes it far less of a battle and a lot more confidence inspiring.

So the options as i see it –

24″ Sunday model C
    26″ Modern quick geo
    A BMX which is more stable

kayak23

I’ve had all those sizes. I used to think that a 24″ would be the perfect inbetween bike for a good compromise but it wasn’t really and i no longer own one. To be honest now though, I’ll not take my 26″ anywhere near a pumptrack if I can help it.
    You get so much more direct pump out of a bmx and they are just better to chuck about.

If I go to a 4x track though, its mountain bike time again. Most 4x tracks I wouldn’t bother with the bmx as you don’t generally have the grip and perhaps more forgiveness on a mountain bike.

I usually find within ten minutes I’ve gotten used to the different bike anyway. It’s fun riding all different ones.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve had all three. As I came to mtb’ing pretty late (rode when I was a kid, but wasn’t any good) I wanted to learn the basics from the ground up.

Started with a 26″, then moved onto a 24″ and finally onto a 20″. All were fun, but the 20″ was the one I struggled with the most, as casing jumps would hammer my back and I would feel beaten up when riding it.

That being said it was by far and away the best for pumping and jumping, I could boost much higher when I got it right.

The 24 was fun, but not hugely different to a 26. A bit quicker and better for tight pump tracks.

I now have a 26 dj bike and am happy with it. What you lose in energy transfer you gain in comfort and margin for error.

26 is the most fun for me, as it lets me get away with more and feels comfortable straight away. With a 20, or 24, I always found it took me a little longer to get used to the different wheel size.

russjp
    Free Member

Ridden and raced all three. For me 20″ was best for DJ and pumping but got sketchy as I got older, 24″ S&M cruiser was also very good at dj, like a 20 but more stable/safer. 26 feels slow and cumbersome in comparison but safer

Rorschach
    Free Member

Went 20″-26″-24″-20″.Now I’m going to sell my bmx 😥 .I only ride it infrequently as all the trails are shot and the pump/bmx tracks are either bumpy as hell or just plain scary (crewe!!).I’ve lost all interest in riding park these days.At nearly 40 26″ is just a little less manic and has a bit more of a safety margin.I will miss warming up on the 6 pack before crits as everyone else is on rollers though.
    Anyone want a Standard 250trl?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Peoples experiences of 20/24/26 for DJing/pump tracks etc.’ is closed to new replies.