Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Paris – places to eat
  • MadBillMcMad

Hi all,

The Mrs & I are off to Paris for a few days and we would appreciate some food suggestions please.

CaptainFlash has already suggested the excellent looking le Clos Bourguignon, Rue de Caumartin

Looking for small romantic brasserie type places.
    Places near our hotel would be fab which is here

batfink
    Free Member

been here a few times – not cheap, but very good and tres atmospherique (little bit of french for you there)

Le Petit Zinc

nbt

It’s 15 years since I lived in Paris but we had a couple of excellent meals at La Beliere on Rue Daguerre. Reviews show it’s pretty much the same now – we had excellent food at reasonable prices with some nice background jazz music

Nice.

MadBillMcMad

looks scrumptious.

Jerome
    Free Member

I have been working in Paris a lot in the last few months, and generally stay just around the corner from your hotel.
    I normally eat here, and take my missus there when she comes out.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1641834-Reviews-Bistro_Saint_Ferdinand-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
    Food is pretty good, but I am sure not the very best you can get in Paris.
    Main thing is the price. The set menu includes drinks etc, and is a blooming bargain. You get a choice of half a dozen or so alternate starters/main/ deserts. Half a bottle of plonk each, and a champgane thing to start. I am pretty sure the menu is available all week.
    Oysters to start sir ??
    Then walk to the bar around the corner, with the pinball tables, and have a large leffe.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Louvre is a must see. Free on every first Sunday or something like that..

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Le Petit Prince

I ate in there last time I was in Paris. Food was top notch. It was everything you’d expect of a bijou backstreet brasserie in Paris. That was about eight years ago but it still seems to be getting good reviews.

Nice area to wander around, too although it’s a few metro stops from your hotel.

MadBillMcMad

StefMcDef,
    Thx for that but you have put my link in your URL & there appears to a few little princes.

fogliettaz
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

we went a few weeks ago and stumbled on this place (near our hotel), by chance:
    Big Fernand

we chatted to the waiter about it and he expressed surprise that we hadn’t planned to visit as apparently it’s very famous for the amazing burgers and we’d beaten the queue by chance, which then formed well out of the door while we sat enjoying meaty heaven.

obviously not a proper “dinner” venue but without a doubt worth a look if you’re in the area. stunning stuff. 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sorry Bill:

Deffo this one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On top of my already excellent suggestion above, here’s another for you.

At Waterloo, there’s a Burger King. At the Gare de Lyon, there’s Le train Bleu

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Le Petit Zinc – quirky/classy/pricey in equal measures!

bikebouy
    Free Member

McPoulet bagette avec Pomme Frites

wors

La mere Catherine

Nr the sacre coeur, lovely around there.

MadBillMcMad

Jerome,
    Bistro Saint Ferdinand was awesome, thank you. Fantastic value.

We also had a great meal at the Maison Rouge, 5 minutes from the Sacre Coeur but far enough to be away from the noisy masses.

Out hotel was also fab. Les Jardins De La Villa.

Thanks all.

atlaz
    Free Member

My three favourites:

1, A la biche au bois – 45,avenue Ledru-Rollin (not far from the Gare de Lyon). Good “standard” French food. Serve game in season (which this isn’t really) but even though the menu is full of stuff you’d see at a gastro-pub, it’s a LOT better and as good as I’ve had anywhere (and being French, I’ve had quite a lot of that sort of stuff)
    2, Les Bouqinistes – 53 Quai des Grands Augustins (left bank, Odeon or St Michel metro probably best). Modern French I suppose. An annex restaurant for Guy Savoy where he tries out new food, new chefs etc. Never been disappointed in a meal there and every single time I’ve either just turned up or phoned an hour before arriving and they’ve squeezed a two-person table in. I’d still book in advance tho 😛
    3, Le Comptoir du Relais – 9 Carrefour de l’Odéon (left bank, 2 mins walk from Odeon metro). Great “classic” French food. The chef had michelin stars and handed them back to open this place. There’s a lot on the menu which is what’s good from the market that day so it can be an education in interesting cuts of meat, offal etc but the menu has enough on it that as long as you eat meat, you’re sorted.

For anyone who doesn’t speak a lot of French but loves eating in France, I’d suggest buying these dictionaries of French food. I bought them for my other half as sometimes, half knowing words can be worse than not at all 🙂

Edit Bugger. Didn’t see original posting date. Oh well

Jerome
    Free Member

No worries sir, glad you like the place.
    It is nice and simple isn’t it.
    I am off to Paris tomorrow.
    Only for a day – euorstar at 5am..
    Food is Ok ish on eurostar on the standard premier,which if you book early enough is pretty reasonable.
    J.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Paris – places to eat’ is closed to new replies.