Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Parenting Tips Please!
  • trb
    Free Member

Little trb – hit his friend over the head with a saucepan – a proper one mind, not a toy plastic one.

freddyg
    Free Member

We have two steps and both seem to work.

The naught step and, the step above, the calm down step. I introduced it as a bit of a joke as teh youngest was having a hissy fit in reaction to her brother but wasn’t being naughty. Strangely, it worked. If either of them get wound up, quite often, they’ll take themselves off to the second-from-bottom step, for a bit of a calm down.

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

We have 22 month old twin boys and nothing works they are just mad:-)
    We try the naughty step/corner which works some times. However often one escapes from the corner and when you try put him back the other one is sitting in the naughty corner laughing!!

I find the best thing is consistency in terms of how we deal with naughty behaviour. The boys are going through a phase of biting/hittng and hair pulling at the minute so we just try and stop it before it gets out of hand. They know when they are being naughty but don’t alsways seem to realise why they are beign punished.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course there is always electric shock therapy…

yossarian
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have.

Good for you. Personally I think sticking up for your little brother is important.

philconsequence
    Free Member

audiobooks work as a punishment… imagine jeremy clarkson reading every single one of TJ/elfin’s posts on STW, thats enough to make any kid behave.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have 22 month old twin boys and nothing works they are just mad:-)

I really think that age is just too young to understand crime and punishment, tbh. Hence tantrums.

damo2576
    Free Member

You have two weapons in your armoury as a parent, Chocolate Buttons and The Naughty Step.

Use them well.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you do if you are out and about and the naughty step is miles away?

yossarian
    Free Member

People go out with their kids?

Travis

@molgrips Our friends have a naughty corner. You can always find a corner, but you can’t always find a step.

grievoustim
    Free Member

one thing I find to be useful when talking to a small child is to get down to their level – so you have the same eyeline – and make sure they are looking you in the eye when you speak to them. I make sure I have their full atention by saying “are you listening to me” and waiting until they say yes before I say what I have to say.

I’m not sure if its a conscious thing or not – but kids seem to find it very easy to ignore what an adult is saying to them (if they don’t like what it is you are saying).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Travis – I live in a lighthouse/windmill/igloo

damo2576
    Free Member

What do you do if you are out and about and the naughty step is miles away?

Naughty Stand.

joolsburger
    Free Member

What is wrong with you people?

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Naughty step, consistency and actually doing what you say you will[/u]

igm

Plenty of exercise and consistent bedtimes help a lot in the medium term.

Plus using his full name in a soft but steely tone.

molgrips
    Free Member

Naughty step, consistency and actually doing what you say you will

Yeah but young enough kids won’t make the link

yunki
    Free Member

Give them a taste of their own medicine
    Throwing yourself down at their feet and kicking and screaming at the top of your lungs is a method that I’ve seen work to great effect..

especially in a busy supermarket or high street

molgrips
    Free Member

Yunki that was on a TV advert.. 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Parenting Tips Please!’ is closed to new replies.