Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pedal "click" on down-stroke – chainring side
  • willard

Before I start taking bits off my bike and swapping them with my wife's, I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas about what's causing a "click" more felt than heard) on the power down-stroke on the chainring side.

There doesn't seem to be any play in the BB, nor in the pedal itself. Both BB and pedals are almost new (as is the bike) and decent quality (Deore 2010 B and DMR V8 pedals). I can't seem to find any sticky points on either the pedal or the BB either, so nothing obvious there either.

As it is, I'll be taking things off and swapping them with the wife's bik tonight, so any ideas before then would be welcome.

Cheers!

cynic-al
    Free Member

There is unlikely to be anything wrong with any component.

Re-install bb, pedals and chainring bolts, all with grease on threads, & any mating surface of bb, nice and tight.

TheFlyingOx

Have you looked at the cones in your rear hub? I had something similar and the cones in the rear had come loose. The stress put on the hub when pedalling was causing some clicking noises. It sounded like it was coming from pedals/cranks/bottom bracket.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Cynic-al or is your drive chain worn? Measure your chain?

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Loose chainring? Is it in all gears?
    I will say that I bought some DMR V8s recently, and they were particularly shite. Cups and cones were rusted from new I think… Not enough grease… They could be the cause too…

Admiralable
    Free Member

The cable for the front mech rubbing?

willard

Well, the bike is pretty much brand new… Only done a few weeks work getting me home and back to the office at lunchtime when my road bike was proorly.

I can't imagine that it's the chain, given the newness, and the "click" can be easily felt when pedalling, more so when more pressure is put on the pedal. However, there is no play that I can find in either the crank or the pedal itself, and it spins freely enough. Ditto chain rings… You put enough force down and you hear the noise, now with added rattly sounds (sort of). it's the same place all the time as well on the stroke.

I'll check the wheel cones tonight, but I can't remember seeing any play in them last time I looked at them.

Houns

2nd the front mech cable catching

willard

Will give that a look too, but would a mech cable make the right pedal feel like there is a distinctive "click" on the downstroke about 3/4 of the way down? And surely it would happen no matter how much force was on the downstroke, rather than just with load…

r6ymy
    Free Member

Second what cynic-al said.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Worth putting a little grease in and around the rear dropouts then do the QR up tight. The QR moves slightly when under load – had a couple of bikes suffer from that noise and fixed it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just tighten the RH Pedal. You rarely feel play when there's a creak.

willard

Tried the pedal last night. It was pretty tight on the crank arm, so I swapped out the DMRs for the Wellgos on my wife's bike. One test drive later… No noise.

Back to the DMRs and the right pedal does sound quite gritty when spun, certainly not as smooth as the left pedal. I'm going to go mad with grease on it tonight, then swap pedals again and see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Hedgehog
    Free Member

Loose rear spokes / damage to hole aroung the nipple ? a long shot but happened to me.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

@Willard, I'm in the process of a warranty claim on DMR V8s. I think there's a particularly shit batch of them doing the rounds (in a creaky fashion)

Squidlord
    Free Member

Had something very similar. Fixed it by removing pedal and lubong it. Pedal was wellgo v8 copy. Almost brand new

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I had a similar thing which still kept happening even after a new drivetrain went on. It turned out to be a worn powerlink – the one part I'd re-used!

tombell1989
    Free Member

Had the same problem the other day.
    BB area was clicking on the downstroke, especially when climbing and as you say, you can feel it through your feet.
    Was a Truvativ Noir GXP and only had 5-6 races and no training on it. If your problem is the same as mine was, tighten the BB cups as they come loose after a while and cause a small amount of play. Try that.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Had a similar issue that turned out to be my V8's got rid of them in the end as it was doing my head in as soon as I had gone back to SPD's problem solved.

verbal_kint
    Free Member

make sure its not the aglet on shoe lace, drove me crazy one year, removing stripping and lubing everything, but was just the end of the lace hitting the crank arm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pedal "click" on down-stroke – chainring side’ is closed to new replies.