Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Parking/Tube Help from M4
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Morning all, tfl website is shonky so to the masses that is STW I turn, I’m travelling from Cardiff into London tomorrow, I’m looking for the easiest tube station for parking/access from the M4 somewhere around M25 junction or even further down say Zone4 of underground, can anyone recommend a tube station with easy/cheap parking, so that I can hop a tube into London for the day, and yes I am having to drive as I need my car for an appointment tomorrow evening.
    Thanks in advance people.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno, I suspect a Piccadilly line from the Heathrow leg or something. Leave yourself plenty of time for the tube journey. That’s a long ride into town.

llama

heathrow and xpress train to paddington

direct cardiff to paddington would be quicker though

rootes1

seeing as you need a car..

better bet would be to ditch the car around Datchet, Wraysbury, Langley

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/wry/details.html

£3 to park at station, or ditch car in streets nr and walk to station

and get SWT into London… quicker that Pic Line

brassneck

Express is £16.50 each way. I only use that on the company dollar.

Tube is around an hour and a bit from Heathrow. Hellish journey. I can get from my house to Paddington quicker on the little trains (70 odd miles).

Uxbridge a possibility? Don’t suspect it’s any quicker but all day parking might be cheaper or possibly free on a side street. Tube station is on the high street.

Where’s your meeting?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Meetings near Olympia, if that’s any help, I have to take my car, but don’t fancy driving all the way into the city, what with congestion charge and inner city parking, so thought I’d drive part of it and tube the rest

aP
    Free Member

Hounslow East has a car park but you’ll need to get there early, same as Osterley, otherwise you could try Brentford or Chiswick and get SWT, or alternatively District Line from Chiswick Park or Turnham Green.
    Parking will be bloody unless you’re there well before 8am.
    Like brasneck says above – where do you need to get to as that’ll affect the suggestions of where to start from.

Kieran

I do this a couple of times a month

Park at Hounslow West and get the tube in. The car parks huge, Ive never had a problem any day of the week at any time, and costs about £4.00 to park all day

aP
    Free Member

Not thought of Hounslow West – yes, massive car park.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Cheers all Hounslow West it is, and looks like it’s only half hour on the tube, thanks people

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I did Heathrow to Paddington on monday, was bit less than an hour on the tube. Coming back used the normal train and cost £7.90 for a single and took half an hour

CountZero

When I go into London on the M4 I always go into Hammersmith and park in Kings Mall multistory. Parking from around 11.30am til 11.30/12.00 midnight is around £15, and the main Tube is a couple of minutes up the road, Hammersmith & City just over the other side of the road. Getting back out at night is pretty easy as well. Oh, and the chuffin’ bus lane is being erased as well.
    As an aside, I left the filling station along the road from my house in Chippenham one afternoon at 4.00pm, and collected a ticket at Kings Mall at exactly 5.30pm. Pretty good going I thought.

mefty
    Free Member

If you are parking in Hammersmith, you can walk to Olympia or get the bus, it is no distance at all. It is not quite in the congestion zone that starts just beyond olympia.

djglover
    Free Member

Lots of people park outside my house and do this, it’s really quite annoying sometimes 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t park in Hounslow, it leaves you with a horrible long tube journey I reckon.

I live in Cardiff, whenever I have to go to the smoke I go all the way down to the end of the M4 then carry on a little way towards Hammersmith. When you get there there’s a huuuuge roundabout thing which kind of terminates in a smaller roundabout that houses the main Hammersmith tube station and a car park. The advantage of this is that there’s minimal traffic but once you’re parked up you only have a short tube ride to get anywhere – especially Olympia.

Reading back, that’s similar to what Count Zero does 🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

molgrips just out of interest, how long does the drive take you roughly? I have to be at Olympia for 11.45. Was thinking of leaving Bridgend just before 9

molgrips
    Free Member

Well it always used to be 2 hours dead without traffic, but the 50mph bit slows you down somewhat.

You’ll have to leave before 9 from Bridgend. You might be okay but that’s cutting it very fine indeed. Traffic would probably be reasonable form that time around Newport but clear once you get past Bristol.

I’d leave at 8 if I were you. Too many risk factors in the journey 🙂

CountZero

Wot molgrips sed. When I go up to that there London Village for the day I usually leave Chippenham around 9.30ish, and generally get into Hammersmith around 11.30ish, about two hours on average. My hour and a half trip was exceptional, unusually clear run and sticking at eighty most of the way.

Hairychested
    Free Member

OP, factor 3hrs for the journey by car and… if your meeting is at Olympia you can park there. Why complicate things? Alternatively, leave it waaaay back at Osterley, hop onto the Picadilly Line and enjoy/suffer. BTW Some nice eateries near Osterley Park for not much money.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point, Olympia is really not far down the road from the end of the M4.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help and advice people, i ended up parking at Hounslow West, just off Junc3 of the M4, the journey by car took me just about 2.5hours from Junc36 of the M4, and then a further 25 minutes on the tube to Olympia, so all in not too bad a trip, however was slightly longer on the way back as I ended up in Shoreditch having dinner with some freinds at 11 last night, but that was cool, all in all a very productive day, and just to show it wasnt all fun and frolics and I did actually do some proper work, heres a picture of me and the ever increasingly lovely Alix Fox, Front Section Editor of Bizarre magazine, after our little meeting with regards to an advertising and promotional article on some of our products,

It is hard work sometimes…..

CountZero

Bizarre Magazine, hmmm? Get to check to see if she had any “interesting” body mods? 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Parking/Tube Help from M4’ is closed to new replies.