Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • pads not centred on rotors
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Just changed my first set of pads since fitting Superstar “vibe” rotors. I noticed that the top 2mm of so of pad have been overhanging the outer edge of the rotor. If it was the other way round I guess I could shim the IS adapter further out, but it’s the opposite problem. there’s nothing I can take out to get the caliper further in towards the axle with losing bits of the tri-align system. anyone dealt with this successfully?

(2006 vintage avid juicy 5s on same age revelations by the way)

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you have a 183 adapter and a 180 rotor?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Is it really a problem…?

I guess the only issue could be that the unused bits of the pads meet over the rotor when the rest of the pad is worn down, thus leading to no brakes.

glenh
    Free Member

What junkyard said ^

If you are using a post mount adaptor you could file it down a bit, but you’ll have to be careful to keep the surface flat/straight.

Northwind

I’ve got the same with the rear brake in the Mmmbop, all Formula parts so either the frame’s on the piss or there’s something wrong with Formula’s setup. The caliper runs too high so you can’t fix it with spacers, if it annoys me enough I’ll machine down an adaptor by a couple of mm I guess.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My SS does not have the correct number of washers in and works fine try that before the angle grinder 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Just checking, is the adapter the right way round?

(probably doesnt fit the wrong way round though).

Would get the adapter properly machined down – don’t do it by hand!

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I’ve had similar problems with my Codes.

Just loose parts of the Tri-align, it doesn’t make anywhere near as much of a difference as you’d think. Use them as shims until the pads sit right.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

cheers for replies.

the setup (apart from new rotors) is standard, as supplied pre-assembled with the brakes. It lined up OK with the standard rotors.

I wonder if Avid call it a 183 / 185 and I have bought a 180mm rotor?

I’ll have a go at losing one of the tri-align washers and see if that helps.

Northwind

Oh yeah, i’ll stick it in the mill, no chance I’d get it right by hand :mrgreen:

geoffj

Have you asked Superstar their opinion? 😈

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Geoff – can’t say I have – perhaps I will in the morning unless he / they are around on the forum…..?

Why the twisted smiley? Haven’t been on here for a while….is there ongoing strife between SS and cetain forum members?

geoffj

Why the twisted smiley? Haven’t been on here for a while….is there ongoing strife between SS and cetain forum members?

Probably more historical now, but there have been interesting exchanges.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘pads not centred on rotors’ is closed to new replies.