Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Pavement cycling.
  • Garry_Lager

That is simply wrong and I have no sympathy for you. If its that crucial then walk the bike

No sympathy? That’s a tin-eared sentiment given that the OP was attacked on his bike, and we’re all cyclists here.

Cycling on the pavement is poor (doubly poor on a brompton tbh), but the response was excessive. A barge off the bike by someone much bigger, followed by a foot through the back wheel? Way, way out of line and not a very nice thing to experience I reckon. Can in no way be equated to the ‘crime’ of cycling on the pavement such that you would have no sympathy, ie he deserved it.

Surprised you wrote that tbh TJ, are you bevvied?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surprised you wrote that tbh TJ, are you bevvied?

Had a couple – well spotted.

I can’t find the words to express it properly without sounding ” she was asking for it m’lud”
    ]
    If he wasn’t riding on the pavement then he wouldn’t have been in that situation. I get very frustrated with folk who ride on the pavement – there is no need. If I go on the pavement I push the bike

Edric64
    Free Member

Pedestrians have every right to walk on the pavement if you get barged off -tough you shouldn’t be there in the first place!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and after all, we’ve only hear Mr Woppit’s side of the story. Given what i know of Woppit and what I know of this complete stranger, i reckon it was Woppit’s fault and he got away light.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out exactly where Woppit was riding, as his description seems a little vague. I’m imagining it might have been along East Smithfield, where the pavements can be very busy during morning rush-hour and indeed throughout the day. Or by the side of the basin itself, where only parts are wide enough to cycle along, although I don’t think you’re sposed to. Either way, it’s a very busy area, full of commuters all trying to get to work.

We do only have Woppit’s account, but I don’t think he’s the type to front up to some big bloke who’s just barged him off his bike, somehow. 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, surprised he didn’t disappear into thin air once he realised he was in the wrong.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out exactly where Woppit was riding, as his description seems a little vague.

I thought it was very precise……”Pavement alongside the wall at the boundary of St Katherine’s Dock, Wapping”.

Woppit Was In Wapping.

user-removed
    Free Member

Did have a similar incident years ago in Aberdeen. First job out of school saw me working at a tailor’s shop half way down a 10 metre one way street.

In order to get to the shop, I usually coasted very slowly on one pedal, (both legs on one side of the crossbar) the five metres down the one way street on the pavement. One morning, an elderly, mustachioed gent was coming towards me and deliberately got in my way. I coasted over to the other side of the pavement and he once again put himself in my path.

He then started shouting about bikes on the pavement and kicked out. I bounced off the wall and back into him, knocking him over and landing on top of him, along with my bike.

Fortunately for me, he wasn’t badly hurt and his swearing and ranting at passers by caused them to point and laugh (his hat was stuck half way over his face). I did a lap of the block before going to work just in case though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, surprised he didn’t disappear into thin air go and make dinner/go to bed/get bored with me once he realised he was in the wrong struggling to communicate sense to the slightly dim.

I’m tempted to look out for the thug on following mornings and wind him up from a distance, but the other thing that would be tempting would be fate.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Any pavements outside of a 30 limit are fair game for riding, I doubt you’d ever get stopped as you’re keeping the carriageway clear. How many pedestrians do you ever see on the stretches of road in between towns and villages anyway?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

and wind him up from a distance

Are you sure that is wise? Have you much experience of doing things like that? It does sound safe. Then you won’t have to defend yourself in any way. Good luck.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ta. I think I’ll let it lie.

I think the forum is right, I shouldn’t be cycling along that bit of pavement anyway so I think I’ll stick to going down East Smithfield on the road.

Don’t want to risk another confrontation OR a hit on the bank balance for taxis and bike repairs (in at the LBS right now…). 8)

Still do a cheeky fade across the traffic to avoid the worst of the junction, though… 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think I’ll stick to going down East Smithfield on the road.

I hope you realise that you are giving out far too much information and simply encouraging the elfinman to lay in wait for you – so that he can pounce on you one morning and launch into a prolonged and sustained verbal ear-bashing attack, the likes of which you have never experienced, and which will undoubtedly cause you to lose the will to live.

