Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • PC help.
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

We have a windows vista pc and it is not working. The PC was running fine until we turned it off and unpluged the mains to allow the desk to be moved and the wall painted since then it has done the following. You can start the PC up but it gets as far as being logged on but as soon as you start trying to do anything it just seems to freeze up (ie. the busy icon starts and stays up). It has been left like this for at least 5 days with no change (ie. busy). I have tried running it in safe mode and removing as much extra software as i can but this hasn’t helped.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

cranberry
    Free Member

Can you get to the Event viewer and view the System Log when you boot in safe mode ? Are there any warnings or errors ?

The moving thing might be a coincidence, but I would open the case and disconnect/reconnect everything, and re-seat the mem ( remove and re-fit it) as a starting point.

Cougar

Does it work in Safe Mode, or is it the same?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

It seems to work in safe mode but with only limited programs running.
    Its not like there is anything that has been added to it recently either.

Cougar

It seems to work in safe mode but with only limited programs running.

Well, yes, that’s what Safe Mode does. (-: Does Event Viewer give you any clues?

Run a checkdisk? System Restore? Malware scan?

Cranberry’s reseating suggestion is an excellent one, my only reservation there is that Safe Mode shouldn’t really work either if it were a hardware issue. Worth a try though. Check for things like flying power leads to adapter cards too.

brassneck

Sounds like malware / virii to me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘PC help.’ is closed to new replies.