Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Paramo jacket / smock… which one??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Fed up of getting wet. Get wet walking the dog before work. Can get rained on at work. Get wet riding my bike. etc etc
    Ive been eyeing up a paramo velez adventure smock. Is this the most suitable for mtbing?? My only concern is that it may be too warm for this time of year. Or is it worth looking at another brand??

d45yth
    Free Member

Is this the most suitable for mtbing?? My only concern is that it may be too warm for this time of year. Or is it worth looking at another brand??

Yes, yes and yes!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Helpfully positive… feel free to suggest a lightweightish waterproof breathable hooded jacket with pockets

vorlich
    Free Member

Rab Vapour Rise is another alternative, but again a bit warm for this time of year. Other than that, you probably want a event/gore-tex shell for this time of year

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Paramo Fuera Smock. Not totally waterproof but showerproof. With biking kit you buy waterproof and get soaked in sweat or showerproof and get soaked by rain if it really hacks it down. Me and 3 others I know have the Fuera – at £50 its a bit of a bargain. Although it’s very thin and breathable it is surprisingly resistant to ripping when you have an off

sweepy
    Free Member

Im a big fan of paramo, but I wont wear it on the bike unless its proper gharstley weather. Brilliant for dog walking tho.

4ags4
    Free Member

If you fancy a smock – how about the Velez adventure light?
    Same basic design as the velez adventure but lighter (thinner/more fragile) outer fabric.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its does seem to be more heavy showers than really prolonged rain that keeps catching me out plus most of my rides are under 2hrs so not really out in the elements all day. I think the fuera would be a great investment 8)

d45yth
    Free Member

OP – Ask the same question on Bear Bones Bikepacking. You’ll get some good recommendations on there.

andyh2
    Free Member

Happy with my Paramo Quito jacket. ‘Pit’ zips are elbow to waist so plenty of scope for ventilation along with front zip. Material is same weight as the adventure light smock so light in Paramo terms, though still 600g for an XL. Still very breathable when it’s all zipped up.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Got both the Quito and the fuera ( jacket version, not the smock) Use the Quito during the winter. Very waterproof, comfortable to wear and with the zips under the arms easy to control your body temp. One thing I have found out is that marino base layers are not the best underneath it due to the way wool holds onto sweet more. A synthetic one wicks the sweat away far better The feura windproof, as said above, really is a great bit of kit. Wash it in TX direct and it’ll stand a good shower. It’s light, drys quickly and robust. It’s my go to jacket unless it’s absolutely lashing it down.

stevemorg2

have a Quito, Fuera and Torres. The Torres is winter only (for me) but the Quito is a really good all day wet weather biking jacket – it was great on this year’s Welsh Ride Thing – vents well and it feels comfortable with a short sleeve base layer underneath – you don’t get that clammy feeling on your bare arms that I get with a normal shell jacket. The fuera is great if you are only out for a few hours but not if it’s really throwing it down.
    Often find some good deals on the Paramo 2nds and Xtra store and I picked up a really nice Velez for my daughter for £50 on ebay

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Is the Velez adventure light good? I’ve been looking at it for ages and quite liek it but it’s al ot of spondoolicks!

Mounty_73

+1 Paramo Fuera Smock, I love mine!

chiefgrooveguru

Love my Paramo Velez for most outdoor activities but it’s too hot for MTBing use unless the weather is relentlessly foul – however I run hot on the bike and get away with a s/s base layer over a l/s base layer plus baggy shorts (sometimes 3/4s) right into the depths of winter (have a tiny Pocket Rocket jacket in the Camelbak for when it gets too wet/cold to eschew waterproofing).

I have a Fuera smock too but that’s been relegated by the Pocket Rocket as I’m happy to get wet unless I’m out for a long time in the wet and cold in which case full waterproofing matters more than breathability. It’s nice to have the Velez for wet all-day winter MTB rides (and walking and horse-riding).

The cut of Paramo gear still annoys me as a relatively slim, relatively broad-shouldered, long-armed person but the Velez’s cut is amongst their best (I think the Quito is better still but they didn’t make that back in 2004).

househusband

If you fancy a smock – how about the Velez adventure light?
    Same basic design as the velez adventure but lighter (thinner/more fragile) outer fabric.

I’ve got the Velez and was looking at the Velez Adventure Light the other day in a shop; the latter appears to be made from a ripstop type material so I’d suggest that it might actually be a better material than the plain Velez..?

