Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Pannier rack on a RoadRat
  • marmottefarcie
    Free Member

I'd like to fit a rear rack to a Cotic RoadRat which is nearing completion.
    Robustness and ease of fitting are more of a priority than light weight.
    Does anyone have an opinion/preference between a Blackburn EX1 and a Topeak Super Tourist? The Topeak would seem to be the easier to fit and forget according to the user reviews that I've read. The Blackburn appears to need more bending/hacksawing/general adjustment to get it to fit bikes with disc brakes.
    The RoadRat will be running 700c wheels and 160mm discs.
    Any thoughts or experience of these type of racks?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

funkynick

I've just stuck a Blackburn MTN-1 on the back of my RoadRat, which I know isn't the best as it was designed for 26" wheels, but it fits, so all's good. I originally bought another rack before I through about it properly, and that one hasn't a chance of fitting, and I'd rather not try and bend it as it uses tubes instead of solid rod as on the Blackburn.

Anyway, it still took a fair amount of bending on the Blackburn to get it to clear the disc caliper. If you've got the Tektro discs that Cotic sell with the complete bikes, then it's also an idea to try and use a smaller button head screw for clamping the brake cable into the caliper… this actually makes a lot of difference to how much bending you need to do!

Another option would be to space out the rack on the side with the disc brake, so that it clears the caliper.

Hobett
    Free Member

I have just put the Blackburn Ex-1 disc rack on my new Roadrat and it is solid as a rock. Keep in mind that it uses a super long QR so there is no point in buying a fancy pair of quick releases.

No bending needed only a gentle curve to the struts that attach to the seat stays.

The rack has a big spacer as part of its construction on each side to space around the calliper; in my case Avid BB5s. The skewer is long enough to cope with both spacing a disc and the chain tug/rear mech hanger.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Pannier rack on a RoadRat’ is closed to new replies.