Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Paypal help: EBay
  • Skipper
    Free Member

Hoping for some quick advice, please!

Basically, I placed a fairly high value item on eBay last night. This morning I find that it has sold to a bidder with no feedback, and that his has been the only bid. He had paid by paypal.

Having not sold much before my question is:

Is payment via paypal completely reliable? Is there a clearance period or similar for funds? Slightly wary of sending off the item to someone with no feedback but if he's paying via paypal do I need to worry?

Thanks in advance

tails
    Free Member

Until the money is in your account do not send anything. Paypal are just as dodgy as many ebayers.

eemy
    Free Member

You should be fine. Go into Paypal and withdraw the money to your bank account. It'll take 3-days to appear in your account, but you should be OK to send the item straight away.

bruneep

We all had to start somewhere on ebay.

What was it and value? Send to the registered PP address and send special delivery.

Email the buyer ask a few questions confirm delivery address etc.

Skipper
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. The item was an iPhone. It was listed for 24 hours and sold this morning at 4am.

bruneep

Take loads pictures of the phone, serial no etc. before you post.

Well known scam is to say phone didn't work when it arrive and send you back a different broken phone. Buyer could be genuine, but if you have any doubts walk away.

Jamie
    Free Member

Phones are always dodgy as they seem to be a target for scammers. Personally I would be tempted to walk away.

iain1775
    Free Member

take photos and record details of phone (serial etc)
    take a photo of phone turned on with todays newspaper clearly visable
    send recorded with insurance
    get proof of posting
    withdraw money form paypal straight away

in future you can set settings to block bidders with zero feedback

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought this, but when i checked my settings it is only bidders with -1 feedback?

Skipper
    Free Member

Now that the bidding has ended can I walk away and not honour the sale?

Daffy

Skipper – Member
    Now that the bidding has ended can I walk away and not honour the sale?

NO. The auction represents a contract between the buyer and the seller. it's legally binding. Withdraw the funds to your account, wait for it to clear and then post by special delivery or some other form of tracked postage.

Skipper
    Free Member

Thanks for the help all.

iain1775
    Free Member

I thought this, but when i checked my settings it is only bidders with -1 feedback?

Officially yes its -1 but you can write in item details that you will not accept bids from people with say less than 5 feedbacks, or less than 75% without first contacting you
    You can cancel any bids before auction end if you are not happy
    Ive done this before
    lesson is watch your listing progress more carefully and dont list things to end at 4am! (you prob would have got a better price for it had it ended erly evening or on a Sunday, when most people are online)

annabos17
    Free Member

Paypal is really save-even if something will happens there is insurance on PayPal than don't worry at all.

http://www.amash.co.uk/

Skipper
    Free Member

The listing was due to end this evening at 8pm. The buyer chose the buy it now option… at 4am!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

he listing was due to end this evening at 8pm. The buyer chose the buy it now option… at 4am!

Thought he'd treat himself to a new phone after losing his old one whilst out celebrating Englands win?

As long as you do everything by the book you should be fine. Check Paypals rules. If it's signed for to prove delivery and you've got details of the phone then IIRC they can't even clawback the money via credit card company.

Oh, and moving the money into your back account doesn't make it 'safe'. If Paypal decide they want it back then they'll want it back regardless where it is, though obviously it's easier for them if it's in Paypal. Ever paid via Paypal without finds in your account – comes straight out of your c/acc….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Paypal help: EBay’ is closed to new replies.