Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • pc gaming.how do you play keyboard/mouse?
  • racefaceec90

to cut a long question short,basically would like your advice on how best to set up the keyboard for playing.i have 3 games in particular that i really want to get into/play.the original deus ex goty edition,original thief goty edition and morrowind goty edition.i just cannot decide what keys would be best placed to use (use mouse in right hand).i know that it is personal preference,but would be interested in how you set up your keyboard for playing 🙂 thanks and apologies for long-windedness of my question 😉

z1ppy

I haven’t played in years but when I was a mad HL/CS player (aka addict) I used “ZXCV” set as the main set, so your thumb rests on the spacebar for ‘jump’, obviously the key around those (either side and the line above [and line above that, for more spurious options]) for the extra options you need.
    That was my setup anyways, and I used it in every game I played, so it became innate

A mouse with a roller button (the ‘norm’ nowaday but not ‘back in the day’) is also a godsend for selecting weapons and I eventually got a mouse with a couple of side buttons too, which can be useful.

Olly
    Free Member

I used to use WASD for directions, and then work outwards.

On a full keyboard, the original Hitman used the numpad, but i still prefer WASD
    could used Space as jump, as above, as would eb a bit rattly for my tastes.
    i would rather asign it to C, under the thumb, and then use the numbers for weapons, along with a scroll wheel for quickly changing.

Cougar

WASD seems to be the standard method. As a rule of thumb, I tend to stick with whatever default layout the game gives, as it’s usually fairly well thought out.

That said, my idea of keyboard gaming is 56780 ZX Spectrum cursor keys, so I’m probably not the best person to ask.

cranberry
    Free Member

Generally WASZ is used for movement as default in games with other err… key keys located around that cluster, and that seems to work well.

The problems that you get sometimes when moving functions around the keyboard are that you can end up removing the key mapping for another function, and if you go to play the game again in the future you have to remember how you set things up as the manual only shows the default key mapping.

IMHO it’s best just to suck it up and learn whatever mapping the game designers have chosen.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I use WASD too. I used to use number keys until changing to WASD when half life came out.

You have some of the best PC games made lined up to play there. Although personally I think anything in Mororwind was done better in Oblivion. It’s still a great game though. I still play Half Life, it’s possibly my favourite game, I’d reccomend it to you.

racefaceec90

catflees i have that also (thanks to my friend giving it to me/along with the pc that i am using 😀

samuri
    Free Member

WASD here for pretty much everything, Mouse with a roller middle button is useful too.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

WASD is standard nowadays. Space bar jump, R for reload, F for use/action button, C or ctrl for crouch, z for prone, shift for sprint, scroll wheel and numbers to select a weapon.

almightydutch
    Free Member

WASD

All day long. Been a long time since I used anythign else.

Gaming mouse now essential, extra buttons, on the fly sensitivity(with better accuracy), more pronounced indents for roller.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘pc gaming.how do you play keyboard/mouse?’ is closed to new replies.