Just warning you like………so look out amongst the snowy wintry scenery on your way to work, for a little elf who appears to have escaped from Santa’s grotto 💡

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m on a black Brompton, dressed in black, with a red and black Respro bandana, wrap-around Brikos and (currently) a black winter peaked hat, although this will change to an olive-coloured one if the weather improves slightly. Also carrying a blue and khaki coloured “North Face” backpack. I’m usually going along there at about 08:35 and then 17:55…..

Say hi. :mrgreen:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What you might be better off doing; come over Tower Bridge, but then stop just before it goes past the Tower, and walk down the stairs and under the bridge, then go under the Guoman hotel, follow St Katherine’s Way round the southern side of the basin, then turn north into Thomas More St. That way, you’ll avoid East Smithfield, and irate pedestrians. Won’t really take you any longer tbh.

chewkw
    Free Member

hhhmmmm … tricky situation you got there.

My red mist tells me to own him with a bomber Z1 for kicking and damaging the wheel.

But my angelic side told me you were taking your chances by riding on pavement full of ****ts anyway.

I am afraid not much of a suggestion unless the person caused heavy damage to your bike in that case turn the person into permanent veg.

😈

Kevevs
    Free Member

brraaap! brrrap! brrrap! that’s da sound of the stw police. I have cycled on a pavement/non-cycling area more than once. OMG I’m a terrible person, but, with the help of God, I’m trying to make amends. At least I’m honest with myself. Common sense will prevail next time eh Woppit?.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah but you’re a wally.

Pends though dunnit? I mean, if it’s a big wide pavement, there’s not too many people about and you’re riding sensibly, then no problem, but rush hour praps isn’t the best time to do it really.

Kevevs
    Free Member

so? there are worse things to be. I could be Hora!

^^ like I say, common sense. Just depends. I rode pavement all the way home from work tonight cos I forgot light, The roads are dodgy and the pavements were covered in nice crunchy snow, but well lit.. I knew there would be zero peds. so what!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is true, this is true.

UN CENT!

Kevevs
    Free Member

As an analogy – there are dcikhead kids on bmx’s razzing around outside asda’s causing a nuisance on a totally pedestrianised bit, no cycling. Security have a word, which makes little difference over time. so the kids just mess about. sometimes they get grief off customers. It’s normal. They ride about and have fun mostly, one or two have been hit by people/cars. Guess that’s the chance you take. On yer own head eh?, got no real sympathy woppit, but hey, on another day you could’ve been squashed by a drunk driver. It’s all relative.

and on another note – Llandudno promenade is for pedestrians only, but it is so wide that cyclists use it to escape the busy narrow road along the prom. I use it. I get grief everytime, not from ordinary peds, but from jobsworths enforcing some daft local law.

kaesae
    Free Member

I think in this weather you cycle where ever and how ever you can.
    Like everyone else, just getting to where you’re going is the only thing that matters.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve found that fading across the oncoming traffic lane and using the road is actually faster.

There you go.

Or rather, I do…

andrewh
    Free Member

I never step aside for anyone riding a bike on the pavement, and politely point out to them that as a ‘proper biker’ the last thing we need is people like them getting the rest of us a bad name. only had one adverse reaction so far, which I dealt with by running away.
    Will make exceptions for small children.
    If you ‘have’ to use the pavement, get off and walk!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I see the police riding on the pavement all the time here, and I’ve stopped next to police cars when I press the button for the green man to cross the road a busy points :D, never had a word said to me. I’ll generally ride on the road but if a pavement is clear and the road is overly busy pavement wins every time for me, up hill section is where i’ll usually ride on the pavement mind you, and always on the road on the downhill or flat. You just need to ride with care and be courteous to pedestrians imo. My experience tells me that’s how the law views it up here as well, in Glasgow btw.

Only time the police have stopped me on the bike was cycling back from the pub one time with no lights. They told me to get on the pavement.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hi

😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Hi, Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Pavement cycling.’ is closed to new replies.