Also, as others have said, the Velez is very hot – too hot for mountain biking – so I’d certainly suggest the Velez AL.

cloudnine
    Free Member
    loddrik
    Free Member

I have two fueras and they aren’t remotely water resistant. Wind proof yes. I’d go for a velez, in fact I will be doing in the autumn.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve a Quito, riding in that is like riding on the sun. Depths of winter only and even then it’s with just a base layer.

tonyd

I have a Velez (not the adventure one, it has a detachable hood) and love it. It’s way too warm for me at this time of year though and I’d only wear it on the bike in the depths of winter. I’d wear it every day if I didn’t sweat like a mofo.

loddrik
    Free Member

IF ANYONE WANTS TO SELL THEIR XL VELEZ PLEASE GET IN TOUCH!!!!!! 😉

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’d sell my xl Quito…

JasonDS

Love my Velez Adventure – just been out in torrential rain and dry as a bone, well top half anyway.

RicB

I’ve got a velez adventure light smock and my experience is mixed. 2 yrs old and I’ve been caught in four torrential downpours (think Lakes on a bad day) and it’s leaked badly twice.

With Paramo you have to be very strict about using Tech wash (or similar) and reproofing. I’ve used all the membrane fabrics and they all work ok without proofing regularly but Paramo is very different.

Having said that it does have a lifetime warranty and when I sent it back after my last soaking they reproofed it and posted it back to me for free, within 5 days, and covered my postage costs.

It’s too hot for biking for me. I prefer a Rab VR lite (not waterproof) or Embers merino top (warm even when wet) with Event shell if the heavens open.

The Velez is still the most comfortable, breatheable waterproof I’ve ever used though, I’m just careful with how I wash it.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d sell my xl Quito…

Loddrik@gmail.com

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have the Velez, the Velez Adventure Light, an Aspira long jacket, the Fuera smock too and some Cascada trousers-guess you could say that I am a Paramo convert-
    Yes and no, for walking yes but way too hot for biking I ended up on a Long Mynd ride in the adventure light soaked to the skin anyway as by the time the outer wetted out it couldnt breath fast enough to get rid of my sweat! And yes was clean and proofed before the ride.
    For biking I would say that you could get away with a Fuera but they too are warm for a non waterproof top. My favourite go to tops for riding are either my Montane featherlight Velo or Buffalo windshirt they both wet out quicker in full on rain but equally you will dry quicker and are not so big shakes if you crash majorly and rip them!!
    If you run warm dont buy the Paramo for riding is what I am trying to say but for all other past times ie walking the dog/hills they are bloody brilliant IME.

chiefgrooveguru

I knew there was something else I use my Velez for – skiing! Great with the Cascada trousers (though the absence of need for thermals way below zero gives an idea of their warmth). I’ve had the Velez leak twice – both times in driving rain, after a lack of washing, and both times mostly on the forearms (presumably from often wearing it over a T-shirt). I hose down my cheapo Altura waterproof when it’s really muddy (or wear it in the shower) which is much less hassle than Nikwax faffing – breathes like a plastic bag though…

sweepy
    Free Member

The other thing is even when it it wet through, its still pretty comfortable. On canoe trips I only really take it off to sleep.

mav12
    Free Member

Have a look on ebay paramo sell seconds on there
    I have a velez and love it but to hot for biking unless its really cold

cloudnine
    Free Member

Quite like the look of the RAB Vapourise-lite.. just wondered if anyone knows what the sizing is like??

RicB

VR lite sizing guide from the Cotswold site was spot on for me, although the jacket isn’t a tight fit like most cycling stuff, more of a general fit walking jacket.

It’s unbelievably breathable but also a little warm for summer. (light) shower proof but nothing more

cloudnine
    Free Member

So this..
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/rab-mens-vapour-rise-lite-alpine-jacket/fuseaction/products.detail/code/13110370/id_colour/107

Is only just showerproof?? I thought pertex was pretty good at keeping the rain out??

And annoyingly im probably in between sizes (38.5″ chest, 30″ waist)

chiefgrooveguru

Proofed Pertex plus polypropylene pile is incredibly good at keeping the rain out but on its own plain Pertex isn’t much cop.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Paramo jacket / smock… which one??’ is closed to new replies.