Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • People from that London…
  • crikey
    Free Member

I'm going tomorrow to a single day conference type thing, but I'm taking my own sandwiches so I don't eat any foreign food. Anyway, have to get from Euston to the Hilton Metropole Hotel which looks like a 15-20 minute walk, but I'll be with people less sprightly than me, so is it doable?

brakes
    Free Member

I'm taking my own sandwiches

what's in your sandwiches?

avalanche
    Free Member

Dont forget your vaccinations and your passport.

aP
    Free Member

Are they used to walking?
    If not might be better to take the tube as those are tough streets out there.

crikey
    Free Member

I'm thinking of bacon on Lancashire Oven Bottom Muffins, with a brown sauce dressing to eat on the way down; early start, see? Then for the journey home, probably some Lancashire cheese and ham with Worcestershire Tomato sauce.
    Got some Gatorade cheap at that Tesco to drink, although I may purchase some beer to liven up the conversation back, because I suspect I will be travelling with ladies of a certain age (ie my age…)

crikey
    Free Member

They are nurses, but not the young lithe things they once were.
    Think support stockings rather than stockings.

vinnyeh

Black cab mate. Else you'll never find yer way through the smog. There's a few busy road crossings as well iirc.

El-bent
    Free Member

but I'm taking my own sandwiches

Passport control will confiscate any organic products coming into the city state. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

What shoes though?

piha
    Free Member

Watch out for Pearly Kings and Queens, the cheeky cockney's will 'ave your sandwiches away in a flash gawd bless 'em

brakes
    Free Member

the walk from Euston to Edgeware Rd isn't the most pleasant – you're basically walking next to a 6 lane carriageway for a couple of miles
    hop in a cab, should be about £8, the bus will cost you £2 each

crikey
    Free Member

I'm going to take a small Hovis loaf and leave a trail of bread crumbs so I can find my way back to the train.
    I might have to follow a trail of stunned pigeons as they won't be used to proper bread.
    If anyone wants to say hallo I'll be the one in the flat cap and I've cleaned my clogs special, like.

crikey
    Free Member

6 lanes you say?
    Eeeeeh they'll never believe that back home!
    We shall see, I'm bringing my coal shovel for't dig up golden paving stones…

Bunnyhop

Those butties sound delicious.
    What will you do with the whippet?

crikey
    Free Member

The whippet will be stopping at home, the ferret is coming though; he's never been on a train.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Will the ferret cope with the massive rats and foxes as big as dogs?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The ferret will be down his trousers anyway, he could always go down Bond street and pass the ferret off for a mink and sell it for a few bob.

jamesca
    Free Member

[/i]Will the ferret cope with the massive rats and foxes as big as dogs?

that's no way to talk about the city workers

crikey
    Free Member

Lol.
    Anyway, do they have WiFi on virgin trains?
    I'll probably be in the guards van if I take onion to go with my cheesebutties.

steve_b77
    Free Member

WiFi? didn't know it existed out side of London 😆

BTW I only live down here during the week, I'm from oop norf

crikey
    Free Member

…and what will the weather be like? Can I leave my vest off?

jamesca
    Free Member

if you have a few tats why not strip to the waste and get a few cans of larger. perfect!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jamesca – Member
    if you have a few tats why not strip to the waste and get a few cans of larger. perfect!

It's not Newcastle, you know.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Don't forget your hanky for thee head if its hot!

crikey
    Free Member

On a related note, will there be anything moist in the chip shop? I need gravy or at the very least, mushy peas.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Keep the stab proof vest on though….

steve_b77
    Free Member

You should be able to get gravy I think, not sure but saying that fish and chips are shite down here.

Fried chicken on the other hand rocks

crikey
    Free Member

I'm bringing a pie in case the volcanic ash thing happens again.

kimbers

you can buy pies down here
    the local shops dont just sell to local people

NikNak7890
    Free Member

You can get pies alright, but not ones in cases!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fish and chips are shite down here.

