Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Peak lines
  • sam-r
    Free Member

Specifically, the steep, stepped bridleway running SE towards Castleton from Hollins Cross. The only bit of Peak trail (excluding Wharncliff!) I've found, that I have wussed out of. Rode it on sunday, having been somewhat annoyed with myself on the previous occasion and after lowering the seat lower than I would normally dream of, a bit of revelation tbh: gravity droppers – I have seen the light!

Anyway, in the middle, steepness and rockiness converge with a drainage channel. Left line seems to roll well but then you've got the channel to stop you dead from rolling off steep bit – what's the line choice of locals?

Pook

Where exactly do you mean? Coming down off mam tor?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Specifically, the steep, stepped bridleway running SE towards Castleton

bit vauge there! where's it running from and how far from Castleton? May help people know where you're asking about.

sam-r
    Free Member

oops! edited now, but yes from the Hollins Cross intersection on the ridge running east off Mam Tor

edit #2: damn, you lot are fast typers!

Pook

d'you know what – I've never ridden that. My line therefore is….up Mam Tor 😉

sorry, that's useless to you.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

As you're stood looking at Castleton from Hollins Cross, with the stone 'trig point' behind you then it's the track going down to the left ??

I've never ridden that one either as it's usually busy with walkers. We always go left along the ridge line for about 50 yards then break-off to the right down a bridleway. Starts with fast steep grassy section then goes into a rocky gully before heading into Castleton.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I can't place the trail you mean either!

higgo
    Free Member

If you're on steps you're on the footpath, not the bridleway.

Without getting silly about cheekiness, that's about the only fp that I've found myself on genuinely accidentally in the Peak. I don't have any issue riding on footpaths but I really did think I was on the BW until I was too far down it to be @rsed to go back up.

Anyway, I've ridden both. Trails change all the time but the BW has a couple of sections at the bottom that need a bit of commitment. There's a bit of erosion/gulley in the field at the bottom and then some rocky, narrow, steppy stuff just through a gate which can be an issue if you've had to stop to get through the gate – you need some momentum on that bit. I've walked that bit once or twice simply because couldn't really get going.

sam-r
    Free Member

edit: thanks Higgo someone with linky skills. Anyway, your map shows it as a bridleway & a small post marks it as a bridleway. The steps that is. Andy's line is not marked at all. If you google map "hollins cross" you can clearly see the steps bridleway as a bright streak & less clearly a line traversing higher and longer through the greenery, which is Andy's trail. I've ridden this before in mistake for the BW. It's good and fast 🙂

sam-r
    Free Member

actually, I'm talking absolute bollocks. Apologies, Higgo you are right. It IS cheeky.

Anyway – what line? Academic, admittedly, now that I know it is a civil tort to ride it. 😉

higgo
    Free Member

actually, I'm talking absolute bollocks. Apologies, Higgo you are right. It IS cheeky.

Well after I've gone to all the trouble of producing this I'm going to bloody well post it anyway…

sam-r
    Free Member

sorry 😳

If anyone finds themselves mistakenly on the FP, it is really good. Let me know your line choices. Which won't be tried out. Honest.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

night ride 😉

sam-r
    Free Member

in the 2 times that I've mistakenly ridden down this path, I have never encountered another person. I had to go "BOO!" to get a sheep to move off a lovely natural berm. No red socks though. For the most part the trail is flagged so won't suffer erosion. So really, by riding it, I am in the right. Sort of 😕

ps. good to see you on sunday Andy, we should go for ride sometime soon. Though I may mistake some trails.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

You'll have to try riding with that bouldering mat on your back, best crash protection there is if you go over the bars 😉

Still got that rigid Kona? We're out most Sundays if you fancy tagging along. Nothing fast (uphill anyway) and usually about 20ish miles. Usually meet at Ladybower Inn or Hope

Bunnyhop

I know exactly where you mean. It really is easy to 'accidently' stray onto the fp. The bw is a few metres further up so a bit of a climb before dropping down to Castleton. I have however pushed my bike up the fp you mention. No fun at all imo.
    As higgo said, there is a challenging bit on the bw through a gate. I've always walked that bit and have never seen anyone ride it as it's quite a narrow and rocky track.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

As higgo said, there is a challenging bit on the bw through a gate. I've always walked that bit and have never seen anyone ride it as it's quite a narrow and rocky track.

I've seen several people ride it (not me sadly) and it is doable if you're comfortable with rolling big rocky steps. It does seem to change every time we ride down that bit though. Water damage is quite common in the gully.

higgo
    Free Member

I've ridden it, definitely the first time I went down it.
    But not the last couple of times I was there. Trails change – perhaps all the rocks were lined up nicely for me that day?

Brown
    Free Member

Now, I've, ahem, never ridden that footpath, but I would (not) suggest taking a line on the right in the trickiest sections (at least, they look tricky, I wouldn't know, because I've only ever, er, walked it).

I could be wrong though – I've only (not) done it at night when no-one's about so had a bit of tunnel vision going on and probably didn't look at lines too much. As a result of only (not) riding it at night, it's also not massively clear in my memory, so we could be talking abotu different sections.

Not a huge fan of footpaths in the busiest area of the Peak in the day!

The bit after the gate is actually easier than it used to be! Just stay off the front brake and you'll be fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Peak lines’ is closed to new replies.