Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pedals, float and all that.
  • dustypumpkins

Dear STW,

I’m currently using Shimano’s M520s and have been for years but my right knee just doesn’t like being clipped in, seemingly no matter where the cleat is, to the point of I’ve been riding unclipped on road/easy sections (and even gone to flats for a bit!). So I’ve started looking at other pedals that offer more “knee friendly” float, like Time pedals.

Are they really more “knee friendly”?

They offer lateral float (no lateral adjustment of cleats) but you can move SPD cleats laterally (maybe even more than the ± 3 mm on Time Aliums?)
    Time pedals offer more angular float but the angle of the cleat can’t be adjusted like SPD cleats, so you’ve got more choice of positions with SPD cleats. Meaning that surely if any are more knee friendly, it’s SPD as the cleats have all the adjustment you could ever need.

Is it a case of if I can’t find a comfy cleat position on SPDs, will I ever feel comfy on any clipless pedal?

Having only ever had SPD will someone please tell me I’m completely wrong and other pedals will save my right knee. 😀

Cheers!

legend
    Free Member

Time pedals offer more angular float but the angle of the cleat can’t be adjusted like SPD cleats

Yes they can, or at least mine can be adjusted. Just 2 screws like SPD so you can do the same stuff

dustypumpkins

Ta, just what I wanted to hear. Might see about trying some other pedals then.

coatesy
    Free Member

Speedplay frogs are my favourite for dicky knees, lots of rotational float rather than side to side slop, plus grease ports for our british conditions.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

dustypumpkins – I posted a very similar thread yesterday, got overwhelmingly good reviews for Time ATAC pedals.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-look-quartz-time-atac-xs-clipless-pedal-users-on-here-reviews

dustypumpkins

I think it’s time to invest in new pedals (pun intended). 😀

sambob
    Free Member

Crankbrothers are really floaty (that a word?) I have bad knees, and they’ve been fantastic. Would reccomend Candy’s over Eggbeaters though, there’s nothing to aim at when clipping in wih eggbeaters 😆

druidh
    Free Member

What sambob said about CrankBrothers.

FOG

I too am experiencing significant knee problems after years of using 520s so have been thinking about a move. However I have got 2 bikes with 520s plus the winter road bike runs the same not to mention three pairs of shoes so it is going to be an expensive job if I don’t want a situation where I can only ride certain bikes in certain shoes. I certainly can’t be bothered to swap cleats regularly. So what would be the cheapest option? Some peoples cleats seem to cost as much as pedals which obviously come with cleats.

sefton
    Free Member

A physio/bike fitter recommended speed play (which I have on my road bike), but the reviews of the speedplay frog (mtb pedal) are terrible…too bad to ignore…check out all the reviews on google)

apparently they are great for clipping in and out easily & have lots of float. but they are rubbish if there’s any mud around. (this is only what I have read).

the next best thing are supposed to be time pedals which I have just bought and tried over the weekend. (they seem great with quite a bit of float & look nice and robust) very easy to clip into too.

dustypumpkins

Are there any disadvantages in terms of features with the £40 Time Aliums compared to more expensive models like the ATAC XS?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pedals, float and all that.’ is closed to new replies.