Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • PC memory question: Speed or size??
  • sslowpace
    Free Member

Currently we're about to install Win7 (64bit)and are using it as an excuse to upgrade the pc memory.
    Which would be better: 8GB of DDR2 1066 or 4GB of DDR3 1333

Only 2 slots for DDR3, so limited to 4GB.

Size or speed?

Cheers

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think final question might be more aimed at the ladies on this forum, but in response to the remarks about memory the answer is it depends !

More memory will obviously be of use if your opening lots of memory dependant program and trying to mulitask between them.

Fast memory will help improve the speed of individual task. Like if you want to use the computer for playing 3D games that dont require more than 4GB then the DDR3 1333 would be better.

GrahamS

Yep, depends. What you doing with the PC?

Are you likely to actually use 8GB. If not then faster 4GB would be better.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Definitely 4Gb of DDR3.

Your mobo supports both DDR2 and DDR3?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Also check the timings not just the bus frequency and try to keep them as tight as posible.

sslowpace
    Free Member

In all honesty, I'll not probably be going to use 8Gb, it was more about which would be better overall. The mobo supports both, but DDR3 is limited to 2 slots and a max of 2Gb each.

The pc is used for the usual surfing, watching movies and games.

Quite dissapointed there are no Harry Hill references.. 🙂

dan1980
    Free Member

Get the 8Gb
    Your 64bit system will be able to use it all without problems.

The speed difference between 1066 and 1333 is very small, and wont make much a difference in the real world.

See this article for a comparison. Toms hardware

BlingBling
    Free Member

How can you use all 8Gb when you only surf and watch movies? 😕

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I could see it would be better to get the 8GB in the long term as there might be programs that use that much memory in the future.

I normally find a slowish computer with lots of memory can run modern programs, abut slowly. Where as a slightly faster computer with little memory cant.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Would you put 160mm forks on your Spesh Epic?

GTFO!

dan1980
    Free Member

Why get more then 2Gb then? I can use Matlab running simulations that can take days to run, building and then diagonalizing huge matricies, on 2Gb.

Quickly looking at microdirect (normally pretty cheap)
    If 8Gb of DDR2 costs (4x2Gb) £140
    4Gb of DDR3 costs (2x2Gb) £80

Then cost wise it's a no brainer, and I'd go with the 4Gb.

Given the choice though , at the same price, I'd always go for memory over speed.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Are you really using that argument?

So you're saying you cant use more than 2Gb but you'd put 8Gb in? 😕

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about FSB speed – sure thats a limiting factore – memory will run at the lowest speed teh chipset/boarded is rated so you will find if the FBS is max 1066 then getting faster memory chips woun't make any difference – I would go for the max available i.e. 8Gb IMHO 🙂

BlingBling
    Free Member

Advanced memory controller on new motherboards means you are no longer strapped to the FSB frequency and can actually run faster than FSB.

Keep up Foxy 😉

dan1980
    Free Member

I never said you can't use 2Gb, what I was trying to say is that more than 2Gb is, for want of a better phrase, a luxury, and most systems will run adequately on 2Gb, regardless of what you do on them.

More memory will make running memory hungry applications a better experience, and will enable the running of more applications at once.

For the same memory size, extra speed will only be noticeable on synthetic benchmarks, and certain memory hungry applications that are "timeable" like winzip, 3d rendering tools etc. In real world internet and word usage, the extra speed wont be noticed.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@BlingBling – is that the case here though ? Otherwise 😳

BlingBling
    Free Member

dan, I fully understand its not just a matter of more speed = more performance, I also like to keep up to date on PC tech.

Howeveer running 8Gb over 4Gb will give you nothing when surfing, watching movies, and gaming as he says is what he uses it for.

Running fast DDR3 at tight timings will give you far more benifit than simply dropping huge amounts of RAM in the rig.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Foxy, surely if his mobo supports DDR3 then that is the case.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK gotcha 😳 – goes away to read up on AMC's 😳

foxyrider
    Free Member

HSINCHU, Taiwan — Rambus Inc. (Nasdaq:RMBS), one of the world's premier technology licensing companies specializing in high-speed memory architectures, today announced the introduction of its memory controller interface solution for industry-standard DDR3 DRAM. The fully integrated hard macro cell provides the physical layer (PHY) interface between the controller logic and DDR3 or DDR2 DRAM devices for data rates of up to 1600 MHz.

Is that the one?

and:

DDR3 Memory comes in two types; RDIMM and UDIMM

RDIMM or Registered – Maximum server capacity up to 144GB
    Larger capacities and include address parity protection & advanced memory protection.
    Less electrical load on the memory controller; allows systems to remain stable with more memory modules.
    Used for applications requiring scalability and stability.
    UDIMM or Unbuffered – Maximum server capacity up to 24GB.
    Lower power consumption, limited in capacity but lower in price.
    Uses SDRAM chips directly connected to memory controller without a buffer.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Blimey!!

Looks like it's going to be the DDR3!

Cheers everyone, much appreciated

Pete

BlingBling
    Free Member

I think it's actually on the Northbridge…..I'm looking.

dan1980
    Free Member

BlingBling – Member

dan, I fully understand its not just a matter of more speed = more performance, I also like to keep up to date on PC tech.

Howeveer running 8Gb over 4Gb will give you nothing when surfing, watching movies, and gaming as he says is what he uses it for.

Running fast DDR3 at tight timings will give you far more benifit than simply dropping huge amounts of RAM in the rig.

The difference between 1066 and 1333 memory speeds equates to approximately 2-3 frames per second increase on games.

Regardless of the actual facts about speed, judging by the price point of the two memory specs provided, it makes sense to get the faster memory.

If the OP had decided that he wanted 4Gb but didn't know the speed he wanted and was wondering between 1066 or 1333 then there'd be an argument to be had. as the 4Gb 1066 comes in at £20 cheaper. Then the question should be asked, is £10 a frame extra worth it?

BlingBling
    Free Member

dan, how many fps increase by going to 8Gb from 4Gb?

dan1980
    Free Member

Depends on the game, for something like halflife 2, there's no real difference, but for the newer, more memory intensive games life Crysis, at lower resolutions there's a bit of a difference on the minimum framerate (3-4fps)

BlingBling
    Free Member

dan your argument only works if you tell him to take option3 and buy 4Gb of slower DDR2 and save £40.

Saying drop 8Gb of useless RAM in a machine like that is utterly pointless.

Me? I'd drop 4Gb of the tightest DDR3 money could buy 😈

I could use the electricity money I'd be saving by not powering 4Gb of RAM that never gets used every time I boot the PC.

woody2000

Don't forget the latency, latency on DDR3 is still higher than DDR2 (or it was last time I looked). Latency being the number of processor cycles it takes for the memory to be ready again, roughly speaking. Lower latency=faster memory.

GrahamS

Why get more then 2Gb then? I can use Matlab running simulations that can take days to run, building and then diagonalizing huge matricies, on 2Gb.

Erm.. I think you may have answered your own question there. Perhaps if you had a 64-bit version of Matlab and 8Gb of memory then it wouldn't take "days to run"?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘PC memory question: Speed or size??’ is closed to new replies.