Home Forums Bike Forum overnight parking in the pentlands

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • overnight parking in the pentlands
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

where’s the best (i.e. safest) place to leave my car overnight in the pentlands?

want to bivvy out, within a km or 2 of the car, on my way up north next week. so ideally somewhere near some trails, and somewhere where its not going to get torched by neds! (all valuables will be removed from the car, of course!)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We regularly see overnighters in the Pentlands – but I’m not sure if it’s encouraged.

If I had a car to leave – and want to cycle an interesting route I’d park at Nine Mile Burn (houses nearbly, no neds etc) and follow the circular route North initially – towards the usual reseviors and trails. Lots of shade from the wind, no military action, but be aware of lots of farmer activity and possible sensitivity.

But I’ve never done it. However as an early morning walker and biker – that’s where’s I’d choose to be unobtrusive.

#Edit:
    Rougly- around here (and the if you click on steet view the weather is always like this!):
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Nine+Mile+Burn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4887c2097e386a79:0x260c681aff2fe5d1,Nine+Mile+Burn,+Penicuik,+Midlothian&gl=uk&ei=X5yLTr_zDpSv8QOBy_HRBg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Northwind

You could leave it outside my house in Currie if you like… Not actually in the pentlands (just a couple of minute’s ride from the foot of Poet’s Glen though). Be pretty safe from orrible kids here though not so much for terrible drivers…

druidh
    Free Member

Not best to leave it in one of the car parks as there has been the occasional break-in.

Camping/bivvying is OK almost anywhere although, as you can imagine, spots near the population centres might see the occasional “visitor”.

There are a couple of nice spots near Harlaw and Clubbiedean Reservoirs. The Borestane (NT143598) is possibly a better bet, with some woods and a bit of shelter in amongst some rocks and with a good view north.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Ninemileburn would also be my suggestion.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks guys, will look into this! i don’t know the pentlands, so will dig out a map…
    Northwind – thanks for the offer – i may be in touch!

ojom
    Free Member

HM – you are welcome to leave it at mine also, EH13 0HP.

The pentlands are my back garden 🙂

It, like Currie, is a very quiet area. Plus, if you wanted to store a bike or twa in the garage you would be most welcome.

druidh
    Free Member

thebikechain – you might want to look into the fact that a lot of your neighbours are letting their dogs loose in your garden.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

aw, thanks again guys! looking at the weather, i may seek alternative arangements, but if its good, then i’ll be in my bag!

thanks again 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

Ive seen some folks camping not far fromm the waterfall on ‘Green Cleugh’ which Is about 20 minutes cycle from Flotterstone car park . Though to be honest I’d park up near loganlea reservoir which would give you a 10minute cycle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘overnight parking in the pentlands’ is closed to new replies.