Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Peaty's sealant too thick?
  • superfli
    Free Member

Anyone else using Peaty’s sealant? Almost out of Orange seal, so wife got me some for Xmas. I’ve put it into some new Conti Barons and neither tyre would stay up longer than a night. The problem appears to be that its too thick. Too thick to slosh around the wheel and seal any gaps in tape etc. I’ve tried adding latex to it, but didnt get much luck. retaped the rim a couple of times, once gorilla tape, and once proper tape. Fortunately I had enough orange seal for 1 tyre and chucked that in. Shook it about after pumping up and immediately it sealed the leak.
    Bit disappointed with this. No doubt it would seal a hole, but I’d need to put loads in for it to make its way to the hole. With the 60-90ml it just coates the inner of the tyre.

ashweee
    Free Member

I’m using peatys sealant and I was really suprised by how thick it was compared to the orange seal I had in there previously.

Fortunately my tyres went up perfectly and have kept their pressure, that could be due to my wheels though, I’m using Mavic crossmax sx’s so there’s no rim tape.

cookeaa

Maybe try diluting it?

superfli
    Free Member

Dilute with water or something else?

cookeaa

Why not? It doesn’t sound particularly effective as it is, and most sealants are mainly latex/water mixes with a few other additives…

It can’t really make it worse, maybe just try mixing 60ml of sealant with an extra 20ml water to start and see how that affects viscosity?

superfli
    Free Member

Will try if my front goes down. Seems ok after using the latex combo. Ta

stevenpleysier
    Free Member

Because Peaty’s as bit thicker, you’ll need some more time to fill small gaps when installing new tires. Go for a couple of rides, pump it up a couple of times and you’ll be fine.
    That’s a small price to pay for good puncture protection. I’ve been using it for quite a while now and I must say this is a minimam “downside” for such good, biodegradable protection.

markshires
    Free Member

My mates having the same problem with his, same tyres too. He bought some peatys just before Xmas and can’t get the tyres to stop up over night, he was using orange seal before with no problems. He was joking at the weekend that the tyres must have nearly half a litre in there now!

He’s also re-taped and been on more than a few rides for them to seal with no luck. I think it’s fair to say he won’t be buying it again!

skellnonch
    Free Member

Had the same problem with the uberbike stuff, added some water and its all good

slowboydickie

I found it pretty good on two bikes, a 40c cross tyre and a 29+ tyres. Both went up and stayed up. the 40c cross tyre needed riding to seal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Peaty's sealant too thick?’ is closed to new replies.