Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Peak snow report?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Heading up tomorrow, probably Ladybower / Hope
    How is the snow?
    I know 18 closed early, is it impassable or still rideable

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m about 250m up on the west side of Sheff and there’s enough here that I’d not be too interested in driving along Snake to get there.

I was out at Ladybower today and it started snowing at half 12 and it’s not stopped since. The snow was actually great for riding- thin, crisp, not too wet. It’s just the getting there that may put you off.

iain1775
    Free Member

will be heading from Chesterfield / Sheff direction so not over Snake etc, if we can get to Hathersage or Ladybower will be happpy

sambob
    Free Member

It’s very light, small flake snow, so it won’t be too bad for riding in, but it will be hiding lots of ice. Getting there may be an issue depending where you live.

mjb

About an inch on the ground at the moment here in the Hope valley so still rideable but it is still snowing at the moment. Your biggest problem will be getting here, i think the roads will be pretty bad first thing tomorrow with no buses/lorries to help clear it especially if it keeps snowing through the night.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

1k feet here and snowing like ****

cp

Just driven out to Hope valley and now back in Sheffield. There’s more snow in Sheff than in Hope… The side roads in Sheff are insane. My Subaru was slithering about on summer tyres, but was getting up and down stuff in low ratio, but just had one or two hairy moments whilst parking on the street. Another car at bottom couldn’t move at all, and one slithered straight down all locked. Nuts – not much depth to the snow, but really really slippy.

The main roads are mainly fine, but are starting to get covered, even the inner ring road.

For riding in, it’s probably fine – great in fact. And if you can move off your road onto main roads OK, you’ll prob get to Ladybower along the A57 out of Sheff,

I’ll be out in it tmw if my back is pain free again – looks awesome for riding in 🙂

crazy-legs

Turned kind of sleety here (Hayfield side) but there’s an couple of inches of snow higher up. Roads are really icy though… I’ll get out on the MTB tomorrow, probably over to Edale. Be my first MTB ride in months! Just been on the road or CX or track riding for ages so a MTB ride is long overdue.

lardhelliwell
    Free Member

About 40mm in Hope ,still snowing.

Garry_Lager

Had tomorrow morning earmarked for a Peaks ride but getting a bit CBA with it – drive out from S Manc as much as anything. There’s a route in the book called the Disley circuit that looks like it might be a nice wee route in the conditions, if I can get it together to leave the house.

tron
    Free Member

I’ve got Chesterfield between me and the peak district, but we’re at a decent height. It’s 25mph max ok the roads at the minute. Wouldn’t bother to be honest.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

5-6″ now in sk17

munrobiker
    Free Member

Still snowing a fair bit here, I’d not bother.

LS
    Free Member

5″ just outside Ashover at ~600ft and still falling heavily.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I had a fantastic ride from Ladybower this morning, taking in Winhill, Potato Alley & Lockerbrook, but there is alot of ice, so it’ll be hidden beneath a layer of snow by now.

It was snowing quite heavily in Hillsborough as I left at 3:45 to return to Manchester, I didn’t chance the Snake Pass route.

If I was you I’d not bother. Soz.

mjb

Still snowing, main road through Bamford is very white at the moment which means the A57 will be worse so as said above i wouldn’t bother. It’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow so it’ll probably be ok later on once the snow plough and a bit of traffic has been through. By then of course Sheffield will be gridlocked though! Time to get the skis out of the garage i think.

simonm
    Free Member

pretty snowy Jon.
    Bugger, daughters 3rd Birthday party tomorrow at a play center in Sheffield and not sure if anyone is going to make it…poor lass. will see what the morning brings, Its not until 1.

mjb

Bugger, that’s bad timing (on yours and Ms part of course 😉 ). Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow so i think the main roads will clear pretty quickly. You’ll have to go and fetch everyone with your winter tyres!

simonm
    Free Member

wouldn’t mind but they still charge us the £10 pp child based on the 18 that were coming yesterday ! ouch.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Enough snow here that I’m going to have to dig a route for the van now, but the snow has stopped.

simonbowns
    Free Member

We’re (18 bikes) in today, roads are clear/slushy – it actually feels almost warm!

thepodge
    Free Member

Hmmmm, if you can drive to 18 then I can probably drive to work.

crazy-legs

Just got back from a great ride round Hayfield but the snow is melting pretty rapidly. Conditions on the hills were perfect for riding though, a couple of inches or so. Enough to be fun and challenging, not so much that you just get stuck. 🙂 Roads are pretty clear, it’s really only the back lanes that have any snow now. I’m guessing that tomorrow will be VERY icy though.

BadlyWiredDog

I was on Jacob’s yesterday, mid-afternoon when it started snowing. Lethal, fresh snow on sheet ice on both sides where drainage has frozen. Okay on ice tyres, but quite special without. Everywhere else I rode was fine though and should have a bit of fresh snow on top too. Feels positively balmy at street level now.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Peak snow report?’ is closed to new replies.