Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • P7 Dropouts moving.
  • taxi25
    Free Member

I thought I’d run the P7 as a single speed for a while. But I cant stop the dropouts sliding so keeping the chain tensioned correctly is impossible. The locking bols are pretty wimpy and will strip out if I tighten them up anymore.
    Anyone else have this problem ? or am I just going to have to use a tensioner.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

they are rubbish. my (very practical) mate sold his after various attempts at fixes.

lipseal
    Free Member

That’s why I got rid of mine.

coatesy
    Free Member

Later 3 bolt dropouts(if you’ve only got a 2 bolt) may help the situation, speak to the guys at Orange.

Mackem

Happened on mine until I got the new dropouts, much more secure. I dont run singlespeed anymore so I coud sell the dropouts to you for a trivial price.

Jamze

What year is the P7?

Mine (2008ish?) has the disk calliper mounted on the dropout and suffered from this. Mine has gears, but put the rear brake on and the dropout would shift position. Got the newer dropouts with three bolts, drilled a hole for the third bolt, and seems better now.

toys19
    Free Member

If you are the original owner then orange will warranty you a set gratis, still rubbish though.

stupot
    Free Member

Yep, orange sent me the replacement version, thicker plate, larger screw. Seems to have ‘improved’ (not solved) the situation.

I keep wondering why the singlespeed dropout is aluminium not steel? I thought normal dropouts are aluminium so they snap if you wack your mech and the frame isn’t damaged, but is this needed on a singlespeed?

Jamze

Mine with the newer dropouts/extra bolt. Has been solid for six months (geared).

sm500
    Free Member

I have never had any problems with my sliding dropouts moving, it been run geared, singlespeed, alfine hubed, They have never caused me any of the issues that people seem to be having with theirs. my p7 is the 2006/07model with the disk brakes tabs welded on the frame of the p7 and not like the newer ones with the disk that attaches on the slider dropout.My dropouts are the original ones which are thinner than the replacement, and only 2 bolts!!

enfht
    Free Member

3 Bolts is the answer, speak to Orange

Jamze

Notice they’ve gone back to putting mounts on the frame now. Often wondered how much hassle it would be to get mounts put on mine.

stupot
    Free Member

weirdly its only ever the drive side that has slipped on mine?

Maybe I pedal too hard, and don’t brake enough?! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Greater forces on DS apparently.

Sliding drpoouts are alu for lightness, anodizing (over painting) & ease of machining.

stupot
    Free Member

Think you have it with the ease of manufacture, all the drop outs (gear hanger/ss) will be made of the same plate for ease.

Don’t think weight will matter on a P7 and the dropouts are painted.

Still reckon machinign a steel one would be a good bet for SS

taxi25
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, and the offer mackem. I need to slide the dropouts back and for to tension the chain so I can’t see Jamze fix working for me. I’m not the oricinal owner but I might contact Orange anyway. If not I’ll push the dropouts right forward and use a tensioner. My S/S phases usually only last a month or two, so there’s no point throwing to much money at the problem.

Jamze

For info, I can still adjust my dropout. Bit dark for another pic. The third bolt hole on the dropout itself is slotted too, undo all three bolts a bit, and it slides back and forward.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Hello
    Mine slipped loads, and was a real pain. I contacted Orange about it and they gave me some new drop outs, but they did the same.

I ended up drilling my frame bigger and re tapped the alluminium bit so it could hold a decent size bolt.

I also designed and made a set of stainless chain tensioners which sorted the lot out.

However, in my opinion it was a massive design problem and a bit crap. Chain tensionors are the way forward tho’.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘P7 Dropouts moving.’ is closed to new replies.