Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Pavement cycling insanity
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Grown-up people riding on the pavement wind me up at the best of times, but what I just saw this lunchtime took the biscuit.

You may have noticed it’s snowed a bit lately. The roads round here are pretty clear but the pavements are covered in slush and slippery compacted snow. Quite a few pedestrians are choosing to walk in the road instead.

So I was surprised to see a clearly nervous middle aged lady cyclist wobbling along on the treacherous pavement at walking pace, when the road next to her was clear of snow and the traffic all driving at very sensible speeds for once.

I won’t be happy if my taxes have to pay for her hip replacement.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Folk riding through the footpath diversion at Shandwick place in Edinburgh annoy me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

you should hook up with the guy who filmed these…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp4IbLXI8Fs[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    organic355
    Free Member

I had to ride on the pavement this morning as my hub/freewheel went half way to work. luckily the last half was kind of downhill so i could freewheel. Didnt feel comfortable on the road with no “power”.

angryratio
    Free Member

Give these guys a call.

Helpline.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ll pay for it out of MY taxes for you then, because I don’t give a shit.

Happy now?
    🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Happy now?

I am! Cos that was funny 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

People are stupid. All of them. Yes even you OP. And me. All of them.

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder how she feels about her taxes going to patching up mountain bikers who break themselves doing reckless things.

landcruiser
    Free Member

“I wonder how she feels about her taxes going to patching up mountain bikers who break themselves doing reckless things.”

Nuf said really !

Solo
    Free Member

I’d be ashamed and embarrassed to cycle on the pavement.

I’d rather get off and walk it.

Perhaps I aint Core enough ?.

hugor
    Free Member

I have no problems cycling on the pavement with appropriate care for pedestrians.
    If the roads were better then I would use them but they’re shit and not worth risking my life for.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there is almost never any excuse for cycling on the pavements. either cycle on the road or walk on the pavements.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I have no problems cycling on the pavement with appropriate care for pedestrians.

If the roads were better then I would use them but they’re shit and not worth risking my life for.

+1

br
    Free Member

there is almost never any excuse for cycling on the pavements. either cycle on the road or walk on the pavements.

Stupid comment of the day?

You’ve probably never heard of the A40, there’s an excuse.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I do wonder what planet you live on. The last 500 yard of my ride home, the cycle path dodges on and off the road at least half a dozen times. It’s much more dangerous to try and follow the cycle path, jumping between road and pavement every few yards, than it is to simply stay on the 4mtr wide path.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t really have a problem with people riding on the pavements if they give priority to peds at all times (although I do think it’s a bit lame for adults to do it). The people who ring their bells or expect pedestrians to get out of their way can eff off though.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Had a guy the other day pointing at the cycle lane while I was smashing it along University Boulevard road in Nottingham.

Said path is covered in branches/debris/foreign students with their eyes closed and not really the best place to be doing 25mph plus right?

emac65
    Free Member

People who get so wound up over such trivial matters make me smile,does it really matter,I mean, REALLY….. 😕

sprocker
    Free Member

I ride on the pavement to avoid the tram lines for about 30 yards out of a 12 mile commute with the appropriate level of respect for pedestrains, cost me a £30 fine the other day and nearly got arrested for calling the policeman a fat useless …. when he just refused point blank to my listen to my explanation of why.

rickmeister

Portobello Prom, or the battle through Porty on the road, buses, cars bins… Prom any day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only been cycling all over the uk for 40 years and never cycle on pavements.

Elzorillo – just go on the road if the cycle lane is crap.

A40 – its a road – for vehicles, pavement – for pedestrians. those of you scared to ride on the road do some training FFS and gain some confidence.

Cycling on pavements winds up the public

rickmister – Porty prom is legal to cycle on despite the signs

hugor
    Free Member

I will cycle on quiet or wide enough roads.
    I’m not sure how the rest of Britain compares with Cardiff, but round here I don’t think the roads are wide enough for 2 lanes of traffic let alone cyclists too.
    The few places where they exist the bike lanes are used as extra parking spots for cars. The verges are usually very rough, full of litter and water grates which forces you out into the traffic and places your life in the hands of any random driver out there.
    Thats a risk I’m not prepared to take.
    I will use the road when I feel its safe but have no reservation in slowing down and using the pavement if it isnt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hugor – you need to get some training then to understand how to ride safely on the road and gain the confidence to do so.

Cyclecraft book is a good starting point

hugor
    Free Member

TJ since when have you been concerned about winding people up?

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I ride on trails, pavements, footpaths, roads, towpaths and bridalways.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

I really feel strongly about pavement cycling. there really is no excuse for doing it IMO.

I ride in Edinburgh – and old city with lots of narrow roads. i will not go on pavements.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

No excuse for riding on the pavement, its illegal anyway! Cyclist get a bad enough deal on the roads as it is to any inconsiderate idiot that rides on a pavement is endangering pedestrians and themselves. Nuff said.

manxambassador
    Free Member

I was in Japan and borrowed a bike and they encouraged you to ride on the pavements. Took a while getting used to dodging peds but they expected it so didnt seem to cause any issues.

slugwash
    Free Member

TJ – I cycle on this pavement on my ride into work and I’ve got an e-mail from the county council Highways Officer saying cyclists are allowed to (so nerrrrrr! 😉 )…

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I always ride on the pavement around Ainley Top roundabout. In my opinion you’d have to be a nutter to try using the actual roundabout, its hard enough trying to cross each single entry/exit.

Northwind

hugor – Member

This, 100%. On my old commute I used pavements every day, because the road layout was designed terribly, and because the pavements were open, clear, and empty. No reason not to other than “you’re not supposed to”, but plenty of reasons to.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So does cycling two abreast, taking primary road position, not paying “road tax”, filtering, stopping in the ASL and not moving off quickly enough etc etc.

I really don’t see the problem with sensible use of wide or quiet footpaths. Lots are converted to dual-use anyway.

miketually
    Free Member

And yet the Home Office disagree with you.

So does not wearing a helmet.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I am the public

sputnik
    Free Member

“ncfenwick – Member
    I ride on trails, pavements, footpaths, roads, towpaths and bridalways.”

I’ll second that ! 😈

nealglover
    Free Member

So does riding through red lights.

Suppose it’s up to the individual to choose which way they want to wind people up.

You made your choice.

I’ll make mine.

Edric64
    Free Member

If I see people riding on pavements I usually accidently walk in front of them and do the same to those riding the wrong way in one way streets .Often they crash 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Really mike – where do they say that? Have the repealed the relevant parts of the road traffic act?

Beans – why not walk round the pavement on that roundabout?

If the bit of road is unsafe you can walk on the pavement with your bike

I love this – STW at its finest – go thru a red light or not wear a helmet you are the devil incarnate. but riding on pavements is fine

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

TJ – Cos I believe that sometimes riding on the pavement is ok, for example the roundabout above where you hardly ever see a pedestrian or a stretch next to the dual carriageway along from us where i have never, ever seen someone on foot ( the council seem to be making it part of a cycle lane as I type).

And it would be a long walk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think it should be more about responsible behaviour for everyone and less about absolute laws and rules.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Pavement cycling insanity’ is closed to new replies.