Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pace 405 reviews please
  • glynP
    Free Member

What are they like? are they as heavy as the mags say? and has anyone got a pic of a small? They look like good bikes.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Simply looks like the hardtail in a modified version with a rear shock.

willv

Good bike had mine 9 months, very different to my heckler!

A tad heavy but i run a large with Pike Airs Mavic 819s etc

Its actaully back for a warranty issue as the frame has cracked at the main pivot weld 🙁

glynP
    Free Member

Anyone know the c to c seat tube size of the small frame

r6ymy
    Free Member

glynP – how short are you?
    I'm 5'7" and I'm happy on a medium with a 70mm stem, they're quite short in the top tube.
    Centre to centre on a medium is 13", from Pace's dimensions I reckon the small is an inch shorter.
    I don't think it's particularly heavy, frame with shock is 6.6lbs, complete bike 26.5lbs.
    Test rode lots of bikes before I bought this, I'm very happy with mine.

BadlyWiredDog

I've got one, I run it with a Pushed Pike up front and love it. Quite floaty but likes being ridden aggressively rather than just pointed aimlessly at stuff. Climbs really well, short top tube, low front end, sort of like a long-forked hardtail on steroids. Pedals quite directly too and feels quick.

It doesn't feel heavy to me, but I guess it's all relative. It managed to come top ten in the weekend warrior class at one of the Lee Quarry races, so it can't be too much of a slouch.

I think it's a brilliant all-round trail bike and I'd happily recommend it to anyone who wants a bike to ride rather than a swallow everything in sight sofa a la Whyte 46…

The cartridge bearings seem quite tough and have managed a year in the Peak now. Been through two sets of shock bushings in the same time. Be aware that you need to take the shock off and dismantle and clean and lube the seal occasionally or the anodising can wear. That's with the DT Swiss shock, don't know about the basic Rockshox one that's standard now.

Anyway, stating the obvious, but try and get a test ride if you can.

glynP
    Free Member

How much more expensive is the dt swiss shock, the frame sounds like a good buy to me!!

willv

Badlywiredog
    Do u just unscrew the aircan and grease the obvious?
    What grease do u use?

Will

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, just let the air out and unscrew it, clean up the seal, regrease with something suitable – I just use Finishline stuff cos it's what's sitting by the condiments right now – and screw it back up again. I don't know what the recommended grease is, TFT sell some stuff that would probably be ideal, but it costs money…

Paceman
    Free Member

Mine weighs 27 lbs in a medium with the DT Swiss shock, Fox Talas 32's, Hope Hoops and Mini brakes, and XT drivetrain. Not heavy in my opinion for a 5" travel screamer!

Loves singletrack… you'll never outride this bike in the UK. Check the Singletrack review http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/2009/06/pace-rc405/ … these guys know what they're talking about!

cymohndee
    Free Member

Now white powdercoat is dead there's no reason not to buy IMO. I rode a lot of bikes before settling on the Pace. Its looking a little heavy against the ever moving competition now, though not uncompetitive.Its got fantastic traction, supple without sapping energy, I think the geometry is spot on for a 5" bike, it just begs you to have a go, get a little out of your comfort zone. Its a Big grin bike for sure!

DeeJay
    Free Member

Its a great bike – even though I keep trying other bikes 'just to see' I keep comming back to the Pace. Weight is not a problem as it rides light and climbs superbly – but mine is a light build – as others have said watch out on sizing – I went up from medium to large to get the top tube right – I have had a 90mm and a 70mm stem on it but have recently got an 80mm which is spot on for me. I too have had the shock bushings replaced.

Bikescene at Guisborough had some good frame deals with the DT shock

Paceman
    Free Member

Where can replacement shock bushings be sourced?

DeeJay
    Free Member

Where can replacement shock bushings be sourced?

My LBS got me mine from Pace

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pace 405 reviews please’ is closed to new replies.