Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Peak District
  • vrapan
    Free Member

I have a few days in manchester so I thought I'd drop by the Peak District and try the trails there a bit.

Given the lack of access to a car which town should we base ourselves that has access to train? Any suggestions for some accomodation where bikes can be stored overnight safely enough? And of course any routes / maps / ideas on trails on the easy to moderate side of the spectrum, think of blue to easy red kind of thing 🙂

I know I am asking a lot but I have faith! Thanks

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Edale/Hope/Marple/Glossop

crazy-legs

Get the map out and look for anywhere on the Manchester – Sheffield train line. That route is great, it can be used as an emergency bail out option or to get the train out/ride back. About 45 mins from Manc Piccadilly to Edale.

There's the "obvious" trails and routes, the ones that every magazine has done to death or there's loads of local options around Marple/New Mills not too far from Manchester. Buy the Dark Peak Guide Book (Vertebrate Graphics) from the STW shop or a bike shop, that lists loads of dcecent routes with rough timescales and full ride details.

vrapan
    Free Member

Thanks guys will have a look 🙂

pypdjl
    Free Member

Try http://www.lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk , not far from Strines train station, bike friendly and they can sort you out with routes as well!

highclimber
    Free Member

there are some fantastic trails from Hope. the train from Piccadilly is every two hrs and take about an hr to get there.

OrangeRetro
    Free Member

Have a search for the Peaks on here.

http://www.justgoride.co.uk

There's loads of route suggestions.

hora
    Free Member

Train from Picadilly to Edale takes 44mins- similar sort of time to drive.

From there you have some amazing trails- Cavedale, Beast, Jacobs Ladder, Chapel Gate etc etc.

highclimber
    Free Member

I did the beast 3 times last month. such a good decent! I heard Jacob's was nigh on impossible. never seen it tho.

Another place for some fast riding is around Mam Tor, just watch out for them pesky walkers *spit*

hora
    Free Member

highclimber, you rode UP the Beast? WOW! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Peak District’ is closed to new replies.