Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway weekend trip.
  • domino

Its a good trip isn’t it? Did it in the middle of summer and was lucky to get better weather – got the train to Kirkby Stephen and had an overnight at The George and Dragon in Dent then rode home to Skipton from Dent. Will do it again in spring I expect.

sturider

Domino, it was a fantastic trip with the weather giving it a real adventure feel. The Hostel was good if not a little cold. We where the only ones staying so the heating was not on 🙁 Look forward to a warm trip next year.

martinhutch

You made the right call hitting the road at Garsdale. The climb up to Lady Anne’s Highway is a real slog and not obvious track, can’t imagine what it would be like in the dark and foul weather.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Ditto on the Garsdale choice. That isn’t an obvious route up. The BW over High Dolpinsky might also have been ‘interesting’!

Did this as a one way from Long Preston -> Kirby Stephen during the dry but cool summer. A great outing. Got the train back after some very civilised refreshment in the retro cafe at the Kirby Stephen station :))

Need to do the bit from the MTL to Long Preston and the northerly bits when opened.

Cheers
    Paul

martinhutch

I was looking at maps to see if there was an alternative to the climb past the Moorcock Inn to get you over to where the Highway itself meets the road a few miles to the East nearer to Hawes. There are some tracks marked going northeast from the top of the Coal Road, but not sure that’s viable.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I was looking at maps to see if there was an alternative to the climb past the Moorcock Inn to get you over to where the Highway itself meets the road a few miles to the East nearer to Hawes. There are some tracks marked going northeast from the top of the Coal Road, but not sure that’s viable.

Likewise!

I did do the climb up the Highway from near Hawes on another Dales BW monster outing. Definitely worth linking into a route.

Cheers
    Paul

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mention of Lady Anne’s Highway takes me back to my youth in the mid 90’s, we used to do it regularly and back to Hawes along the road. I think we usually pushed up that steep climb.

sturider

P1050730 by stuartrider25, on Flickr

P1050713 by stuartrider25, on Flickr

P1050694 by stuartrider25, on Flickr

P1050691 by stuartrider25, on Flickr

Some pics of the trip.

ChrisE
    Free Member

You should have called in as you passed, last farm before Feizor tea rooms,

C

sturider

ChrisE 🙂 could of dried my boots.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway weekend trip.’ is closed to new replies.