Consider my gauntlet thrown, sir.

I give you my local chippy, Seafresh in Pimlico as a fine example of why you are very, very wrong.

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.hollandspies.co.uk/

Proper pies for proper people.

I'm taking a buttie box too to bring some exotic buffet food back for the kids..

Talkemada
    Free Member

The whippet will be stopping at home, the ferret is coming though; he's never been on a train.

😆

Will the ferret cope with the massive rats and foxes as big as dogs?

😆

In fact, much lollage!

Don't forget yer Factor 50 sun cream; we're much closer to the Equator you know.

And a pair of dark sunnies is a must… 8)

Ah; it'll be a nice little treat for youse, won't it? Hope you have a lovely time.

If you need a solicitor, just let me know.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And a pair of dark sunnies is a must…

Black Iridium is the lens du choix round here at the moment. Plenty of nice sights to see…..

Oh, and it's very good for protecting against the glare from the pavements. Paved with gold, every inch of them.

crikey
    Free Member

I won't be doing any soliciting thank you!

I was really hoping to come down the night before and take in a show, but the NHS wont pay for any frills, so it's your tax money I'm saving by taking my own sandwiches!

Farticus

As a fellow northerner trapped in that London each week (I get parole each Thursday to travel back to God's Own County), I have a few survival tips:
    1. Keep moving. That's why cyclists down here run the red lights – get mugged or stabbed otherwise, see.
    2. Leave your manners at home. If you're rude – with a grumpy scowl – you'll fit in just fine.
    3. Bring your own beer. What's here is over-priced and under-bodied for the Northern taste buds, and worst of all almost always has no head.
    4. Approach no one if you get lost. If you approach a stranger to ask for help you'll be given a filthy look and treated as a sure-fire sex pest.
    5. Keep your eyes open as there are some great sights on the streets now the sun is out. Ogling is positively encouraged I believe.

Not an infallible list, but it'll get you by to start with.

Talkemada
    Free Member

As a Londoner, I am qualified to give you some proper advice:

1. Don't listen to any miserable Northerner who's brought their own cloud of despair down with them.
    2. Bring your manners. They cost nothing, which will suit your Northern pockets.
    3. Don't bring any of that foul, warm, flat, insipid fetid muck you pretend is 'beer'; we invented beer, and make it properly down here. It's not radioactive like Northern beverages.
    4. Most folk will be only too pleased to help you out, and won't look at you incredulously, with disgust and horror, because you're not related to them. They will also be able to respond coherently and intelligibly, rather than in grunts and snarls.
    5. Cast your eyes to the ground, should you encounter any of our women. You are not worthy of their attention. They won't look at you anyway, with your pallid, malnourished complexion.

An infallible list, and it'll get you by to start with.

Farticus

Ah, southern man speaks with forked tongue. Clouds of despair congregate around Kings Cross, St. Pancras & Euston awaiting the unwary. Luckily, spirits can be lifted by keeping your peepers wide open.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Clouds of despair congregate around Kings Cross, St. Pancras & Euston awaiting the unwary.

It's all the Northerners getting off the trains, and getting heatstroke… 😀

In truth, a significant number of desperate souls in that area are actually from Oop North and Scotland. A mate worked in a drugs outreach centre round there, and many of their 'customer's were as described. Young people come down to escape life at home, hoping for a better life in the Capital, and discovering the grim reality of any large city. 🙁

Somers Town is a good film based in in Kings Cross.

Tiger6791

Hmmmm.

Talkemada – Member

As a Londoner, I am qualified to give you some proper advice:

1. Lies & falsehood
    2. Falsification & fabrication
    3. A whopper & a porky
    4. Invention & pure fiction
    5. Just plain deceit

An infallible list, and it'll get you by to start with.

I came to London on a course from sunny Yorkshire with it's lush hills and proper beer 10 years ago. I'm still here 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘People from that London…’ is closed to new replies.