Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Panniers on an MTB?
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Lately i have been carrying a lot of stuff in my rucksack for commuting which is becoming heavy and am looking at putting it all in panniers on a rear rack. I have an MTB with no mounts for a rack so was wondering what options i have. My bike is a love/hate setup with an alfine and ideally will be using ortlieb/altura panniers.

is there such a thing as a rack for my scenario? i have had a quick look but cant find anything. there are some racks which fit onto a rear QR but will not work with my alfine setup.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Old man mountain, with some sort of bracket made instead of the QR attachment?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get seat clamps with the top mountings. Use p clips or tubus make various fittings for bikes with no mountings for the bottom mounts

robinbetts
    Free Member

Seatpost mounted rack…? Don't know how good they are, but was looking at them for my racer. Can't remember the brand, but looked like they worked best with their own panniers, and worked out quite pricy.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Think you're gonna have quite a nightmare mate.

My frame had no bosses so I went with the following combination for my quick release skewer after much searching:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19012
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B0064

You could probably drill out the holes on the adapter to fit your Alfine skewer. Or machine your own little pieces of steel.

Other choice and much simpler would ne a seat post mounted rack… I had a qr one, it spuna bout a lot and was rather bouncey. I see you get bolt on ones, more people using these nowadays but no experience. Weight does seem a bit high slung on these though.

Aidan
    Free Member

How about alternative ways of carrying?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39624

😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Replacement seatclamp as per TJ's suggestion, made by Post-Moderne,and P-clips for the seats stays(supplied with a lot of racks, available from LBS spares box)

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

sadly the OMM won't work (considered it on my alfine-d commuter) as it needs a QR, which the Alfine doesn't have

p-clips and the seatpost thing sound like the go

FLV
    Free Member

just use a seatpost mounted rack. I used one for off road touring and it was fine

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've used one of the Topeak seatpost racks and it was fine as long as it was done up tightly and the panniers weren't too heavily laden.

zaskar
    Free Member

Ideal if you mounts but you could use Tortec P clips on the frame or a rear carrier bolted to the seatpost.

I find I can breathe a bit better without a rucksack strapped to me.
    Panniers can rattle so make sure you get a good one.

Watch out for short stays as you want a specific mtb one that won't wack your ankles or disc brake specific mounts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Panniers on an MTB?’ is closed to new replies.