• This topic has 32 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Owt better than a Genesis Equilibrium F&F for £400ish for Winter/Commute?
  • Vortexracing

Used for Winter/commute bike, must have guards mounts, take at least 25mm tyres with guards and preferably rack mounts.

The only downside through reading the reviews and threads is the weight. Haven’t read a bad review as far as handling and ride quality is concerned.

Anything better for the same sort of money?

Stoner
    Free Member
    monkeychild
    Free Member

Stoner +1 looks ace that thing. Wish I could have got one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

No rim brake mounts on the London Road, assuming that’s the version of the Equilibrium you mean.

Love my Genesis. 6 years old and 10,000 or so miles and I can’t fault it. Can’t say the weight’s ever been a concern for me – every so often I think about replacing it and have had the cash to do so but I’ve not ridden anything I prefer. It only cost me £350 for the bike too.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got the disc version, it probably weighs more than I do but I love it. Proper plodder bike but great winter bike, weirdly hard to ride fast (that might not make sense but it is!), mine weighs about 11.5kg but that’s full guards, discs and Dynamo lights.

dickie
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium here with conventional brakes, lovely comfy bike being steel with a 27.2 post, full guards & 25mm tyres. I’ve enjoyed a winter riding this bike.
    The PX listed above is the same weight as the Genesis but I guess not as comfy.
    Lighter for a little more – Kinesis 4S at Merlin for £495.

lemonysam
    Free Member

weirdly hard to ride fast

Can’t say I agree with that. I’ll happily keep up on the local fast club runs on mine.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not saying it can’t do it, I’ve done club runs on mine. It’s just not that kinda bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

How much is a Kinesis 4S?

dickie
    Free Member

Lighter for a little more – Kinesis 4S at Merlin for £495

DT78
    Free Member

Just built up my equilibrium for commuting duties. It is heavy than plastic bike. But 100 miles I. And it already has its first kom so not slow…..

duckman

I got race blades and a rack on my dirty disco.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium you say? Mudgaurds you say? For commuting, winter riding and fast training you say?

OK go on then:

Honestly I love mine. It is the more expensive and slightyly more limited 853 edition which is lighter as a frame but has a steel fork so is significantly more comfortable than the carbon forked equivalent but ends up not weighing any less as a result.

It’s a steel bike so it doesn’t hustle along like a race bike; it’s slow on the acceleration, not as responsive and you feel more of the weight on the climbs. But once you’re up to speed, none of these things really make any difference.

I really do find myself being rather fond of this bike. Even though my race bike is a country mile more lush, lighter, more responsive etc I am not so sure it would be the one I kept if I only were allowed one bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, good frames. I had one a few years ago and enjoyed it; a couple of mates have them now and get on with them. Just watch the sizing (the geo might be different now though); I bought a 58 and it was probably a bit too small. I had a 130mm stem on mine and some long reach bars and the handling wasnt great.

Had mine powder coated black as the original paint fell off in a bike bag on the way to the alps. Dunno if the paint quality has improved now?

Vortexracing

Sizing seems to match my existing bike nearly perfectly, even down to reach and stack.

I have looked at the disc version, but by the time I have added new wheels, brakes etc. it comes to a fair bit more money and weighs another pound plus to the non-disc version.

I have been trawling the net for a 853 version geetee1972, and they all seem to have gone or are the wrong size.

Whilst looking I did see this at Paul Milne cycles

for £1250, down from £2250, seems a nice frame and fork if the 56cm is the right size for you.

Looks like the Equilibrium is the way to go in ginger bronze, which is good as it matches my hair 🙄 should look ok with my Campag Centaur on it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a 00 that I’ve been using as a winter bike, just a nice bike to rack up steady miles on, you’re never going to set any records but they are very comfy and have very predicable handling too

geetee1972
    Free Member

£1250 for that 953 Genesis is an outright bargin!

simondbarnes

Love my Equilibrium 853. Lots of pleasant miles on it 🙂

Vortexracing

an 853 would be nice, but I’m afraid it’s the old ‘gas pipe’ 725 if any.

I did enquire about a Hewitt 853 Alpine, but at £1350 for a frame and forks, before any optional extras, I quickly moved on 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a Disc Eq, I liked it but the Vaya I got semi-gifted rides slightly nicer IMO. Both around 2.2kg for the frame.

Can’t say either is better than Pompetamine/Kaffenbak (and I owned latter) for similar weight and less £££

NZCol

I paid 340 quid for a carbon cyclocross commuter f and f that takes guards, it’s great.

Vortexracing

I paid 340 quid for a carbon cyclocross commuter f and f that takes guards, it’s great

any link to it?

NZCol

One of these
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Toray-T700-carbon-frames-cyclocross-frame-AC024-with-3k-weave-matt-finish-2years-of-warranty/595551452.html

Built with 11psd Ultegra, Stans440/Hope Pro2 and various other bits for about 1500 total. HAs mudguards on it just now.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The thing with cheap carbon is that it’s, well, cheap carbon. It won’t be light and strong.

NZCol

Is that right, well the layup looks pretty good to me ( I used to work with carbon fibre ), its well finished and it hasn’t fallen apart yet after about 4000 miles. In fact Its plenty light enough, complete bike with ultegra and hydro disks is about 8.3kg. The alignment which was what worried me is spot on so for the price i reckon its a quite nice bike thanks and I severely doubt its any worse than a major manufacturers bike in a similar price point.

plus-one

3 guys I know are running those ican frames as winter mile munchers… Look well made and have taken a fair bit of abuse !!

I’ll be getting one as a winter bike when funds allow 🙂

Vortexracing

Cheers for the input guys, I’ll have a serious think about the Ican. I’m just a bit wary, but that’s just me, not a reflection on the frame. 🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

n fact Its plenty light enough, complete bike with ultegra and hydro disks is about 8.3kg.

OK so it’s strong and cheap then. 8.3kg may well be ‘light enough’ but that’s what my steel Equilibrium weighs as well and I don’t consider that light. But you’re right, it’s light enough for commuting and training.

Is it comfy?

Vortexracing

Just looked at the geo on the Chines ones and they seem a bit different t my current frame, the genesis on the other hand is a near identical match, I think on that basis I will go steel.

DT78
    Free Member

My 725 with 105 and RS21s weighs in at 9.4kg. Not exactly a featherweight but not that bad. For some reason I actually prefer climbing on it over my sub 8kg carbon bike maybe down to body position / geometry. It definitely does not go round corners as fast as the race bike but its not designed for that.

Vortexracing

Mine will have Hope pro3’s and Campag Centaur so hopefully will come in around the same weight.

Oh and can you fit 28’s on them with guards?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Oh and can you fit 28’s on them with guards?

it’s tight but yes.

TiRed

I’d get a CAAD8, personally. Mudguard mounts, takes 25c tyres, race geometry but long head tube. Mate it with a Tubus fly rack. Avoid white for a winter bike would be my suggestion (our is white!).

That 953 is a bargain, I’ve wanted one as a fixed wheel for some time.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Owt better than a Genesis Equilibrium F&F for £400ish for Winter/Commute?’ is closed to new replies.