Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Peaks newbies – Ladybower routes?
  • colournoise

Small group of us heading up on Sunday for our first Peaks experience. All experienced riders with decent bikes, just never got round to riding up there yet (I’ve done Cy’s usual Cotic test loop but that’s about it).

Wanted to start with something obvious and have found this route – http://www.peakdistrictcycleways.co.uk/cycle-route.php?route=Lbwr1

Would appreciate some local knowledge – is this route OK (as in fun to ride with some technical bits)? Is there a better route in this area we shuold consider? Any cheeky bits we can link up to this route that would add some fun?

Thanks in advance.

russianbob
    Free Member

Going clockwise, if you hang a right on the ‘n’ of Crookside Barn you’ll do the Beast descent, very rocky, very fun, you can then hook back up with the loop at Hagg Farm. I’d also be tempted to extend North and do an out and back, at least to the top, on Cut Gate. Other than that, it’s a pretty good loop.

andeh

Yeah, that’s a pretty good introduction. Personally though, I’d turn right at Hope Cross and go down The Beast instead of Potato Alley, and ride along the road to the climb. It’s a much better descent.

^^ Beaten to it! Cut Gate is a good shout, very wet when wet though.

twang
    Free Member

Classic route clockwise,covers most of the good stuff tbh. The bit at back of the Ladybower Inn ain’t right though

MartynS

*cough*

Be warned pook has the peak booked out on Sunday

😉

colournoise

Thanks all. The Beast looks like a sure bet to add on but Cut Gate might be a bit soggy? Anything else?

Also, if we ride clockwise where’s the ‘best’ start/end point?

Cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP it is compulsory to take a photo from Winstone Lee Tor with your bike leaning against the NT sign. Please post it here 🙂

The linked route starts at the cafe/paid car park, if you stop before then on road on you can park for free in various spots. Only slight negative I can see with the route is the first climb is brutal (I suppose ok to get it out of the way) but you also get the Winstone Lee Tor “highlight” view done early. I suppose if you add half of Cut Gate that’s another high point later in the ride.

booktownman
    Free Member

Parts of Cut Gate were very wet & boggy last weekend but it’s such a great spot I didn’t care! Loads of folk out enjoying it. If you go over to Langsett, avoid the section that descends to or climbs from North America – proper bog fest at the moment.

Also, make sure your tyres are in good fettle, the sidewalls on my rear were absolutely shredded by the time I got back, don’t know how I made it off the hill!

Garry_Lager

Route is spot on modified for the beast, you can cross the road afterwards and take on a v sharp climb up Hagg farm which will rejoin you with the mapped route, or ride W up the A-road for an OK climb up Rowlee farm.

Only issue is the route’s a bit on the short side with the right half from descent of WLT to aston being easy road miles. But if you’re thinking of adding some Cut-Gate stuff that’s quite a substantial addition. Prob worth thinking about how long you want to ride for – that route looks like around 2 hrs ballpark – maybe a bit longer if in a group. Great introduction but if you’re looking for something more substantial then heading up to Cut Gate sounds right. Maybe after a pie-stop at Fairholmes.

edward2000
    Free Member

Exactly what twang says….. That bit if cheekiness is the best dh in the peaks IMO

thepodge
    Free Member

WLT & the bit behind the pub are in a bad state, I would avoid them

colournoise

Little bump for the Saturday morning crew before I get to DLing and marking up some OS maps.

BadlyWiredDog

WLT & the bit behind the pub are in a bad state, I would avoid them

Yep, the bit that route calls: ‘Best bit: The technical singletrack descent from Whinstone Lee Tor to the Reservoir.’ tends to degenerate into a morass in winter, badly cut up and not helped by people riding well off the original line through the rocks.

I’d maybe consider bypassing it by carrying on around the edge of the reservoir and extending the route elsewhere. There’s plenty more better surfaced stuff to go at.

The V-Publishing guidebook is good if you’re likely to ride in the area regularly btw.

steveh

That bit of cheek is ruined from over use when it’s ridden at wet times of year. It used to be singletrack ridden rarely at the right time, now it’s a huge scar and can be seen from miles. Please don’t ride at this time of year it just can’t take the bikes in the wetter months without huge impact.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Peaks newbies – Ladybower routes?’ is closed to new replies.