Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • P7 Torch
  • rnscotch

P7 torch which one? looking on dx and there is loads.. 2 mode, 5 mode, 8 mode or does it just not matter which one i get.

Has anyone got one?

woody2000

The DX SKU I bought was 12060

Don’t think anyone else bought one 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

MTE SSC P7 – 5 mode.

Richyb
    Free Member

I just bought the 2 mode, couldn’t think of why i’d need more.

AndyP
    Free Member

on ,off – all you need, surely?

DezB
    Free Member

Though it’s not a P7 (I wanted one which took AA batteries), I’d recommend this – http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909
    The catchily named UltraFire WF-606A Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen flashlight.

Just has on/off but it’s almost as bright as my L&M Stella. Bought it for taking the dog out, but it’d make a great helmet light.

rnscotch

Well that’s what i was thinking surely on & off is all that is needed… why you would need an 8 mode is beyond me.

takisawa2

You want the 5 mode SKU12060. The lower setting on the 2 mode is too low.
    Mid setting on the 5 mode is plenty of light for climbing / fire-roads etc.
    50/50 mid-hi switching gets nearly 2hrs on mine.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Richyb: You happy with the P7? I’ve got a Fenix that’s stopped working and i’m thinking of going large with the P7. How long do you get out of a single 18650 battery?

Richyb
    Free Member

sharkbait: very impressed with it so far although ive only actually used it once in anger. I kept it in the low setting for climbing and put it on full for downs and it was still fine after 1hr 50mins. Going by most reports you get around an hour on full power, Im just taking a spare battery out with me. Ive been using a Hope 10W HID for the last couple of years and the P7 is noticeably brighter. I’ll be out again tonight with it.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

How do you fix these things to helmet/bars?

Richyb
    Free Member

Helmet – Here
    Bars – Here

singletrackmind

Got teh 5 mode from Father Christmas this year. Batteries and charger arrived yesterday from DX. I bought a charger and a protected pair of 2500ma cells.
    The torch on ful power is very bright , big brightspot , way more than a Tesco AA torch. On medium the spot level is similar, but over a bigger area. on low the Tesco burns through, although even on low I imgine it would suffice for bash road climbs.
    Obviously larger than a Tesco AA , almost the same as the Tesco C cell toch in head diameter, but way shorter and lower body diameter.

Not used it seriuosly yet for a proper off road excursion, but the stobe is ace, tecno tecno tecno tecno

TinMan
    Free Member

Buy a 5 mode P7 (DX:12060), you will not be disappointed!
    Mine is brighter than my 4yr old Lumi HID. Using mid for ups and high for downs, lasts >1.5hrs which is fine for me & I’ve got a spare battery JIC.

Mate has 2 fenix, but they get lost in my beam, even on mid power.

DezB
    Free Member

Not used it seriuosly yet for a proper off road excursion,
    When do you fancy trying it out??

Richyb
    Free Member

Managed 2hrs 40mins on one battery last night, switching from low setting for climbs/flats to high setting for downhills.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Put my order in, hope it doesn’t take too long! Have also got a Fenix but that’s stopped working so that’s going back for refund hopefully. Also got two well known supermarket torches on the bars – modded to give a tidy unit with remote battery packs.

richc
    Free Member

anyone tried one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623 as it looks like it has potential

rnscotch

Yeah i saw the SKU: 12623 it was the one i was going to buy until a few people said to get the DX: 12060..

40mpg

I’ve ordered a 12325 as I didnt feel I needed the tactical crenelations to pwn people when I could use my bombers instead.

richc
    Free Member

what sort of run time are you getting on the 12325?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ive got a 16092 and 12060. The former has a brighter and wider beam. The latter is more of a spot by comparison. Run times similar and seem to be well over an hour per battery even in severe cold. I use 16092 on the bars 12060 on my heid. Best buy I made this year.

grizzpup
    Free Member

I have a mates p7 at the moment. Turned it on at 8am hi-power this morning and it’s still on now, albeit a bit dim! Awesome…..why are people saying they run out after an hour? Is this how long they last before cycling becomes dangerous or are yours just switching off?

cheers

40mpg

Not received it yet, but ordered on the basis of this review

richc
    Free Member

basically its the amount of time they can run at a sustained light output, as once the battery gets run down they just get dimmer and dimmer.

DrP

Has anyone done a ‘cut and shut’ on these and ran them from an external pack?

Plenty of 3-7v RC battery packs /AA packs could power them for longer, no?

DrP

walla24
    Free Member

do you need to fully discharge the battery before charging each time please?

Northwind

DrP, I run one of the 2-modes with a Turboferret 4-cell battery pack, works brilliantly. But I'm not sure if those are still available.

Both of mine are 2-mode, and yes the low power mode is too low to be very useful for cycling. Or so I think, it's actually barely less bright than the lower end Hopes or a Joystick and some people like those. That's the biggest failing of these though, 5 modes is too many, 2 mode is just right but not if the modes are wrong, I basically only use mine on full power.

And yes, they're ace. Better than most expensive lights. Durable too, I slightly broke one by dropping it right down 3 flights of stone steps but it was easily fixed, just needed a new front pane which I made out of a CD case 😉 It never went out.

uplink
    Free Member

You do realise walla & Northwind that you're replying to a thread that's over a year old don't you?

it's this new "improved" search function to blame I believe 😀

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Be careful if you buy it from Bestofferbuy.com I ordered a MTE SSC P7 – 5 mode from them and got a 1 mode (On/Off) torch and a charged with a US plug

Northwind

So we are!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘P7 Torch’ is closed to new replies.