Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pains in hips after road rides…?
  • Bez

Just wondering if anyone else gets this. Pretty sure I asked the quack last time I had it and like all obscure things the response was “mumble mumble mumble”.

No pain when riding, but when off the bike I get occasional weird pain. Imagine your hip area has a layer of mesh just under the skin and the mesh feels like it’s tearing. Sharp, quick pain, but a tearing sensation. Normally when bending down or stepping into the shower, also when using a rake.

The only time I had it before was on tour when I was riding 8 hours every day, but now it’s back even with shorter and less frequent rides (though on a road bike which has a lower position than the tourer had).

Familiar to anyone?

simondbarnes

Old age?

Bez

Speaking from experience there? 🙂

simondbarnes

Sadly yes. Whole body feels like that after riding these days 🙁

starletamy
    Free Member

possibly ur saddle not fitting correctly 😮

wynne
    Free Member

If it feels like it’s on the front of your hips then it’s possible it’s your hip flexors. Google them and you’ll find any number of stretches and strengthening exercises.

traildog
    Free Member

Hmm. I would get bio-mechanically checked out. I had a few strange knee/hip problems but it always seemed ok on the bike. However, recently my knee has suddenly gone ‘pop’ and I’ve been off the bike for 2 months. Been a nightmare, but after treatment and sorting out position on the bike, I’m hopefully getting back.

Make sure you are well stretched and massage those IT bands regularly.

Anyway, point is don’t ignore little niggles because they can develop into big problems when you up the mileage

stratobiker
    Free Member

wynne – Member
    If it feels like it’s on the front of your hips then it’s possible it’s your hip flexors. Google them and you’ll find any number of stretches and strengthening exercises.

Seconded….

Bez

It’s on the outside of the hip (ie side, not front). Doesn’t feel at all like muscle or tendon. More like a trapped nerve sensation, but in a mesh.

It is the same saddle in both cases, but I’ve used the same type for nearly 20 years now.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i was going to mention hip flexors.

do you stretch out after riding?

I find that road riding (i think it is the seated position) tightens my hip flexors to the point where they are painful. in fact i am still trying to stretch out the ride from the bank holiday.

Bez

Hmm. Location wise, these look to be the nearest muscles from a quick glance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_fasciae_latae

Need to crack on now so will take a closer look later. Cheers all.

brooess
    Free Member

Saddle height? Maybe over-extending?
    +1 for stretching and conditioning exercises.
    Would recommend a proper bike-fitting assessment too and/or visit to a physiotherapist who understands cycling…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do you have any pain around your knees?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pains in hips after road rides…?’ is closed to new replies.