Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • parent and work issue, advice sought
  • ThePerfectKiss

We are soon expecting nipper #2 by c section, can't wait any longer 😉

However my team at work have moved recently to another location, double distance of current office, I now have to travel to office 2 for >50% of weekly time, although my usual place of work has not been changed

On top of this I currently take nipper #1 to nursery local to us 3 days a week, this is a stretch at the mo due to location of the nursery, and public transport is only option to get to office 2, meaning average commute for 100 mile roundtrip in region of 3.5hr (car + local train + fast train + tube)

Where do I stand when I make it known I can only travel to office 2 on the set days when nipper #1 is not in nursery (2 days), which means I can only be in office 2 for 40% of the week
    and post op my wife is not able to do nursery run

nickhart
    Free Member

good luck to you.
    if it's a decent company they may allow some flexibility in the hours you work, there was something in the news not long ago about it. if it's not so decent company then you'll be looking for a new nursery etc or job!
    our circumstances changed just after number two arrived (i lost my job and had to retrain) and it ended up being a right ball ache for 6 months or so but you get through it and it sorts itself out to a greater or lesser degree.
    can you go part time?
    can you get another job?
    can you work from home?
    just questions i'd ask myself in that situation
    like i say, good luck! oh and good luck with number two

rogerthecat
    Free Member

As NH says it will depend up[on your employer – there has been some recent legislation introduced IIRC that you may want to check out regarding flexible time and child care issues.

Would they let you work from home – can you work from home?

One of our team lost his wife a few weeks ago and he has young twins, we refurbed his cellar as a home office and he comes in for meetings which we schedule during the school day.

You can only explain your position to them and ask them to be supportive – if they don't/won't perhaps a move is a good option.

Good luck.

Drac

Check here for help and background before approaching your employer.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10029491

luke
    Free Member

Speak to your boss and see what they say, some are flixable some arn't.
    I used to work night shifts and on the shift I was the only member of staff in the building, the boss would let me take the lad to work to sleep in the travel cot in an emergency, I was also able to swap shifts to suit the family so came off nights and weekends, as well a 3 months off when my daughter was born, all paid, they were excellent.
    Take my last job, my wife was in an accident and I wasn't even able to go to hospital, then she was admitted to hospital with problems realted to the accident a couple of weeks later, she's still there now, my boss said I could use my holiday which I did for 2 weeks, then said I couldn't use anymore as it was there busy period and no holiday was allowed and that I had to go back, I offered to take it unpaid to which they refused. They didn't give 2 hoots that the wife was in hospital and I had to look after my 2 small kids, so I told them to shove there job.
    Some people are flexiable others not, try them and see.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘parent and work issue, advice sought’ is closed to new replies.